Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Disney with 2 year old

Just wanted to add that the best tip I have to share with a mom with a young kid would be to take advantage of the baby care centers. All the main parks have one, and they are probably the least crowded place on the whole property. After we went without a nap for DS the first day, I started stopping in them every day around our afternoon nap time for an hour or so. It was nice and cool, there were comfy rocking chairs to nurse in, and toys and movies for the kids to watch. Two of the four days we did this, we had the whole place to ourselves (not including the staff). Especially if you are staying off property, you'll need a nice quiet place to rest with a toddler.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've taken the kids twice so far and will go in Jan/Feb again next year. Our goal is that every kid go when they are 3.

First trip dd1 was 3 and dd2 3 months. DD1 didn't like many of the rides she couldn't watch first (so we did dumbo and the carousel and tea cups most often). She would go on a few other rides (like small world) but not much. But she LOVED just wandering the parks and looking at stuff. She didn't like the Mickey characters but loved the princesses and anyone who had a 'real' face. But she didn't mind waving at Mickey from a distance. We took her to all 4 parks and she loved Magic Kingdom the best. She liked Animal kingdom (mostly the safari ride) but didn't last as long there as at Magic Kingdom. She did not care for Hollywood studios at all. She like Epcot but got tired walking around the world showcase about 1/2 way through.

Our 2nd trip, dd1 was 6, dd2 was 3 1/2 and ds was 15 months. We only did Magic Kingdom for 3 days - didn't go to any of the other parks. DD1 LOVED everything about the parks. The first day she was there, everyone was in costume and she enjoyed herself. By the 2nd day she was gushing over meeting Winnie the Pooh (who she hadn't had any interest in in years) and definitely thought the characters were real. DD2 LOVED any and all rides - especially dumbo and it's a small world. DD2 was hit or miss about the characters. She was never afraid of them but sometimes just didn't want to go see them. DS wasn't a big fan of rides that went in a circle (dumbo) but loved all the characters. He wasn't at all afraid of them.

So how your ds does at the park probably more depends on his temperment. When we went when dd1 was 3 we spend a lot of time wandering and just looking at everything at the parks which was a lot of fun. There is a lot to just look at even if you don't ride rides. Last trip we rode a ton of rides (especially in the morning when the parks were rather dead so we just walked on to ride after ride). My Mom was with us so she often took ds to just go look around and he loved just looking at stuff.

If I were to recommend just 1 park, I would recommend Magic Kingdom for small kids. It has to most to see and do for all temperments of kids.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
We've taken the kids twice so far and will go in Jan/Feb again next year. Our goal is that every kid go when they are 3.

First trip dd1 was 3 and dd2 3 months. DD1 didn't like many of the rides she couldn't watch first (so we did dumbo and the carousel and tea cups most often). She would go on a few other rides (like small world) but not much. But she LOVED just wandering the parks and looking at stuff. She didn't like the Mickey characters but loved the princesses and anyone who had a 'real' face. But she didn't mind waving at Mickey from a distance. We took her to all 4 parks and she loved Magic Kingdom the best. She liked Animal kingdom (mostly the safari ride) but didn't last as long there as at Magic Kingdom. She did not care for Hollywood studios at all. She like Epcot but got tired walking around the world showcase about 1/2 way through.

Our 2nd trip, dd1 was 6, dd2 was 3 1/2 and ds was 15 months. We only did Magic Kingdom for 3 days - didn't go to any of the other parks. DD1 LOVED everything about the parks. The first day she was there, everyone was in costume and she enjoyed herself. By the 2nd day she was gushing over meeting Winnie the Pooh (who she hadn't had any interest in in years) and definitely thought the characters were real. DD2 LOVED any and all rides - especially dumbo and it's a small world. DD2 was hit or miss about the characters. She was never afraid of them but sometimes just didn't want to go see them. DS wasn't a big fan of rides that went in a circle (dumbo) but loved all the characters. He wasn't at all afraid of them.

So how your ds does at the park probably more depends on his temperment. When we went when dd1 was 3 we spend a lot of time wandering and just looking at everything at the parks which was a lot of fun. There is a lot to just look at even if you don't ride rides. Last trip we rode a ton of rides (especially in the morning when the parks were rather dead so we just walked on to ride after ride). My Mom was with us so she often took ds to just go look around and he loved just looking at stuff.

If I were to recommend just 1 park, I would recommend Magic Kingdom for small kids. It has to most to see and do for all temperments of kids.
Thanks everyone this has all been immensely helpful! We decided to focus on magic kingdom like everyone suggested, and we are just trying to decide where to stay, now, but have decided we'll stay in the park complex somewhere. I'll be honest... I get a little motion sick, so it won't bother me too much if DS doesn't ride a lot of stuff

It may seem odd to go to a park if you can't ride stuff, but like this mama mentioned, I just enjoy wandering and looking at stuff. We really only rode 2 or 3 things in the Magic Kingdom when DH and I went alone last time, but I was totally entertained just walking around looking at stuff. I *will* ride things like roller coasters, etc, but if it's a gravity ride that really pulls on you I'll just hurl, so we don't even have to worry about wanting to ride that sort of thing.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love staying on property-- it is so convenient. We also like doing the meal plan, and it would be great with a two year old since you would not have to pay for him. There will be ample food, and most places that aren't buffets will still bring something for him (in our experience). We always book a couple of character meals, and they are wonderful.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You will get the most bang for your buck at the Magic Kingdom with a 2 year old. We've been three times since my daughter was born (when she was 14 months, 2 years and 2.5 years). There are only a few rides she couldn't go on. She loved the characters and rides. It's very family friendly.

If your child likes animals, Animal Kingdom obviously has lots of those.
Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios all have stuff for a 2 year old, but nothing touches MK!

We haven't taken the kids to Universal yet. Most of the rides and stuff is for older kids or grown ups, so we plan to tackle that soon without the kids, and take them when they are older.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I want to start this post off saying I adore taking DS to any of the Disney parks and am so glad we never waited. Because of living situations (being closer to some parks), annual passes and the inlaws living in Florida and hooking us up with a free time share, DS has been to Disneyland over 50 times starting at 2 months old, Disneyland Paris twice, with a current trip planned for October, first trip at 19 months and WDW once at 26 months. So obviously as you can see we see Disney as great even for little guys.

Since DS was really used to the parks some things aren't as big of an issue, like DS loves the characters, so you might be surprised, I say walk by them, maybe try a meal with them, but don't force it. Often the characters at meals will double check on smaller kids before coming over since some are terrified, which can be great. But I agree face characters tend to be a good start.

For rides I think a great way to build interest is by using youtube. You can find ride ons of many of the rides and many say it helps kids from being as scared since they are more familar with what is going to happen. We found they helped, as well as got DS excited about future trips. They also fill in for when he is so sad he has to wait for another trip (I created a Disney Park Addict ).

DS started to get more scared of Pirates as he got older, because of the drops (WDW was so much easier though as it only has one!), we watched videos, talked about the drops, and made a deal he would ride, because he loves the rest of the ride so much, but would get a special pirate gun to shot the drops if they scared him. This gave him power and he was so much better! We actually did this at two other parks later, since because of moving it has been longer between visits. I think giving them an item to scare away stuff can help a lot.

I think starting with rides that aren't as dark is a great place to begin. Small World is a huge favorite for little kids, carousel, and dumbo are also great. Realise that many rides in Fantasyland are darker then most people expect, I think Winnie the Pooh is good and Peter Pan are good but Snow White and Pinnocuio are dark!

I do agree that the Baby centers are fantastic! When DS was in diapers we loved them. Disneylands have great little toliets too, but not sure of WDWs amenities.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are going in dec. Thursday -Monday staying on site

Have to work out the kinks but here is the plan--would also like advice too.

Thursday
3:00--T-Rex Restaurant--we have reservations already
Check into hotel
Hollywood studios--go on Toy Story ride, Phenias and Ferb ride, see Cars. Late showing for Fantasmic!

Friday-Animal Kingdom in the am until we get wiped out, Dinoland, Dino Dig, Safari, Lion King show, Nemo (I think That is there could be wrong)
Night-Epcot-If not to tired--will stay extended hrs--will talk to squirt and check out the countries check out some rides

Saturday--Still up in the air may go back to Hollywood to check out the parade at 3 May go to epcot if we feel we missed something. My even go to Magic Kingdom

Sunday-Character Breakfast(have reservations)
Rest during the day
Mickeys Christmas Party--already bought tickets.

Figured we could get all of Magic Kingdom in then--parades fireworks shows, Merry go round, Train.....

What I still need to figure out is the rest of our dining situation. May decide to do one sitdown meal a day. I think I want Italian bc we are living in the South and can not get the Italian food we are use to. Any dining ideas will be helpful

I think with my kiddos they will absolutely love the shows and the atmosphere. I want to make sure they meet the characters and that is why I did the breakfast.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post

Thursday
Check into hotel
Hollywood studios--go on Toy Story ride, Phenias and Ferb ride, see Cars. Late showing for Fantasmic!

Friday-Animal Kingdom in the am until we get wiped out, Dinoland, Dino Dig, Safari, Lion King show, Nemo (I think That is there could be wrong)
Night-Epcot-If not to tired--will stay extended hrs--will talk to squirt and check out the countries check out some rides

Saturday--Still up in the air may go back to Hollywood to check out the parade at 3 May go to epcot if we feel we missed something. My even go to Magic Kingdom

Rest during the day

Figured we could get all of Magic Kingdom in then--parades fireworks shows, Merry go round, Train.....

What I still need to figure out is the rest of our dining situation. May decide to do one sitdown meal a day. I think I want Italian bc we are living in the South and can not get the Italian food we are use to. Any dining ideas will be helpful

I think with my kiddos they will absolutely love the shows and the atmosphere. I want to make sure they meet the characters and that is why I did the breakfast.
Ok I see things I thought I would point out, first as far as I can tell there is no Phineas and Ferb ride at disney. Next to hit all the shows, to see the animals and to dinoland expect to get to Animal Kingdom near opening and to stay till close. The park is very big, and there is a lot to see and with show schedules it can be tough to take it all in. Personally I would plan more magic kingdom time but that's me. Also I think Disney food isn't that great overall, I wouldn't expect great Italuan food but off site I bet you can get good stuff. That's quick in my nook
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post

Thursday
Check into hotel
Hollywood studios--go on Toy Story ride, Phenias and Ferb ride, see Cars. Late showing for Fantasmic! If you are going at a peak time in December, you may not be able to ride TSM if you arrive that late. Likely all of the fast passes will be gone, and that ride regularly has waits of 180+min. A better option for this day might be Animal Kingdom as it is dead in the evening and that is a great time to see the animals! If I had to leave out a park with kids, it would be the Studios.

Night-Epcot-If not to tired--will stay extended hrs--will talk to squirt and check out the countries check out some rides Again, I'd hit AK in the afternoon, and do Epcot in the morning. Send hubby to snag a single fast pass to Soarin' and Test Track so you can FP and Baby Swap those rides later--the hoard of people will head to RIDE those first. While he is doing that, you and kid ride Nemo. Then when hubby catches up, ride it again . . . and again. . . and again. We can usually ride 4 or 5 times in a row first thing in the morning.

Saturday--Still up in the air may go back to Hollywood to check out the parade at 3 May go to epcot if we feel we missed something. My even go to Magic Kingdom I'd use this day to go to MK at rope drop. There is just no way to do everything at MK during a party, and being there at rope drop is magical. I always tear up walking down Main Street while the music plays. Do all of Fantasyland first thing. Ride Dumbo first--while in line, have hubby snag a Peter Pan fast pass. After Dumbo, ride PP. Then go ride Small World, then Pooh. When you get off Pooh, grab a FP (since your new time should be open). Then head to one of the bigger rides, snagging a FP for another ride en route. Only grab one FP for big rides because you will use one FP, then get a Baby Swap tag for the other adult.

Rest during the day

My favorite meals at WDW are Garden Grill at the Land in Epcot, anything at Crystal Palace in MK (both are character meals). I also love Ohana at the Poly and anything at Grand Floridian.

Last edited by soonerfan; 07-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma

Thursday
Check into hotel

Rest during the day

We went in February of this year:
Hollywood studios was hands down the favorite park of all of my kids, even the 4yr old. They all loved Tower of Terror, The Pixar parade in HS, is the best parade too! And Fantasmic is definitely worth staying until closing for! If you wait until the crowd leaves after fantasmic, you can enjoy a leisurely stroll down Sunset Blvd under the street lights
The epcot fireworks are nice too. All of my kids loved test track, the countries will bore small children to tears. Some of my kids liked Mission Space, but it made me sick.

Animal kingdom closes early each day (by dark) so getting there at opening and staying till closing is just about the only way to try to take it all in.
Be sure to ride Everest, it is awesome... You can see into the other parks from the top. The view is amazing. The safari ride was very neat and educational. Dinosaur was a cute ride but it is bumpy & jerky, prepare for whiplash.

Plan plenty of time for magic kingdom!!!

We ate breakfast before we went each morning and packed lunches & snacks, then ate supper late at our villa each night, except for our MK day because it was leap day (open all night) we stayed until 11:30pm, so we ate at the cafe by the speedway that night!
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote