View Poll Results: How often do you buy your child new toys?
Basically whenever they want 8 8.33%
Approx. once a week 17 17.71%
Approx. once a month 26 27.08%
Birthdays and major holidays (IE Christmas, etc) 39 40.63%
Rarely buy new toys, even for major holidays and celebrations 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you buy your child gifts/toys, etc?

Maybe once or twice a year outside of birthdays & Christmas, and its usually seasonal type stuff that has either worn out (like new sandbox toys or swimming pool toys at the beginning of spring summer) or something that's on clearance for super cheap & they happen to be with me when I buy it. I try to shop clearance & sales throughout the year and have a little gift closet/stash set back for classmate bday parties & for the kids at Christmas & birthdays. Now books...oh my. I buy new books at least once a month during the school year from the book orders, and I'm always searching at the thrift store for them....my kids and I books.

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I voted about once a month. Its not toys though. I buy new craft supplies and projects regularly but toys only on birthdays and Christmas.
jamie714 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

None of the above. I buy when something interests me or on the rare occasion my son sees something and really wants it (but not always). I go in spurts - some times I'll buy a bunch of stuff like I have been, but then I'll go months without. We don't have a huge amount of toys as up till recently I've been really good about not buying stuff with a small house.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I buy things for my girls at least weekly. But, that does include things like books, crayons, and building blocks - educational items I don't think any kid can have too many of.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Whenever we have a little extra money. My kids are terribly spoiled

But this includes bubbles, chalk, crayons, paper, books...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 07-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Once a year. We don't buy them gifts from us on their birthdays since they get gifts from everyone else. The only time we really buy them gifts is for Christmas, and even then we keep it small.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I voted once a month, but honestly it's probably a bit more like 1-3 times per month. If we're at target and I see something little and cute that's not super expensive -- or something ive been thinking of getting him -- often I'll get it and just give it to him as a surprise, but we don't go there more than twice a month, and I don't do that at the grocery store. I also had/have a bit of a zulily problem, but I'm working on that

ETA: my answer includes art supplies, books, etc that aren't necessarily 'toys'

Last edited by mrosehughes; 07-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Pretty much every time we shop at big box stores. Mostly, dollar toys at Target... We have a pile of princess wands, character cups, toys dinosaurs, books, etc. There are times we stop for something quick, and there is no stopping at the dollar bins, or DD brings a toy in and doesn't care. She's even said, "Look my book." and we explain HER book is in her room. It's funny really, as she now gets the concept of "hers".

We go to Buy Buy Baby about once a month, and they get a nice new toy or book from there. We enjoy her selection process... As she is learning to count, she tries to by toys/book sets with the most items. The girl really knows how to get value for her buck, lol!
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use to weekly, but have been cutting back and getting rid of some of the extra junk. We probably do it about once every 2 weeks to once a month now. Our plan is to cut back to once every few months or maybe even just Holidays and b-days. But since we are the problem not them we'll see how it works out.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Only birthdays and Christmas. When I was a teen I babysat regularly for cousins whose mother bought them cheap little dollar type stuff every time they were out shopping. The kids expected it, and asked/whined for toys/treats anytime they were in any kind of store. I hated seeing it. It seemed so spoiled and entitled and bratty. It made a lasting impression on me and I swore then I would not spoil my own children. Those cousins are now entitled adults, still expecting others to provide for them.