Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please help! 3.5 yo DS is driving me batty!

DS2 is driving me completely insane with a habit he has developed: asking me questions to which he already knows the answer.

For example:
-"What color / letter / number is this?" (He already knows his colors, letters and numbers)
-"What shape is this?" (He already knows his shapes)
-Points to dog and asks "Is that Huckleberry?" (He knows full well it's Huckleberry)
-"Is that Daddy / Noah / insert other name?" (He knows full well who is it)

He *always* knows the answer to the question he's asking, so it's not like it's genuine curiosity on his part. He asks questions like this at least 50 times a day (no lie) and it's driving me crazy

WHY is he doing this? How can I make it stop?

If I answer with the correct answer (the answer he already knows), he just moves onto another question to which he already knows the answer. If I give an incorrect answer, he gets mad and shouts the correct answer at me. If I ignore the question, he just keeps asking it until I respond. If I answer with something like "Who/What do YOU think it is?", he answers, then asks another equally obvious question. Really, it's making me crazy.

Does anyone else have a child who went through this stage? Does it EVER end? He's been doing this for at least 6 months, and I just can't stand it anymore. Help!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any advice, but I have a hypothesis as to why. We do the same thing when they are babies. We point to objects that we clearly know and ask the baby what it is. I know he is way past that age, but is it possible he is around another baby that he hears this happening? He probably thinks it is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He's actually not around any babies. He was the youngest in his preschool class, and we are literally never around young babies. He really has me stumped on this.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Please help! 3.5 yo DS is driving me batty!

Nice hypothesis. My 3.5 DD does this too. Sometimes when I'm impatient I'll say 'You know what it is,' other times, I'll make a game out of it and it'll go like this.
her: "What's this?'
me: "Is it...... an apple?"
"No!" (act surprised)
"Is it a phone?"
"No!" (act surprised)
"Well, you tell me, what is it?"
"A CUP!"
"Oh thanks, for helping me out!"
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
Nice hypothesis. My 3.5 DD does this too. Sometimes when I'm impatient I'll say 'You know what it is,' other times, I'll make a game out of it and it'll go like this.
her: "What's this?'
me: "Is it...... an apple?"
"No!" (act surprised)
"Is it a phone?"
"No!" (act surprised)
"Well, you tell me, what is it?"
"A CUP!"
"Oh thanks, for helping me out!"
I will try this. My only concern is that he'll think it's fun and ask even MORE rhetorical questions! I agree, pp had an interesting hypothesis!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

What if you start doing it back to him? Then you can annoy him back

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
emerino
Registered Users

If it were me I'd always answer with "what do you think...?" or "you know that" and hope he stops asking in the near future, lol! My 4&5 yo still do this occasionally. If they did it constantly, I would probably try to teach them about thinking about the answer before asking a question...teaching them to think for themselves. Have a convo about it when he's not doing it. Tell him why he shouldn't do that all the time, but you never want to discourage him from asking questions.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to call it how fast can they drive mommy insane game...lol its just a phase it to shall pass=)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
FrenchTeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3
What if you start doing it back to him? Then you can annoy him back
LOL I may need to try this!

I guess maybe he's just doing it for attention? I can't imagine HOW he could need more attention though -- he is glued to me all.the.time. Attachment parenting gone awry, perhaps?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Repeat his question to him. If he says "is that huckleberry" repeat it exactly back to him. He is making conversation This has been effective for us.