Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

Stopped STTN. This is a phase right?

DD started sleeping through the night at about 7 weeks. We swaddle her and she's in a cosleeper attached to our bed. She goes down at 9pm, wakes at 6am when the alarm goes off, nurses, and then falls back to sleep until 7:30 when we get her up to go to the babysitter.

She's 4 months old now and for the last week or so she has decided to stop STTN. She'll go to sleep at 9 but wake up in 45 minutes. I'll nurse her and it takes a while to get her back to sleep (she's wide awake and talking and smiling - not tired at all). After about half an hour of rocking and singing, she's back to sleep for another 30-45 minutes and then awake again. Same thing happens. Once asleep for the third time, she'll then wake up about 2 times more until 6am.

Is this just a phase? A growth spurt? Possible teething? Advice? I am not handling the lack of sleep well! :-)

Advertisement

lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stopped STTN. This is a phase right?

Sounds like you got lucky at 7 weeks! 4 months is a time for growth spurts, developmental growth and sleep regression! It's a hard month! Hang in there, it will pass. Just be there and listen to her and meet her needs and you will be thru this before long. I clearly remember 4 months and 6 months! Hard times!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Sound normal to me. It will pass. My kids go through weird sleep phases until about two years. They are never predictable for long as it changes every few months.
jamie714 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-...ep-regression/. It's normal. Still sucks. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes it's a phase. And it will happen again and again as well. These LO's just have a lot going on and sometimes they don't sleep as well as other times. Just try to hang in there and remember one day (in a year or two) she'll be STTN properly if you're lucky!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay
http://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-...ep-regression/. It's normal. Still sucks. Good luck.
Ah... The 4month sleep regression. Very very normal.

DD went from STTN at 12weeks to waking up 5-6x a night from 3.5months to 6.5months. I was so exhausted.

I hope yours ends quicker!

There's also a 9, 13, 18 and 24 month regression that I'm aware of. But some babies skip all or some of them. And the 13month/55week one is very short and usually gets attributed to teeth or something

Anyways, it is normal, it does suck - good luck!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Normal. My DS1 did the samething, but the waking up lasted way too long. Started at 4 months lasted till 10 months, and I was working at the time and the main night time person. It was exhausting.
It really stinks. I'm sorry.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
lotstolearn
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I figured I just had to suck it up and deal (and drink lots of coffee) but didn't know if there was something else I should be trying. The babysitter was telling me I need to start feeding from a bottle at night to make sure she was getting full. I breastfeed when I'm with her and refuse to give a bottle when I'm around so that's not going to happen! I just needed to hear that this is a normal phase. Thanks!!
lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
CrunchyMomOf2
Registered Users
seller

Yeah pretty much anytime DD learns something new she starts the night wakings again. Most recently it was pulling up and crawling all in one week that did it. My DH said the other day, "Wow, I think she's ready to start walking." I was like "No! Don't say that!" lol I've started to relate milestones to me not sleeping.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugg. DS is 7. I STILL remember how horrible it was. He STTN at FIVE, yes, 5 weeks (ok, so he was 13ish-lbs but ebf) 9-10 hours. It was amazing... then he hit 4 months and never looked bad. I swear that kid didn't STTN again til he was 2. DD was kind enough to not even bother giving me the 5 weeks - 4 month span. She just held off STTN til she was over 2.