Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #21
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Baby is here.

I think she means 2 oz feedings at 2 weeks, 3 oz feedings at 3 weeks etc.if tone is high and tremors common in these kiddos that makes sense that they would need more calories. The tremors are extra movements thus require calories to fuel them. Same for tone, if muscles are tight the muscles are using extra calories. The same for my dds ataxic movement and tone. Just to clarifyfor others reading dd was not a drug exposed baby but she has cp. Im just thinking the high calorie needs are for similar reasons.

Idk about mess lol maybe autocorrect fail?

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sunnymommy, how are things going? I keep thinking about you and your little one.

[QUOTE=sunnymommy;15393841]Dalynn, thank you so much. I wish someone had told us all this when dd2 was born. She screamed for over six months and it was a nightmare. I think we will do much better this time around.

QUOTE]

Glad you have experience with this. Yeah, I don't get why they don't give us a book with some possible medical conditions or emotional conditions and how to deal with them. A friend got her first placement of a newborn from the hospital. She never had any children before and she felt lost. They just handed her over the baby. She didn't know how much to feed the baby, how to swaddle, how to take care of the umbilical cord. Things like that that usually first time moms learn from the nurses in the hospital. The baby was AA and they aren't and she didn't understand why his skin was very dry. It took them a few weeks to do some googling and realize they could do a baby facial and made his skin all pretty. The cw was so rude and said, "Oh I see you finally washed his face." THat wasn't the case at all just she didn't realize that the baby needed it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no clue about the toxic bms until I experienced it and even with googling, couldn't find any info. Doctors were clueless too. It wasn't until my heroin addicted baby where I learned this was indeed (assumed it before) a side effect of the drugs coming out. It continued past the one month with my first and she didn't even test positive! It had cleared up with my third by the time she left at 6 weeks and she was even on methadone from 1 week-4 weeks. Yep, didn't use cloth until that had cleared up. The rashes on these poor babies are sickening and although you can protect it, it's impossible to completely heal while the toxins are still coming out.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, I surprising had no feeding issues with either baby. Both drank good amounts of formula, gained quicky and rarely, if ever, spit up. My mom has fostered a couple babies exposed to meth and one in particular had a lot of feeding issues. They had to do something special with her and I can't remember what. Something hadn't formed correctly and apparently it is not uncommon with babies exposed to meth.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Glad to hear your wait is finally over! Can't wait to hear news of baby getting to come home and everything being signed.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I totally forgot about the burning bum! We use Weleda diaper care cream & used a ton with her!

With our FD, we put her on an organic formula & her stomach ballooned. I had never experienced that (exclusively BF my bio children & had no problems with previous FS), so we took her to the Dr. They actually transferred her to children's hospital, insisting she had some kind of abnormality! She didn't! LOL We put her on a lactose free or gentle formula (dont recall now!) & she was fine.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalynn1997 View Post

If she clenches, seems extra strong, can rollover or pivot in a circle. Or has latching issues get Early Intervention out to help you through.
This! DFS was a heroin baby, and I waited way too long to call EI. DS got referred when he was 3 months old, but it takes awhile to get services started, and he didn't start getting PT til 4 months. If you are having latching issues or feeding issues, call EI right away. They will help with PT, and an OT or ST for feeding. They are wonderful, and the eval process is easy.

Also, before you leave the hospital, ask them for a tube of Sensicare for the bum. Sensicare is the thickest cream I have found anywhere, and you can only get it through hospitals. We hoard it here, and ask for a tube every time DS is inpatient.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-13-2012 at 02:23 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kristen, it's called something different here, but we got tons of it with our heroin addicted baby! It's a bit gross since they stuff just crumbles in the diaper and if the baby poops right after you apply it, it's horrible to get the poop off the bottom, haha. Yes, they quickly got that baby a public health nurse and she was going to be calling EI for her as soon as she went to the grandparents. This is going to follow her parents for a long time...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymommy View Post
Dalynn, thank you so much. I wish someone had told us all this when dd2 was born. She screamed for over six months and it was a nightmare. I think we will do much better this time around.

To the above - what is mess? and what is oz match?
Sorry it was supposed to say meds or medication to help with withdrawals.

And ounces match week. Ex. 2oz per bottle at 2 weeks age. 3oz a bottle at 3 weeks age and 4 oz at 4 weeks. We have usually maxed at around 6 oz bottles by 2 months.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

She will be released tomorrow! And they let me nurse today!!

She new exactly what to do and went at it like a champion. Then she goes right back to sleep so happy, and it's so sweet.

I brought ds (16mo) to meet her today. He has always been unhappy if another baby/child is sitting on my lap and will come over and try to push them away or at the least make sure he can fit on there, too. I held them both and he just looked at her. Then put his finger in the hole in the binky she was sucking on. He did so good ! He didn't get upset at all. He may have trouble when we get home, but I was happy he did so well.

She had been taking about 2ozs per bottle feeding and I have no idea how much when nursing, but she seems to be eating really well. DD2 didn't have any trouble with feeding either although I have also heard that many meth babies do.

SW could not get ahold of named bio dad so sent him a return receipt letter. If he signs for it his time is up at five days. If he doesn't they will publish on John Doe for three weeks.

Dh is so flippin mad about the pos tox he is having a really hard time.

BM is also having a harder time this time around than with dd2 she says. I think mostly because her 10yr old is also pretty sad about it and last time the other two were put into foster care so she had bigger things to worry about. She told me she is not thinking about changing her mind. SW says if she changes her mind police will be there immediately to take baby into custody. But, I don't think she knows CPS was even reported.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote