Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #41
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Baby is here.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #42
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the newbie!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #43
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any suggestions for what a relationship with a birth mom who's using should look like? What is best for the kids?

Anyone had a meth baby who was prescribed a sedative? or something else?
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #44
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been following your thread. First This sounds so tough. Obviously this woman has MAJOR issues including addiction. Although she did let these children have a family and life she clearly cannot provide she chose not to be honest regarding using which causes these children to suffer What sort of legal obligation for contact do you have from your other child from this birth mom? I would certainly not allow ANY unsupervised contact. If you did choose to visit I would ask for a public place and perhaps a social worker. I assume you must be feeling pretty angry about how dishonest she has been.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No suggestions, but you always have to put the baby (well, both girls) first. I know it can be tough to balance.

Unfortunately the intake worker of my meth exposed baby didn't take my concerns about her seriously since her meconium tested negative even though bmom tested positive just a week and a half before her birth. She definitely could have used something, imo, as it was a rough 4-6 weeks. Her stools were finally getting better by 3 months.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by Beth.; 12-03-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Beth. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sure that would be very hard on your dd to not allow contact with bmom though not to mention if her dds are taking it hard already it won't be easy for them to have no contact with your family. And I'm sure bmom would not be quite so agreeable. Its a hard position to be in. I'm guessing your dh wouldnt be heartbroken if you cut ties?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #48
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth. View Post
Our o/a agreements stipulate no drug use. I don't allow drug users in my kids' lives, period.

I am sorry that you are faced with this situation. I hope baby wasn't exposed to too much ... whatever that is.
And how do you determine that? Do you make her take a drug test? How is that even arranged
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #49
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
I'm guessing your dh wouldnt be heartbroken if you cut ties?

good guess

Last edited by sunnymommy; 07-21-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #50
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
What sort of legal obligation for contact do you have from your other child from this birth mom?
She was adopted through foster care so there is no open adoption agreement. They don't do that here. Although the agency usually does so I think we will be asked about that for this one.

Here's my thing. Last year when i was pregnant with ds, dd2 started talking about "When I was in your tummy Mommy.." and I replied with, "Well, honey, you weren't in my tummy, you were in X's tummy. And then she went to the hospital and you came out and Mommy and Daddy came to get you." And she looked at me for a minute and said, "Oh, yeah." (like, yeah, that's how it was - but she'd never heard that before as it hadn't come up). And I just truly think that if she had no idea who X was, had never met her, that that would have been a much more difficult conversation / idea for her to grasp. But, maybe pictures would suffice?? I just don't know. I have always believed it's better for the kids to know who birthmom is and just grow up like that and it's not a big deal...

eta: but then, what to do when she is still using? what boundaries to set? obviously need to keep my kids safe as number one priority, but isn't it possible to do that and still see her? what is the harm in meeting her at a park a few times a year so the kids can play with their friends (her kids)?

Last edited by sunnymommy; 07-21-2012 at 03:49 AM.