Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Small house vs new baby

We live in a two bedroom condo. Ds is in 1 room (12x12), we are in other room (19x12). Our room is full of chunky furniture (that's nice too) from his family. Ds room has two dressers, changing table, rocker, where we did all nighttime feedings). We are thinking about ttc #2, but my husband has reservations about where to put a new baby. With ds, he was in his own room by two weeks because he squeeked and dh and I are light sleepers. We dont cosleep. I also dont breastfeed, if that will affect your answer (long medical reason, but it is medically suggested I not do it- no flames or attesting otherwise please). So here's what we're thinking, unless you have other ideas:

1) baby shares room with ds1 right from beginning. How does this work with repeated wakes throughout the night? I would change/feed elsewhere, right?

2) clean out 6x8 closet as an "emergency layette" for first 3-4 months. Problem- no window, no plugs, no vents for heating/cooling, currently staked with stuff floor to ceiling- blah.

3) baby stays in our room for 3-4 months. Problem- refer to sqeeking/light sleeping issue. Plus dh has allergies all year long and coughs all night long.

4) turn 5x5 walk in closet in our room into nursery. Problem- no window, vent, plug, and where do we put our clothes?

5) your idea goes here- and it's surely better than these. The only other room we have is a great room 14x18 which is living/dining combined, and a 6x9 kitchen. There's a coat closet and a furnace room and a bathroom. Please help me. Selling isn't an option- we owe $115k and it's appraising at $41k.

Love you!

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Small house vs new baby

I would keep baby with you especially in the beginning. you dont want a newborn crying every couple hours with a sleeping toddler nearby..you might have two to tend to in the middle of the night. We live in a 2 bedroom condo..i have DD and DS sharing a room already! we plan to have new baby with us for the first 6-12 months (we nurse and cosleep) and hopefully plan to move after the new year.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Get a sound machine for both bedrooms. It will cover up noises like squeaking and coughing. Also, people can learn to sleep through other noises, so DS can learn to sleep through crying or, baby can learn to sleep through DH's coughing. Let the new baby room-share with you, but if #2 is a quiet cryer, you could consider moving him to DS's room. Doubt you would need to turn a closet into a nursery. You already have a rocking chair in DS's room, so worst case if DS does wake up you sing him back to sleep as you feed in the rocking chair. The first month might be rough as you make adjustments, but that's to be expected no matter the circumstances. If you do put baby with DS, you can change and feed right there - just have it set up so it's quick and convenient. Use a hall light or night light so there's just enoug to see but don't use the room light, it will wake up DS. I rarely had a problem with one waking up the other and I plan on putting baby #3 with DD 1&2 (who are already together) with no trouble either.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.

Last edited by elizabeth.scalf; 07-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I would keep the baby in your room until his or her sleeping patterns are established and you aren't worried about waking your older child multiple times. If you are both taking turns getting up, the other parent can wear ear plugs. You can also use a white noise machine to drown out both the baby squeaks and your DHs coughs.