Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Co-sleepers help me!

I have been co-sleeping for like 10 years, no joke. I co-slept with all my babies until they are about 3 and then they move to their own bed. I currently have my 2 year old and 7 month old in bed with me. Now, here's the problem. My 2 y/o doesn't fall out of bed, bc she's developed that "sense" I guess you'd call it. We have a bed rail on one side of the bed. My 2 y/o sleeps on the side without a rail, I sleep in the middle, and my 7 month old sleeps on the other side of me with the bedrail. I do it this way b/c my 2 y/o will roll over onto my 7 month old. Oh yeah, if you are wondering where dh sleeps, it's on the couch b/c there's no room for him. He actually doesn't mind it, b/c he likes to fall asleep to the TV, but I do mind. So, we need to get a bigger bed, but are saving up for it. Anyway, here's the problem.

Last night, the baby was asleep in bed and dh and I were in the living room. Dh hears the baby fuss (we leave the door open), and so I go in and see her RIGHT on the edge of the bed (she crawls). She crawled PAST the rail. SO I like gasped and ran but when I gasped I scared her, and she "jumped" and fell right off the bed! I literally dove and tried to catch her, and I sort of did. She landed sort of half way in my arms. She was okay, thank god. BUT obviously this is a problem. If she wakes up, she can just crawl right off if I am not in bed. So, how do you keep them contained when you aren't in bed? I'd literally have to get rails to surround the whole bed I guess? Or do i need to buy a dreaded CRIB??? I seriously doubt she'll sleep in a crib. I nurse her to sleep and then sneak out of bed. If I had to transfer her, she'd wake up for sure.

Are there any solutions at all, besides just going to bed when she does?

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What about a mattress on the floor for her?

Dd always falls out of bed if she's in one. She is lacking depth perception and even if we surround her in pillows she still falls.

So she's not allowed in any bed unless we are in it with her.

She sleeps on a mattress on the floor.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Mattress for her on the floor? Nurse her on mattress. Then when its time to go to bed, pick her up and take her with you? Does the 2 yr old wait to go to bed wiht you?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Co-sleepers help me!

the 2 y/o pretty much doesn't sleep! When I go to bed pretty much revolves around when she finally falls asleep. It is a continuous battle with her. That's a whole different thread issue LOL. She just will not go to sleep until at least midnight, Usually later.

Mattress on the floor is a good idea. There's no room for it though. The only way it'd work is if I push the actual bed against the wall. But the window is right there and bugs get in through the window and creep me out lol. But hey if that's what I have to do, then I'll do it to keep her safe!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Mattress for her on the floor? Nurse her on mattress. Then when its time to go to bed, pick her up and take her with you? Does the 2 yr old wait to go to bed wiht you?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

I'd try the mattress on the floor. It worked well for us. If a regular mattress won't fit, can you use a crib mattress, or a bassinet mattress?
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller

we put our mattress directly on the box spring. We've never had an issue w/bugs and we live in the country with plenty of them.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't have a box spring...so our bed is probably two feet off the ground...the above suggestion of just box spring and matress is good too. Then teach her how to crawl backwards off the bed, just as she would scoot backwards down stairs....we taught our DS this at about the same age, and he learned very, very quickly how to back himself off the bed.
We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldermother View Post
We don't have a box spring...so our bed is probably two feet off the ground...the above suggestion of just box spring and matress is good too. Then teach her how to crawl backwards off the bed, just as she would scoot backwards down stairs....we taught our DS this at about the same age, and he learned very, very quickly how to back himself off the bed.
she's really tiny, only 13 pounds something ounces, and she doesn't crawl normally, she slides on her belly and pulls with her arms, so don't know how to teach her to crawl off the bed. She also does not sit or stand. I think I'll just do a twin mattress on the floor. I am super paranoid about bugs, but just yesterday we signed a year contract for an exterminator. I cannot handle all the bugs in AZ. I never got bugs like this in Cali!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy

she's really tiny, only 13 pounds something ounces, and she doesn't crawl normally, she slides on her belly and pulls with her arms, so don't know how to teach her to crawl off the bed. She also does not sit or stand. I think I'll just do a twin mattress on the floor. I am super paranoid about bugs, but just yesterday we signed a year contract for an exterminator. I cannot handle all the bugs in AZ. I never got bugs like this in Cali!
If it helps, DS took 2 tumbles off the mattress and box springs in the living room, before he started paying attention to what I was showing him. He went hands out first, I would hold his legs, and almost wheelbarrow walk him until he was far enough to crawl/pull himself off. The wheel barrow lasted a week maybe. The he started walking with his hands himself and I just held his legs in case he went to fall so he wouldn't land on his face. That lasted another week or two. He finally started doing it slowly on his own and figured it out. Shortly after, I got a couch, and within 2 times of me showing him to scoot back on his tummy and land on his feet, he figured that out. He still does hands first off the bed, but it works for him. Try to find something that works for her.

The twin mattress and box spring in my living room (used to be my make shift couch rofl) was very low. It used to be on a bunk bed, so it had a much thinner boxspring/wooden slat combo under it. It was perfect height for DS to climb off of and not get hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-11-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote