View Poll Results: How often do you buy your child new toys?
Basically whenever they want 8 8.33%
Approx. once a week 17 17.71%
Approx. once a month 26 27.08%
Birthdays and major holidays (IE Christmas, etc) 39 40.63%
Rarely buy new toys, even for major holidays and celebrations 6 6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #21
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How often do you buy your child gifts/toys, etc?

We buy them one bigger thing each for their birthdays, small family gifts at hanukkah (some years we have booknikah where the family gets a new book each night, etc.) Our budget for all of hanukkah is usually about $150 or less. During the rest of the year, they use money they earn -- though we may match them dollar for dollar for something they've worked hard to save for -- for toys. We do not buy a lot of books, but use our wonderful library with abandon. I do buy arts and crafts supplies every few months, but that falls under the heading of homeschooling for us.

We try very hard to limit our consumption as a family of five in a small house, we live on a teacher's salary, and we don't allow plastic/character toys, so there aren't many toys we would buy at Target or the grocery store.

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
SageR
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are minimalists so we try to keep things simple but as a former teacher and part-time hser I am a sucker for really nice toys and learning materials. We only buy new things for birthdays and Christmas but I make stuff and get used books pretty regularly. I also restock art supplies as needed. I knew right from the start that I didn't want them to get in the habit of expecting stuff evey time we go anywhere so I never buy anything if they are around and when I present a new activity or material it's always a surprise.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

We do gifts for Easter, Birthdays and Christmas, and with rare exception that's it other than clothes when needed. Today I bought DD a bubble toy just because, but that's pretty rare.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well I only have one child & his birthday is the day before Christmas so he gets new toys frequently. Nothing big- maybe a new matchbox car or train or a new little people animal. Because he would ordinarily get all his gifts at one time of the year & he outgrows them before his birthday or holidays come back around.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

They get 1-3 things each for Christmas and Birthdays (from us anyway). Maybe 3 smaller things or 1 large gift. There is no pattern to the rest of the time. It's pretty rare that we go out and buy a new toy though. I may pick up a lego minifigure here and there or some matchbox cars, maybe once a month or every other month. I don't ever say no to books though and DH brings them both home a comic book once a month.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

I need a "whenever I feel like it" option too!

Sometimes I'll buy quite a bit. Sometimes I buy practically nothing. In the summer I buy them bubbles, sidewalk chalk, floaties, etc. We buy almost all of our books at a neighborhood thrift store. We go once a month or so and the books are priced from .15-.50 so I will buy as many books as I can find that are in good shape that they don't already have and I think they would enjoy. Sometimes that means 1-2 books, sometimes that means 20 books. My kids are book fiends and they love their extensive collection.

If I see a toy or book or art supply or whatever that I really think they will love, and it's fairly cheap (I love me some clearance) I'll often grab it.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

We make a big deal out of birthdays. But still we only buy them 2-3 presents. Christmas we only do one gift. The grandparents have a limit of 4-5, my mom has a every hard time with this, which includes 1-2 fun toys, something educational & something they can wear. The rest of the year they earn points to buy something they want from the dollar store. They are still small (5,4,2,&1) so they don't ever get anything too expensive. We also rotate toys, put some away for a few months then switch them out. It works for now.
~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Almost everything I get for my daughter is used, so I never spend a lot of money on her. Sometimes we'll be at a garage sale or thrift store or something and if she's being good, I'll let her pick something out. It's always less than $3 and it's not all the time. Also, sometimes I'll get her something used and get home and see it's missing pieces or something, so I'll give it to her on a random day...usually when I need some time to get something done. We traditionally do gifts for birthday, X-Mas and Easter (small non-candy stuff).
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Once a month, maybe. I swap for things for them and buy them coloring books or small fun things every once in a while. Not often at all. Mostly it's just birthdays and Christmas. We don't do gifts at Easter or anything like that, candy yes but no gifts.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Me personally, holidays and if they "need" something like nerf guns. We just moved and all the neighborhood kids have them so they couldn't play with them. I spent $14 on 2 guns which would have cost $50. They won't get another thing til Halloween when they turn their candy in to the "Great Pumpkin" for a small toy. They are Diabetic so they don't need the candy.

My mother is another story entirely. She buys them something weekly.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote