Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Really wish

that people would not take their sick kids to story time/playgroup/book club/etc. We have yet another virus working its way through our house thanks to sick kid at story time this week. I am pretty cautious about taking my kids around other kids when their sick. We have missed story time over minor sniffles because i don't want to get other sick- especially the several under 1 year olds that come with their siblings. Now its time to go clean up the second batch of puke off the carpet in an hour.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Really wish

I totally get you, mama. But, in the defense of the other mamas (and I NEVER thought I would say this), most of the time your kid is already contagious before they show any symptoms of illness, so the damage is done before they start sneezing or coughing or running a fever. Especially stomach viruses--they are contagious before you start throwing up.

Plus, around here, sneezing is so common because of air quality, mold, and other allergens that none of the kids in our city would ever go to school if sniffles kept them out, cause 90% of the time it's allergies.

But, I totally agree when a child is visibly, obviously not feeling well that it's terribly selfish to cart them off to an activity where other kids are present.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a friend text me the other day and tell me her older son was just diagnosed with fifth diease. And I'm pregnant! I was so thankful for her telling me, and I realized she had no way of knowing that he was carrying it because it was symptomless when we had our playdate... but that's the risk we take from playing with other kids! It is frustrating!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

yep.

And I will add to your rant that people also should not send their sick kids to school and/or daycare.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I know they could have not known. I am just really annoyed right now. Cleaning up puke does that to a person. Just letting out some frustration. There was one kid that looked a little glassy eyed, but everybody else was playing normally.

One of our playgroup a parent brought in her kid with whooping cough. There were several newborns and really young babies that were in the group. She didn't tell anybody until the end of the hour. My kids were older so I didn't worry too much about mine, but I felt really bad for the mamas with the younger babies. One of them looked really scared and she never came back.

I am super crazy about stuff like this. I even told dd's teacher when dh had shingles even though dd was vaxed for CP and the doc said she couldn't spread anything. Just in case.

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post

One of our playgroup a parent brought in her kid with whooping cough. There were several newborns and really young babies that were in the group. She didn't tell anybody until the end of the hour. My kids were older so I didn't worry too much about mine, but I felt really bad for the mamas with the younger babies. One of them looked really scared and she never came back.
THIS is totally irresponsible, and EXTRAORDINARILY selfish. Shame on her.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't consider a cold as being sick.
Fever, stomach upsetment, strep, or ear infections yes..

If I had to take off from work everytime my kid had a runny nose or lingering cough I would have been fired long ago.

My work only allows 5 days off for personal time/sick a year.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
My work only allows 5 days off for personal time/sick a year.
HOLY COW

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
When my infant has sniffles, we go places. Anything more serious, we stay home.

I think that whenever kids under a year of age are involved, parents with older children should be more cautious and considerate.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
HOLY COW
Yup and use all of those sick day and see if you don't get a conference called about your excessive absences...just because they are there doesn't mean you actually get to use all of them without repercussions. And heaven forbid if the parent gets sick...you mean you want time off for that too?? I hate the negative feelings toward families from today's workforce
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote