Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

Transitioning from co sleeping

WE have been co sleeping but we are trying to transition DD to her own space, which is currently a pack in play. It isn't going so well. She is waking up way too often during the night. Co sleeping just isn't working for us any more. She is too squirmy and there just isn't enough room. I think she might do better if we put a twin mattress on the floor so I could lay with her while she falls asleep, nurse, whatever. A big part of the problem now is that she keeps freaking out when we try to lay her down. I'm worried she's to young for just a mattress on the floor though. If you have done this sleeping arrangement, how old was your LO when you tried this?.

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

Advertisement

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Transitioningfrom co sleeping

I personally havent tried the mattress on the floor trick. how long have you been trying to lay her in the packnplay? if its only been a couple/few days i would just keep trying. eventually she will get used to the consistancy..unless she is fairly young still. im not sure how old you LO is but cosleeping was our only peaceful option till ds stopped nursing. then he just kinda liked sleeping on his own. i used to use one of my tshirts to lay in the bed with him so he could have my smell with him. that helped too
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a HUGE fan of the matress on teh floor. Infact after reading your post title that was going to be my suggestion. I'm a mom of 5, each of them have been transistioned to a matress on the floor. When they get too wiggly and you are afraid they will fall off the bed (the latest little one would somehow get the the foot of the bed every night!), then it's time to transition them. We just put a twin matress in our bedroom floor, right beside me, and when she would wake to nurse I would get down and lay there, then get back into my bed. I know it was around 6-ish months old. A fwe weeks ago we changed her to her own room, still w/ a matress on the floor. SHe's 14 months old,a ndin the room right next to us. I lay down and nurse her, then lights off for sleep. I lay beside her while she falls alseep, but will start letting her lay in there by herself around 18 months. I think your DD is perfectly big enough, just don't use any blankets/pillows yet
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a HUGE fan of the matress on teh floor. Infact after reading your post title that was going to be my suggestion. I'm a mom of 5, each of them have been transistioned to a matress on the floor. When they get too wiggly and you are afraid they will fall off the bed (the latest little one would somehow get the the foot of the bed every night!), then it's time to transition them. We just put a twin matress in our bedroom floor, right beside me, and when she would wake to nurse I would get down and lay there, then get back into my bed. I know it was around 6-ish months old. A fwe weeks ago we changed her to her own room, still w/ a matress on the floor. SHe's 14 months old,a ndin the room right next to us. I lay down and nurse her, then lights off for sleep. I lay beside her while she falls alseep, but will start letting her lay in there by herself around 18 months. I think your DD is perfectly big enough, just don't use any blankets/pillows yet
Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefluff
I personally havent tried the mattress on the floor trick. how long have you been trying to lay her in the packnplay? if its only been a couple/few days i would just keep trying. eventually she will get used to the consistancy..unless she is fairly young still. im not sure how old you LO is but cosleeping was our only peaceful option till ds stopped nursing. then he just kinda liked sleeping on his own. i used to use one of my tshirts to lay in the bed with him so he could have my smell with him. that helped too
DD is 8 months We've been working on it for a few weeks now. She does nap in the pnp, though they tend to be short naps most days. I can usually get her to start the night in her pnp, though sometimes it takes a few tries to get her down. Then she starts the waking very 45-90 minutes. I admit that she has gotten used to falling asleep while nursing or with a bottle, and I know that is causing some of the problem.

I can't decide if our problem is that she's uncomfortable in her pnp or she's having trouble transitioning through her sleep cycles, or both. I've read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and I did find the information helpful, I just can't quite figure out how to implement it.

I'm not sure if there is really a question in here or if it is just more of a vent. Sigh.

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey<3Gavin View Post
DD is 8 months We've been working on it for a few weeks now. She does nap in the pnp, though they tend to be short naps most days. I can usually get her to start the night in her pnp, though sometimes it takes a few tries to get her down. Then she starts the waking very 45-90 minutes. I admit that she has gotten used to falling asleep while nursing or with a bottle, and I know that is causing some of the problem.

I can't decide if our problem is that she's uncomfortable in her pnp or she's having trouble transitioning through her sleep cycles, or both. I've read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and I did find the information helpful, I just can't quite figure out how to implement it.

I'm not sure if there is really a question in here or if it is just more of a vent. Sigh.

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix
I would try the floor option maybe like the PP said maybe nursing and laying with her down there and then moving might help transition her to not being in bed with you. after a week of that she may realise she is still right next to you..another option i have seen (which we may try) is taking one side off the crib and pulling it up to your bed and raising the matress to meet yours. it kinda becomes a big co-sleeper. not only do they get to basically co-sleep still but they are generally in their own spot and also get used to the feel/smell of the crib which makes transitioning into another room easier
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is my suggestion (and what I did). Get her her own bed. I did a full size padded platform so it was close to the ground and had a padded "step" to help her in and out, and it wouldn't be bad if she rolled out. A mattress on the floor in any size would work fine though, even for babies. After cosleeping in her bed a while I started transitioning to a mat on the floor after she fell asleep to get her used to sleeping alone while still nearby.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote