Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
kaylajo88
Registered Users

Your Home study experience

We finally got the call to begin our home study! Now im in panic mode haha! I really dont know what to expect, i know the basics of what will happen but how invasive was you home study? Did the social worker look in every cupboard and expect you to be totally baby proofed before they walk in the door? Im really nervous about the interviews as well. How detailed into our relationship am i to expect? Please feel free to share any tips you have!! Thanks!

Advertisement

kaylajo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your Home study experience

They walked through every room in our house and told us what needed to be corrected (like nothing so many feet from the furnace, certain type of fire extinguisher needed, etc) but didn't open anything or measure rooms. It was pretty relaxed, but we do have a newer house that automatically would meet the regulations where some older homes wouldn't. We had to fill out a ton of paperwork about ourselves and answer this 20 page questionnaire of why we wanted to be foster parents, our upbringing, relationships, etc. Very detailed, but not invasive, IMO. Our licensing worker then used that to interview my dh and I separately. Was about a hour. She also had a conversation with our children, but it mostly focuses on what they liked to do and their thoughts on fostering.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
peightonmom
Registered Users

We just finished up our home study a few weeks ago. I foudn the interview process a little draining. I had sort of a rough childhood and we talked extensively about that ...which wore me out! The actual home inspection was very easy. The biggest things she looked for were chemicals/cleaning supplies locked up. Any weapons secured and locked, fire extinguishers/detectors. Evacuation plans posted as well as emergency numbers. She also locked herself in the bathroom to make sure we could get the door open! It really only lasted about 15 minutes...pretty painless. Good luck... : )))
peightonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our inspection was just a walk through where she checked for outlet covers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguisher in kitchen and made sure the chemicals and knives were secured. The interviews were intense with lots of questions about our childhood, relationships with our family and our marriage. She also asked for specifics about past abuse and there were questions in the paperwork about our sex life! Everyone seems surprised when I tell them that so I dont think its common.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13
Our inspection was just a walk through where she checked for outlet covers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguisher in kitchen and made sure the chemicals and knives were secured. The interviews were intense with lots of questions about our childhood, relationships with our family and our marriage. She also asked for specifics about past abuse and there were questions in the paperwork about our sex life! Everyone seems surprised when I tell them that so I dont think its common.
We got asked about our sex life too.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Holy Macaroni! The extent of our questioning was why we want to be foster parents and how we handle discipline. WHY do they need to know about your sex life???????
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz
Holy Macaroni! The extent of our questioning was why we want to be foster parents and how we handle discipline. WHY do they need to know about your sex life???????
Well we were asked this in our adoption home study. It was VERY in depth!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann

Well we were asked this in our adoption home study. It was VERY in depth!
Us too. It was very invasive.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was a little put off by it. It wasnt like she asked about our favorite sexual position or anything though. i forget what the exact line of questioning was.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No sex questions here and it was both a foster and adoption home study.