Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Advice or suggestions please

My son is very private with his body. He doesn't want to change his clothes if anyone besides me can see him. Even if we are home alone he likes me to shut his door so nobody can see his private area.
The problem is that he is now attending summer camp each day for the summer. They change clothes twice a day for swim lessons. He is 3 weeks into camp now but wont swim. He loves swimming at home and had lessons all summer last year so he is capable. Unfortanetly, there is no privacy in the boys bunk for changing..they all change clothes together in a sort of shed.
The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to find him some underwear that is super quick drying that he can wear under his bathing suit and not have to remove at all during the day when he changes. He wears a 4T cotton underwear and they just don't dry very quickly. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what would be a good alternative or place I could find something like this?

:?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Teach him how to shelf his body and change very quickly! Make it a game if you can. My son is shy, as well, but we've worked on turning our backs, finding a corner, ect.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice or suggestions please

Could he just get a nylon suit that dries quickly and wear it all day instead of shorts?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Teach him how to shelf his body and change very quickly! Make it a game if you can. My son is shy, as well, but we've worked on turning our backs, finding a corner, ect.
I would encourage him to find a corner or turn away from the others. Can he wrap a towel around him and slip off his bottoms and pull up clean undies? That would keep things covered.

I would be sad that he was missing out on that because of the changing issue. Hope you find something to help him.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My brother was like that with family bu walkin on all of us. I would try wrapping towel around & changing quick if no bathroom he could go to. Or a dad long tshirt that covers there & just take off after to hide if towel not work. I always figured hide from guys not girls with me... we all had the same parts. Girls would try to use twels but they were like hand ones in school so not too big a help.... some had bigger boobs & some small....I ffigured that was liffe...always gonna b girls with bigger boobs than i & smaller......
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Reality
Registered Users

I think you should worry more about his obvious body issues instead of condoning it. Little man should not be worried about little things like that.... He needs to realize none of the other kids at that age care!! If it continues high school is going to be a major wake up call!
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
I think you should worry more about his obvious body issues instead of condoning it. Little man should not be worried about little things like that.... He needs to realize none of the other kids at that age care!! If it continues high school is going to be a major wake up call!
Have you ever had a child this age? It's not uncommon for them to start to be aware of their bodies. And be shy about it. I'm leaning towards maybe you haven't experienced this age yet. It's an age where kids are starting to exert a lot of independent over things. I don't think this child has 'body issues' he is uncomfortable. My oldest would be too. My youngest would be glad to walk around naked. Lol. It's not that weird.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would send him in with a long shirt that covers all 'private' areas.

ALL my kids have been private with their bodies at that age. It's normal. We teach them to keep their privates private so I don't think it's a big deal!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Is there adult supervision during the change? can someone hold up a towel for him?

I dont think he is "abnormal" at all. In fact, it is quite mature of him to understand about privacy....its doesnt mean anything is "wrong" with him
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My dd is like that and has been for years (she's almost 8 now). I just taught her how to get changed in a way that she's ok with and we did discuss having one of the supervisors hold a towel as one of the options.

You could even sew some velcro on the top of his towel so he could put it around his waist and it would stay put.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote