Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need help with home-made yogurt

It's been a while since I've made yogurt, and I can't find the recipe I used.

Was just wondering if someone can confirm that I'm doing it right.

Heat milk to 180 degrees.
Cool to 100-110.
Mix in 1 tablespoon of yogurt as a starter, into each jar. Stir well.
Put lid on loosely, keep at 100-110 for about 9 hours.
Cap tightly, place in fridge for 24 hours.
Drain whey off until yogurt is desired consistency.

Am I remembering correctly? I just heated my milk and right now i have it cooling down from 180 to 100-110.

Thanks ladies.

Next I'm going to try making cream cheese.

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help with home-made yogurt

Just a couple very slight differences that I do
Heat to 180
cool to 105-110 (never below 105 here)
take out a cup of warm milk and mix with a couple of TBS of yogurt.
Wisk that back into the milk still in the crockpot
put lid on and wrap crock in towel, place in oven (with light on if you have a light....I don't) and keep in there overnight.
Place crockpot in the fridge for a few hours at least and then strain

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Just a couple very slight differences that I do
Heat to 180
cool to 105-110 (never below 105 here)
take out a cup of warm milk and mix with a couple of TBS of yogurt.
put lid on and wrap in towel, place in over (with light on if you have a light....I don't) and keep in there overnight.
Place crockpot in the fridge for a few hours at least and then strain
Great. Thanks!!!

Does mixing the yogurt with the milk just help with distribution throughout the yogurt?

And to keep at 105-110, I use my slow cooker. I put the glass jars in there with hot water, lid on the jars loosely (to keep condensation out) and put the lid on the slow cooker, and then I check every hour or so. If it's getting too close to 100, then I turn the slow cooker on for a few minutes, and then turn it off.

I'll have to dump some of the warm milk out to make room for new milk w/ yogurt!!

Thanks so much for the help! Can't wait to have fresh yogurt tomorrow with honey and cinnamon... or for my bed time snack with honey and cocoa powder. It almost feels "guilty" like I'm eating a rich pudding. *giggle*

Thanks so much!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Ohhh! I see. I am lazy and just do the wrapped in a towel oven over night LOL. I think the wisking is just to get the live stuff all spread around. I just did my first batch of greek style yogurt and it came out fantastically. DH even said it tasted good! He didn't like how I used to make it which was more like store bought non fat yogurt.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Ohhh! I see. I am lazy and just do the wrapped in a towel oven over night LOL. I think the wisking is just to get the live stuff all spread around. I just did my first batch of greek style yogurt and it came out fantastically. DH even said it tasted good! He didn't like how I used to make it which was more like store bought non fat yogurt.
First of all, I had a brain fart.. .stupid preggo brain.. LOL.. I was thinking "I don't have room to add extra milk." Then it dawned on me.. "DUH. I can just pour some of the milk out of each of the jars, whisk in the yogurt, and then pour the milk BACK into the jars." ... yeah, I'm slow today.

And I don't trust putting it in the oven.. I'm too much of a control freak over having to make sure the temperature stays right, I have to check it every hour. LOL

I really prefer home made yogurt, I make my greek yogurt even thicker than the store bought, and I make it with raw-whole milk, from grass-fed, naturally raised cows. You just can't get full fat, greek yogurt at the stores! And if the milk comes from naturally-raised cows, full fat is actually healthier for you.

I love mixing cinnamon, honey and chopped nuts into mine. For desert/bedtime snack, it's honey and cocoa powder!

God bless!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M

First of all, I had a brain fart.. .stupid preggo brain.. LOL.. I was thinking "I don't have room to add extra milk." Then it dawned on me.. "DUH. I can just pour some of the milk out of each of the jars, whisk in the yogurt, and then pour the milk BACK into the jars." ... yeah, I'm slow today.

And I don't trust putting it in the oven.. I'm too much of a control freak over having to make sure the temperature stays right, I have to check it every hour. LOL

I really prefer home made yogurt, I make my greek yogurt even thicker than the store bought, and I make it with raw-whole milk, from grass-fed, naturally raised cows. You just can't get full fat, greek yogurt at the stores! And if the milk comes from naturally-raised cows, full fat is actually healthier for you.

I love mixing cinnamon, honey and chopped nuts into mine. For desert/bedtime snack, it's honey and cocoa powder!

God bless!
Ooh, I never thought to put cocoa powder in it! I've been putting chocolate chips, but I'm gonna try this tonight!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You will need more yogurt as a starter, usually 1/2 cup. I normally use the starter culture instead, but you will need way more that 1 TBS.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke
You will need more yogurt as a starter, usually 1/2 cup. I normally use the starter culture instead, but you will need way more that 1 TBS.
Depends on the size of the jar. I use a generous 1/2 cup of yogurt for 8 cups of milk, so 1 tablespoon per cup.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote