Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: Second + children...

Need? Another carseat is all we ever "needed".

We went pretty minimal with our 4th baby. Just nb prefolds, 3 wool sleep sacks to go over them, 6 white side-snap tees (that we already had), sling (already had), bouncy seat (already had) and a pkg of Aden&Anais swaddle blankets that I got on super uber discount because they were an unpopular color. That's it.

Well, except for the carseat.

Later on I got an Inglesina Fast Table Chair in lieu of a highchair. LOVE it. My favorite new thing, besides the baby herself.

Advertisement

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks so much everyone!
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
addicteddad
Registered Users

We went simple with DS, and we still think we can do with even less if/when we have a second.
Now, if our second is a spitter or a pucker, we may get to use the bibs we never did with ds.
If our second likes pacifiers we may get to use some of the dozen+ pacifiers we have in a glass jar.
We hope to get more use out of our AR co-sleeper given that DS will likely still be in and out of our bed and traditional co-sleeping might be a safety issue in a queen bed if he tries to get in.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A boppy pillow. I didn't get one for #1. Thought I'd use a regular pillow to support her. I have neck issues so I needed extra support. Yeah regular pillow did not work. Boppy was the first thing I bought when pregnant with number 2. We pretty much got everything for #1 so we didn't need anything. There were a couple of toys that i wanted that we didn't get for #1, but other then that we didn't need anything else. I did get a Bumbo for #2 and he hated it so we didn't use it but twice.

We did use a cradle for #2 that we didn't for number #1, but we had it for number #1. We just used her pack n play in our room until she moved to her crib. DH didn't actually finish building the cradle until #1 was in her crib.

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is what I learned for #2:

No bottles, no pacis, no bibs, no crib. Better changing table. No "cute" clothes, strictly comfort. No HEP B vax as it is utterly ridiculous to be routine for newborns. And I won't bother trying to feed this one any mush.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #26
happiness
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought so much about what items I needed with my first, but when my second came I realized all I needed was a few blankets and clothes. I bought a swing off craigslist, we bought a new mattress for a hand-me down crib. Most of my seconds clothing came as hand-me downs and I reused bottles. Ugh, all the time I spent researching baby gear with my first!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

We had DD 2 years ago, so with DS we bought almost everything new, except a crib. We upgraded our Teutonia stroller (left it with the grandparents) for 2 Orbit Baby G2 strollers and got the skateboard to on them. Now, we have a stroller in each vehicle. It's really helpful!

I love having my babies in a bassinet, so we have those in the house and they were used everyday until they were about 3 months old.

As for baby carriers, DS is a chunk, so the Bjorns didn't last long. But, I love my Moby Wrap anyway, so it worked out. DH also has his own carriers that fit him better, and then, we also don't need to resize them all the time.

Do what works best. If you remember what you liked, you'll probably do more of that.

Last edited by HugeBabyBoy; 07-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
The lifesaver I needed for my second was the bassinet on wheels. I could put him in there, sit down, push it with my foot and peel carrots. When he fell asleep I didn't have to worry about having a baby attached to me, although I did have an SSC for outings. But those first couple months the wheelie bassinet saved my sanity.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb
Here is what I learned for #2:

No bottles, no pacis, no bibs, no crib. Better changing table. No "cute" clothes, strictly comfort. No HEP B vax as it is utterly ridiculous to be routine for newborns. And I won't bother trying to feed this one any mush.
Nice. Although we still like avocado and sweet potato mush around here.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #30
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

There were a lot of things that I picked up for my second, mainly for 2 reasons - we had more space, or I felt she needed new things too (for birthday and Christmas, I didn't want to wrap up handmedowns). Both were erroneous reasons. I got a swing with my second that I didn't have with first, that was helpful to pacify baby while doing naptime or interactive play with the older DD. We didn't end up using the walker or exersaucer hardly at all. I did have 2 Bumbos and 2 Bouncy seats, one for each the downstairs and upstairs of the house, and that was about all we used.. And the new toys things, well, a baby can only play with so many toys, and who really needs 8 rattles? Now with the third I don't think I've bought one thing yet, though I have added receiving blankets because I cut up the old ones to make diapers . Depending on what you start out with, though, as the second gets older you might want to double up on *some* toys, like twice as much playfood for the kitchen, a second bean bag chair in the playroom, or 2 dry erase boards for the car, stuff like that.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote