Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Disney with 2 year old

Okay, so we are thinking about going to Orlando for 3 nights at the end of September. I've been to all the parks recently (in the last 5 years) including Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Universal, in addition to all the Disney parks. I have never been with a child, though, and I'm not sure what he would or wouldn't like!

For myself, I would really LOVE to see the Harry Potter attraction at Universal. I am a big fan of the books and movies. I know it would be above DS's head, but would he enjoy it at all?

We would probably only do one or two parks at most, or one park and sea world or something. Our plan is to stay OUTSIDE Disney, probably either the Loews hotel there at the boardwalk to downtown disney (and across from universal) or at the hilton buena vista which is right across from downtown disney. Both hotels have shuttles to all the parks, the hilton has the extra hours pass included int he price, loews has a beach and lots of water play areas for kids, so they both look awesome.

I can't figure out if DS would like Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, or Epcot. Magic Kingdom seems best for younger kids, and has lots of ammenities for toddlers and families... but DS loves zoos...

Thoughts? I don't see him sitting still for "shows" unless it's naptime and he's exhausted (which would probably see us headed back for the hotel). Frankly, I don't like to sit through the shows either. I guess Epcot is probably least likely to capture his interest.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Disney with 2 year old

We went last year when DS was a little over two in October. We stayed off site, and only did the Disney parks. Personally as much as I wanted to go see the Harry Potter stuff, that park seemed to have so little that DS could do, and would be too much work for us to enjoy, we chose to put it off till he is older.

Were there during food and wine festival. so Epcot was ok with him, but was lots of walking, and not the most exciting for the kids with us. The studios was ok, he loves the car stunt show, and slept in the carrier for us to do some of the other shows. Overall, it was not our favorite park.

The best was Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. He loved the Safari Ride, and seeing the animals. He really enjoyed the Lion King show, and sat right through it all. He had lots of places to run and had a great time. Magic Kingdom, is so great, he could do tons of rides, did Country Bear show no problem and more. He really enjoyed it a lot.

For me I enjoyed have a carrier, even though DS is really tall in the Ergo, I got him to sleep and continued to do things. He rode People Mover and a few others asleep and we did shows that way too.

Two is a fun time to take kids and they are free!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we took my daughter to disneyland/california adventure at just over 3 years old. She was scared of literally ALL the rides at disneyland except for maybe dumbo. She of course loved the characters and the princesses. And the mickeys playland. But we couldn't enjoy any rides with her. They all start by getting in a car and going into a dark tunnel. She is 7 now and is still afraid of most rides (we just went to Busch Gardens which is different, but she can't do many rides). I feel that she was just too young at 3 to really enjoy disney.
I can't wait to go again though. My next is going to be 4 and we have one on the way, so it will be a few years yet.
If you go, just be prepared to do the child swap with your husband. And go to one park for two days, because everything takes so much longer with a child.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Magic Kingdom is the most young-kid-friendly park at Disney. It has the most things he'll like to do. It will also be the busiest, but many of the long lines have interactive queues that keep the kids entertained while they wait.

My kids love Animal Kingdom, but they also LOVE shows. The 3 shows there are awesome (Lion King - 30min, Nemo - 40min, and Flights of Wonder - 30 min), but if he won't sit for shows there are only 2 rides and 2 trails (animal viewing) that he can go on, plus the boneyard dig/playground.

My kids love Epcot too, but again, there is not a whole lot for littles to do: Spaceship Earth (ride late in the day for no line vs early in the day for a long line), Nemo Ride, Journey into Imagination, Maelstrom, and Gran Fiesta Tour. There are some good shows too (Ellen's Energy Adventure, performances around "World Showcase", Turtle Talk with Crush, and EO, if you like Michael Jackson), but if he won't sit . . . .

I haven't been to Harry Potter, but my niece went. After talking to her and reading around on-line, we decided to wait until the kids are older to take them there. It's super-crowded, long lines to wait for everything and they're too little to ride anything. Much as DH and I love HP, it will have to wait.

HTH

Last edited by lanwenyi; 07-10-2012 at 11:05 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:

We spent 4 days at Disney World when DD was 4 and DS was 2. We did 1 day at AK, 2 days at MK and 1 day at Hollywood Studios. We skipped Epcot all together because it seems geared more towards an older kids age group. My DD loved them all, but especially MK. DS was indifferent. He was such and easy going baby and he didn't really fuss at anything. We even say through a few shows which he did fine with.

We went to Sea World when DD was 15 mos old and she LOVED it. If I only had a younger child, I'd probably pick Sea World over the others.

eta: I don't feel that AK really had all THAT many animals. And even the ones they did have were way out on the plains or in the fields when you were on the ride. I'm not sure a 2 yr old would be able to focus (can't think of a better word) on the animals like in a true zoo atmosphere where you can go at your own pace.

Last edited by TS8213; 07-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Mine is a little older (he was 3 1/2 when we were there) but he loved MK and Epcot the best. I thought he'd like Animal Kingdom (I know I do) because he loves animals and zoos, but there really weren't many rides appropriate for him. He did love the safari though. Epcot worked much better for us.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did Disney in February this year and my youngest was 13 months then. We did all 4 parks and he did great. He never even cried the whole time and got to ride a surprising amount of rides for his age. We did it with a stroller and a mai tei!
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

How did you explain the rides so your kids weren't scared, before you got on? DS is just now where he'll ride a carousel without being afraid.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

ds #1 was 2 1/2 and DS 2 was 5 months.. we stayed at the double tree right outside the park..loved the hotel we had a king with a suit attached (couch tv in another room that we converted to DS's room.

Both did really well at Magic Kingdom we stayed the whole day stroller naps and all. I was convinced that we would only stay 3 hours tops. It was great. we did not do the other parks. what I loved about MK is that we could ride all the rides together including the 5month old
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

hmm DS is scared of lots of things but rides not so much. he was already used o the train at the zoo and some small kiddy rides at a local theme park. Really getting to ride with mom dad really helped. Plus he knew caracters like dumbo and pooh
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote