Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee
I usually just hold her still and try to change her quickly.
I either do that or distract. a clean diaper is nonnegotiable and something she has to deal with. She hated diaper changes and diapers in general. The minute a diaper is on she takes it off if I'm not quick enough to put pants on. She's even tried pulling down her pants to get to the diaper tabs. I always tell her (joking- she's not quite a year) that if she dislikes diapers so much she should start using the potty like a big girl. One of these days I bet she'll do just that :lol:

Advertisement

m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

This.

There are 2 types of tantrums. First define, then act. And yes, consistency even under a year is very important.

First type of fit: frustration - not getting a shape in the sorter, wanting something you can't reach, etc. This type of fit should be comforted and redirected.

Second type of fit: manipulation - you told me no and I don't like that and I'm going to make you pay!!!! This type should either be ignored or 'disciplined' depending on the age of the child/rules of your household/etc.

atleast, that's how I see it.

DD is like her mom. When the shape doesn't slide easily into the shape sorter, she throws it, knocks all the blocks over, etc. She doesn't get disciplined for this. I know what she's feeling. We just redirect or tell her to 'try again' or whatever.

But not wanting to get out of the street/go upstairs/get teeth brushed/diaper changed/etc. All of those things are non-negotiable and fits and tantrums are not allowed. They are generally swiftly dealt with or blatantly ignored by me leaving the room, looking away, etc.
This is all great advice. Thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee
Okay, help me out, please! DD throws a fit every time she gets her diaper changed, unless she happens to be hungry, then she will hold her bottle. Sometimes I give her a wipe and she plays with it. Other than holding her down, or strapping her down to the changing pad (which is upstairs) how can I try to avoid the fits? I usually just hold her still and try to change her quickly.
I think dealing with the gator death roll during diaper changes is a right of passage of being a parent. Good luck!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***

Last edited by mommabritt; 07-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Fits under a year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I think dealing with the gator death roll during diaper changes is a right of passage of being a patent. Good luck!
Haha, it's just so sad... until she was 7 months, she loved them! Then, she could roll and crawl. I do still change her.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The gator death roll!!!! Bwahahaha! Britt, I about died laughing, it is SO true
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I can't even list the number of toys on the changing table right now. There are many. Some have distracting lights, etc. I have found, for us, diaper changes are easier on the changing table. When we're traveling and use a bed or floor or whatever, it's way worse with her trying to get away.

If she starts kicking, I hold her and look away (no attention) until she stops. Then I change the diaper.

If she's getting shoes, I hand her shoes to Velcro and unvelcro. I sing songs, I ask her things 'what does the cow say?'

Hth
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smblake
The gator death roll!!!! Bwahahaha! Britt, I about died laughing, it is SO true
Seriously, isn't it though?!

Yeah we are back to using the changing table full time. For a while it was fine to grab and change whenever but she seems to lay still more frequently if I change her on the table. Well, it's really just a shelf in my laundry room I put a pad on but whatever.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Seems strange to me if a kid DIDNT start something of this nature between 6 and 10 months so its totally normal. There are a few kids that dont assert themselves till a bit later in life but most of them start the baby fits around the same time.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 12m old son hates getting changed. Sometimes I change him on my daughter's bed because the scenery is different. Sometimes I give my son my husband's shorts (he's obsessed with my husbands cargo shorts and belt). Sometimes I change him in 3 parts, as in take off the pants and diaper, then let him walk around naked a bit, then stick on the diaper, then a bit later whatever else. It kind of depends on his mood, but I do try to accomodate him a bit because what he hates much worse than getting changed is the dreaded CAR SEAT and there is no compromising there.

We are trying to get ramped up to using ASL very quickly since my son has no spoken language yet.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

That all sounds normal to me. I can't remember a time ODS didn't throw fits in that manner (very difficult infancy for me). At 9months he went into all out tantrums, complete with hitting, kicking, biting, etc. I was scared he had a big problem. Kids in my family just don't do that. My in-laws acted like it was just par for the course. Completely normal for their family.

When J started the violent tantrums, I put him in the cosleeper playyard and left the room. He was physically hurting me and I couldn't calm him down. After two "time outs" of just 2-5 minutes each he calmed down. He would do this in phases though. So it would ocassionally circle back, but usually not as bad as that 9-10month phase.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 10 months old and throws some great tantrums. He'll throw his head back and scream, he'll throw himself onto the floor, he'll throw his face into the floor. Temper temper!! I either ignore or redirect

Last edited by alsatia23; 07-13-2012 at 09:58 AM.
alsatia23 is offline   Reply With Quote