Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:
eBay WWYD

I know I'm not a major poster and nobody knows me, but please tell me what you would do?

My class ring and softball ring were stolen from my car in 1997. I believe it was a jealousy thing because I had a teammate who was jealous of my success (I was a super good softball player and went to college and played on a scholarship) and she thought I wanted her (really ugly) boyfriend. So anyway, rings were stolen, other stuff left in the car. My mom found the softball ring years later hanging behind the counter in a gas station in our home town.

Now, some random 1979 alum from my HS sent me an email and said my ring is on ebay. They searched our high school name and saw it and wanted to let me know. And sure enough, it is!!! I contacted the seller and explained it to them but really, will they believe me? They are in Florida and I went to school in So California!!! Is there anything I can do except hope they have a heart and if they don't, pay for it to get it back?

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
sojomisa
Registered
seller

Re: eBay WWYD

Did you file a police report when it was stolen? If so, I would contact ebay. I hope you get it back.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_jodi View Post
I know I'm not a major poster and nobody knows me, but please tell me what you would do?

My class ring and softball ring were stolen from my car in 1997. I believe it was a jealousy thing because I had a teammate who was jealous of my success (I was a super good softball player and went to college and played on a scholarship) and she thought I wanted her (really ugly) boyfriend. So anyway, rings were stolen, other stuff left in the car. My mom found the softball ring years later hanging behind the counter in a gas station in our home town.

Now, some random 1979 alum from my HS sent me an email and said my ring is on ebay. They searched our high school name and saw it and wanted to let me know. And sure enough, it is!!! I contacted the seller and explained it to them but really, will they believe me? They are in Florida and I went to school in So California!!! Is there anything I can do except hope they have a heart and if they don't, pay for it to get it back?

I would have asked them how the obtained it before sharing my story

Contact Ebay real quick and also make sure to take a screen shot of the listing just in case they remove it without responding.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is crazy that he found it listed and found you to contact you! I would get on the phone with eBay.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

No police report. We ordered replacements but I guess never thought anything would come of it if we filed. My parents were not thrilled, of course, but only the small triangular window in the back driver side of the car was broken and the car was old and there was no way they would ever catch who did it, kwim?

I took screen shots, thanks for the suggestion! I am about to go to bed but will email ebay in the morning. I am just in shock it is out there. Like I said, I have replacements, but I want my ring - my original ring! - back, not out in some random person's possession. It has my signature on the inside!! And my name on the ring does not match the name in my sig because I go by Jodi but that is not my real name. My mom liked one and dad liked another so they named me Johanna but call me Jodi.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_jodi
No police report. We ordered replacements but I guess never thought anything would come of it if we filed. My parents were not thrilled, of course, but only the small triangular window in the back driver side of the car was broken and the car was old and there was no way they would ever catch who did it, kwim?

I took screen shots, thanks for the suggestion! I am about to go to bed but will email ebay in the morning. I am just in shock it is out there. Like I said, I have replacements, but I want my ring - my original ring! - back, not out in some random person's possession. It has my signature on the inside!! And my name on the ring does not match the name in my sig because I go by Jodi but that is not my real name. My mom liked one and dad liked another so they named me Johanna but call me Jodi.
Does your license have the same signature? Your SS card? Anything permanent like that? If so, scan it and include it (or tell them you can do so) and the fact the ring has your signature in the email to eBay. Is there any way to contact the ring distributor and get a copy of your original purchase order with your info and signature? I would try that, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

Does your license have the same signature? Your SS card? Anything permanent like that? If so, scan it and include it (or tell them you can do so) and the fact the ring has your signature in the email to eBay. Is there any way to contact the ring distributor and get a copy of your original purchase order with your info and signature? I would try that, too.

Yes, if you can prove that it's unique, it's actually illegal to sell stolen items. Even if you did not know it was illegal.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked at my duplicate and it is just my name in a signature font on the inside. My current license has my married name and the ring has my maiden name since it is from 15 years ago. But I could send it to ebay if needed. I would not send it to the seller and chance identity theft. I do have two other rings that say Jodi and have similar info on them. One is my championship softball ring from HS and the other is my college ring from when we won the MVC championships. I have not heard back from the seller yet this morning so I will email ebay shortly.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_jodi
I looked at my duplicate and it is just my name in a signature font on the inside. My current license has my married name and the ring has my maiden name since it is from 15 years ago. But I could send it to ebay if needed. I would not send it to the seller and chance identity theft. I do have two other rings that say Jodi and have similar info on them. One is my championship softball ring from HS and the other is my college ring from when we won the MVC championships. I have not heard back from the seller yet this morning so I will email ebay shortly.
Omg no, do not send the seller any info! Lol, I meant eBay. I think if you can show them you are that person, they may do something.

Don't be surprised if the seller pulls the listing, though. Stolen goods scare? I doubt they'll respond or leave it up. I wish you had asked before contacting them, and just contacted eBay, so they couldn't run off with it.

Of course they may be totally innocent and a moral person, and cooperate. Let's hope!

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am guessing lots of the class rings on ebay are stolen or lost/found. It is sad to see the ones with full names being sold. Did the seller pull the listing?