Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you feel about pediasure?

I give it to DS2 (2.5) when I feel like he's not getting enough nutrients (he seems to be a vegetarian, so he'll eat PB&J and eggs...no meats). With DS3 (14m) I use the older toddler formula...it's Vanilla flavored so it's more like a shake than formula. They both only get it occasionally, so I'm not too worried about an addiction.

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
When we were dealing with my DDs Celiac diagnosis we would serve green smoothies made with full fat yogurt as her drink with meals sometimes and every morning as a snack. I felt much more comfortable with it than a premade drink.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, considering it has kept my son alive, I'm pretty fond of it! Well, I should clarify by saying that I'm not talking about PediaSure specifically, but PediaSmart - which is basically just an organic version of PediaSure. That makes it *slightly* better, though it still has the sugar and flavoring. But, my son is an extreme case and will not consume ANY solid foods, so it's necessity to keep him thriving. While I think toddler formula would serve the same purpose, perhaps even better so, it is definitely an acquired taste (ie: it's gross ). The PediaSure is flavored, so it makes it more tolerable for the discerning palates. There can be a problem with them preferring it over eating foods - especially in kids like yours and mine who are very picky with sensory problems. Why stress over "yucky" foods when you can just drink and be happy? It's a tough call, I would definitely check with a nutritionist and see what they recommend.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
JennyAnneC
Registered Users

My DS2 (20 months) gets boost 1.5 2x a day. He is not a very picky eater but just doesn't have the appetite and has fallen off the growth chart.

It does ruin his appetite so I have to give it at least an hour before meals. Yeah, the ingredients suck but he needs the nutrition and calories. Taste isn't a big deal for us ...he was on alimentum as an infant.
JennyAnneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom brings us cans of powdered Pediasure when she visits. The flavors are really yummy. They don't sell it here in the states. My son doesn't like the liquid ones they sell here.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
Well, considering it has kept my son alive, I'm pretty fond of it! Well, I should clarify by saying that I'm not talking about PediaSure specifically, but PediaSmart - which is basically just an organic version of PediaSure. That makes it *slightly* better, though it still has the sugar and flavoring. But, my son is an extreme case and will not consume ANY solid foods, so it's necessity to keep him thriving. While I think toddler formula would serve the same purpose, perhaps even better so, it is definitely an acquired taste (ie: it's gross ). The PediaSure is flavored, so it makes it more tolerable for the discerning palates. There can be a problem with them preferring it over eating foods - especially in kids like yours and mine who are very picky with sensory problems. Why stress over "yucky" foods when you can just drink and be happy? It's a tough call, I would definitely check with a nutritionist and see what they recommend.
Would you care to tell me a bit more about pediasmart? I don't think you can get it in stores around here, but I saw a can online for about 15 bucks and I was wondering how many servings that makes. Does it taste good? More like a regular drink or shake or something, and less like formula? I would rather not start an addiction, for sure, but we could use a supplement while encouraging her to eat foods...and, well, sometimes you just do what you have to do.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I had friend that used toddler formula not pediasure for her picky eater. But if not like toddler formula then do what u needd to get her the nutrition. Are u against vitamins?
No, I'm not against vitamins. We didn't really do them with the first two kids, just because I didn't feel like they needed them but since this one has came along we've all been taking a chewable vitamin daily.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think its pretty gross and would avoid it at all costs there are lots of other smoothie type things to get actual food calories in like avocado, pb, even haageb daz ice cream is whole foods with orecaloriesand fat than pediasure. Then supplement with high quality vitamins or actual nutrition.

That being said, like alex said it kkeeps my dd alive and so i am glad for it. She recieves most of her daily calories from it and we havent found anything else that works for our needs. It is what it is. I wouldnt consider it for what the commercials say, like a snack for a picky eater. Too many calories for that. Its all sugar and oil.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mmmmm sugar and soy. Not for us. The ped wanted my son on it when he wasn't gaining enough weight. It did not agree with him at all. His poor little bum and the crying when he went. Anywho we tried it for only a few days then moved on to other things, which worked in our situation.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The sugar is in there to get easily digestible calories in your child. If your child didn't need the calories, you wouldn't be using pediasure. For many moms, it is a last ditch effort product before going to medical formulas. My son is on Peptamin Jr for 32 ounces a day, which is a hypoallergenic version of Pediasure. We'd love to be on it.

Pediasure is a product your child can live on. It is supplemental nutrition. If you are concerned, I would suggest you contact a pediatric nutritionist to work out an appropriate plan for your child. There are other products out there, but they all have sugar in some for or another to get the easily digestible calories in.

I have to agree with this. I would assume you are working with an OT for the sensory issues. You should also be working with a dietitian and your Pedi. There may be some other suggestions made, but I would be most concerned with getting balanced nutrition when you often can't because of sensory issues. Are there things your child does like that you can mix with other foods to slowly introduce them. What about smoothies? OR crunchy things? I am an OT so I see this a lot. It is normal to not want to give your child something that makes it so easy to say no to food, but sometimes it is necessary to get through this stage. Most do grow past this with help so keep your chin up.