View Poll Results: How often do you buy your child new toys?
Basically whenever they want 8 8.33%
Approx. once a week 17 17.71%
Approx. once a month 26 27.08%
Birthdays and major holidays (IE Christmas, etc) 39 40.63%
Rarely buy new toys, even for major holidays and celebrations 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

How often do you buy your child gifts/toys, etc?

It can be anything from something little while grocery shopping or something big like a new big toy the child wants. Just curious how often they get something new that they DO NOT "need" (in accordance with the people here who give xmas gifts based one 1 they want, 1 they need, 1 they wear, etc).

Clothing and whatnot doesn't count as a "gift" for the purpose of the poll unless it's something you wouldn't normally buy, but kiddo really wants it (like a character shirt or a particular pair of shoes above and beyond what you'd normally get YKWIM?)

We'll consider "new toys" to be new to the child, but not a hand-me-down from another of YOUR children. IE: purchased at a garage sale, once upon a child, or other thrifty purchase is totally ok.

For example - DS is almost two, doesn't get a ton of toys lately since he just has so darn many.... but I do buy things once in awhile for him still. But two weeks ago, after realizing that without fail he goes grocery shopping with me every week and is generally a perfect angel, I went down the toy isle and we picked out a cool new toy ($15). He's played with it daily since, and I realized it's been awhile since I've truely just bought him a new toy.

Advertisement

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 07-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I used to ALOT. Now very seldom. The boys do get a very small allowance for doing chores around the house($4 for the 9 year old, $1 for the 3 year old). If they want some special, they save up for it.
Eta that is not including birthdays, Christmas etc. I mean just out and about and they have a case of I want that.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How often do you buy your child gifts/toys, etc?

OI look at dds playroom and can count one thing i bought her (besides books) and that was at a rummage sale. The room is full of stuff from everyone and their brother buying for her though.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Once, maybe twice a year(other then bday or christmas) and so far it hasnt been anything more then $15-20. I am not counting books though, just toys, clothes, dressup stuff,ect. They get new book/s every 2-3months. Eta-wasnt sure how to vote so I didnt.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm always buying DD something. And it's usually not even her asking lol
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know what to vote. We do birthdays and Christmas...those are kept pretty small and we don't do gifts on any other holidays. The rest of the year I definatly don't buy them something once a month, but maybe 3ish times a year at a garage sale or something? And yet, they still have way too much stuff! Grandparents can fill a persons house with clutter in a hurry!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't vote because my option isn't there.

If I could, I would vote 'whenever I want'. My daughter doesn't know how to ask yet. But I buy her so much stuff. Kudos to me for throwing the last 3 purchases in a closet for 'Birthday', but she might get them on a random day before or after then. Whenever I feel like it.

I try to make them somewhat reasonable things. Like in the closet there's a book I want her to have, some wooden play food and a MegaBloks set. None of those things are NEEDS, but they are things you'd find in almost every house with a kid.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not often at all, closer to never. MIL buy them an abundance of toys at every chance.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=EmilytheStrange;15387565]I can't vote because my option isn't there.

If I could, I would vote 'whenever I want'. QUOTE]

This! there is times we go a very large gap in between buying anything. Other times I'll walk through the store once a week, and pick something up that I think they'll love (it's usually not done when they ask though, more when I'm out by myself).
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I don't know what to vote. We do birthdays and Christmas...those are kept pretty small and we don't do gifts on any other holidays. The rest of the year I definatly don't buy them something once a month, but maybe 3ish times a year at a garage sale or something? And yet, they still have way too much stuff! Grandparents can fill a persons house with clutter in a hurry!
This.

B-days and Christmas they get stuff, not a ton but enough. Not very often throughout the year, but I wouldn't say never any other time either. Every so often we'll get them something little, definitely not even once a month.