Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a bit farther away from this exact situation, but I have 3 kid to put down for naps/bedtime by myself. Ava was 26 months when Faith was born, and the girls were 3&1 when Eli was born. When I had a newborn/non walking infant, I put the older ones to bed first. Sometimes baby would cry, sometimes he/she would fall asleep in the swing. Once the baby (whichever one it was) outgrew the swing/became mobile and the girls could play on their own a bit more, I put the baby down first. Basically, the one who can get into the most trouble the quickest goes to bed first. The older one (s) had to learn to wait for mommy for a bit. They have toys/books that stay in their rooms, and they could play with those. I didn't like to hear a crying baby, but I had the safety of my other two to consider. I couldn't have them roaming the house while I nursed a baby to sleep.

It gets easier!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Celeste; 07-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Two children and bedtime and nap time

When DD2 was born, DD1 needed me to sit in her room while she fell asleep for both naps and bed. I just took DD2 with me and latched on the boob so she would nurse quietly, doze quietly, or fall asleep while I sat in the chair. BUT, I never had a long routine with DD1 that included her sitting on my lap, rocking, reading a lot. Usually it was brush teeth, get in pajamas, maybe a quick snuggle and kiss. I would leave the baby laying on the floor or bed while we did those things, then nurse DD2 for 20-40 minutes while DD1 fell asleep. It also help if your older one is a little flexible on timing. Sometimes DD2 would just fall asleep in the afternoon, and even if it wasn't the exact time for DD1's nap, I'd do it then just because I knew 'in an hour, the baby will be awake again.' Sound machines work wonders, so that you can get one to sleep even if one's awake and crying, fussing, or playing loudly.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD2 was higher needs than DD1 but now we have things worked out pretty well. I am home alone with both kids at night so I put DD2 down first (she has a quick routine of nursing, singing and into bed). DD1 takes a little longer which is why she goes 2nd. I swear to you, it feels now like you will never be able to figure things out but once your baby is here and you start to figure out his personality things will come together. And it will look nothing like my routine but it will work for you.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana51
I swear to you, it feels now like you will never be able to figure things out but once your baby is here and you start to figure out his personality things will come together. And it will look nothing like my routine but it will work for you.
Agreed! My 11 week old is 1000% more mellow than my DD was as a baby. He's usually sleeping in the bouncer when I put DD down for her nap, but if he's awake I bring him in for the story and nurse him if I need to stay in the room while DD falls asleep (rarely happens though). The pacifier is our best friend for keeping DS happy and quiet during DD's nap and at night (light sleeper). I was against pacifiers with DD, but with DS it keeps him happy and allows DD to sleep, so whatevs!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
happiness
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most the time I can't get both to synch their nap schedules.....I have a 1 and 2 year old. I put my youngest down first, he wants to take a late am nap sleeps about 11-1. My daughter on the other hand does not want to nap until after lunch around 12. My son is very easy to put down, sing him a song a cuddle for a bit before lying down, my daughter will read books for quite time.

Last edited by happiness; 07-12-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typos
happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness
Most the time I can't get both to synch their nap schedules.....I have a 1 and 2 year old. I put my youngest down first, he wants to take a late am nap sleeps about 11-1. My daughter on the other hand does not want to nap until after lunch around 12. My son is very easy to put down, sing him a song a cuddle for a bit before lying down, my daughter will read books for quite time.
This is us too. DD2 naps from 11:30-2ish, and DS is from 2-4:30/5 ish. Sometimes I keep DD2 up so I'll get some overlap if I've got stuff I need to do, but we all pay for it!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #17
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I'm trying to get mine to sync now. Its incredibly difficult. Asher/Levi wake up together every morning. Usually between 7/7:30, then Levi usually sleeps 9-11, then eats, Asher goes to bed around 11ish, sometimes before. Then Levi goes back to bed for a couple hours and gets up when Asher wakes up usually.
Levi may take another nap around 6ish? And Asher goes to bed at 8ish, Levi goes to bed at 10ish.