Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ISO: angelcare baby monitor/video baby monitor reviews

We didn't get a baby monitor for DS. I felt like our house was small enough that it was pretty much pointless. This time around, I think I want one. It would be awesome to be able to go out in the backyard with DS while the newbie naps. I also happen to be neurotically concerned about and terrified of SIDS. I think the Angelcare monitor would be great for us. I think it would give me a great deal of comfort. I'm going back and forth, trying to decide if I want the full video monitor or just the basic monitor. There are so many times when I wish I could peek in on DS. I see a great deal of benefit to having a video monitor. That said, they scare me a little. One of my Facebook friends had a status recently about being able to see someone else's baby on her video monitor. That's a little creepy.

What do you think about Angelcare monitors and video monitors in general?

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think the Snuza Halo breathing monitors are better. They clip on the diaper and can be used wherever the baby is sleeping (not something moving like a swing though). You'll read tons of reviews where babies moved off the angelcare pads - my child was a swaddled inchworm who moved all over the place.

That said, you would need an audio or video monitor to go along with it.

DH didn't see the point in a video monitor, but I persisted and he thinks now that it was a 'must have'. We have never seen other babies and really, we just see an outline of our baby. If she's being vocal, I can hear that. Otherwise, I just want to know if she's sleeping or awake looking around. We could never leave her door open (cats) and have a 2story house.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: ISO: angelcare baby monitor/video baby monitor reviews

We have two monitors -- the Angelcare movement one and then a Summer Infant video monitor. We use both.

It is most likely overkill and it may have been a misplaced sense of security but I have to admit that I really love having them both.

Angelcare: we have had false alarms and both woken up to it going off (and it's like a fire alarm, really loud and obnoxious) and ran in there to find him just snuggled along the breathable bumper and off the pad enough to make it go off. I still turn it on at night. DS is 9 months old. You have to remember to turn it off before you pick up the baby to change him in the middle of the night or when you pick him up in the morning, or the alarm will wake up everyone in the house. The first few weeks we were home, my DH and I both forgot a bunch of times and the other would be woken up by the alarm. I still think it was worth it. We will probably be phasing it out soon because he is pulling up and it will be going off from him moving off it.
We have this version
http://www.target.com/p/angelcare-de...r/-/A-13220009

Summer Infant Video: I cannot say enough about how much I love this monitor. The video quality is excellent, the nightvision is significantly better than I had even hoped it would be, and the camera can move around if you need it to. We will be keeping this mounted well into the toddler years to see what he's doing in there. We have caught the dog laying in the rocking chair on this monitor, it's awesome. I can show you a photo of it mounted in his room if you need to see it, it's actually pretty discreet. The audio on it is excellent as well.
We have this version
http://www.target.com/p/summer-infan...r/-/A-13299985

I have never seen nor heard other babies on either monitor and we have been using both continuously for 9 months.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they have things to help block that ability for others to see, but I'm not sure.

I will tell you that if you think you are already terrified of SIDS, the monitor may not help your anxiety as they have a pretty high false alarm rate. I used to belong to a forum of parents who lost children due to "SIDS" and most of them were so freaked out when they had subs and used that monitor.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
They did a news story here on video monitors. Drove around with a monitor, a common brand, and it picked up every home in the neighborhood on that frequency. Mainly people used it to know when to rob a house, but it creeped me OUT. I'll see if I can find the story. I believe it listed brands to watch out for. Brb.

ETA: It doesn't give a list of brands, but it says wifi signal is the way to go. So I would find one that uses wifi rather than radio frequencies that aren't monitored.

abcnews.go.com/Technology/baby-video-monitors-invite-burglars/story?id=11992731

It was 2 yrs ago, so some may have stepped up their game. But I wouldn't trust radio frequency monitors. My paranoia couldn't handle the idea of some creep scoping my baby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 07-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved my angle care monitor. We did have several false alarms but I also think it saved my sons life. It went off one night and i kind of ignored it for a second because it had gone off falsely so many times. Well I only waited just a few seconds (felt like an eternity but inreality probably only 10-30 seconds.) and ran in to find my son turning blue not breathing in his crib. I picked him up, checked air ways, and then he just kind of snapped out of it and started breathing again. I still to this day have no idea what happened. There was nothing in front of his face that was suffocating him, nothing in his airway it's like he just forgot to breath or something. I wouldn't sleep unless he was on the monitor after that. Made all the false alarms more than worth it. Also, I do wish I'd have had a video monitor. Mine was sound only and if I have another one, that is on my list of things to buy.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have the philips avent video monitor, and when DH requested it while pg i thought he was nuts, but we really love it (we are not worrywarts though). I found it very helpful to be able to judge when dd was just rolling around and making noise vs when she really needed us vs when she dropped blankie over the side. In a few short mos i think we will rely on it for "omg is she climbing out of the crib" watch!
I wont go into details but the ability to kinda customize the audio and video to your needs is awesome. I live in a townhouse comm and i can get 2 houses away (outside) before i lose signal. I think it is a wifi signal bc we discovered it cant be near the computer while streaming a movie to the tv, lol. Swivel stand/belt hook is useful as i usually do most of the gardening during naptimes
I never really considered a breathing monitor bc it would MAKE me freak out. I would be so scared of the false alarms and then thinking murphys law that it would not go off the one time it really needed to. Etc. but i am totally sold on the video monitor even in a small house!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
They did a news story here on video monitors. Drove around with a monitor, a common brand, and it picked up every home in the neighborhood on that frequency. Mainly people used it to know when to rob a house, but it creeped me OUT. I'll see if I can find the story. I believe it listed brands to watch out for. Brb.

ETA: It doesn't give a list of brands, but it says wifi signal is the way to go. So I would find one that uses wifi rather than radio frequencies that aren't monitored.

abcnews.go.com/Technology/baby-video-monitors-invite-burglars/story?id=11992731

It was 2 yrs ago, so some may have stepped up their game. But I wouldn't trust radio frequency monitors. My paranoia couldn't handle the idea of some creep scoping my baby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
They cover this in Baby Bargains. They explain which monitors use frequencies that pick up other things, and we cross checked that with consumer reports to pick the one we did. I think that is what makes some of them more expensive than others.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

We have the angel care monitor and used it in her Graco travel crib and now in her pack n play. Never had a false alarm. My husband got a light board of wood and we put that in the make the bottom of the bassinet/pnp flat. The PnP is great because of the little holes in the bottom for the velcro, you can just put the wire through there. I think you get more false alarms in a crib. I know they say it doesn't prevent SIDS but I think if your baby stops breathing and you get to them right away you can do CPR or something. A friend's baby has something going on with him, they don't know what yet, but he's stopped breathing 3 times. The have an angel care monitor now.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
We have two monitors -- the Angelcare movement one and then a Summer Infant video monitor. We use both.

It is most likely overkill and it may have been a misplaced sense of security but I have to admit that I really love having them both.

Angelcare: we have had false alarms and both woken up to it going off (and it's like a fire alarm, really loud and obnoxious) and ran in there to find him just snuggled along the breathable bumper and off the pad enough to make it go off. I still turn it on at night. DS is 9 months old. You have to remember to turn it off before you pick up the baby to change him in the middle of the night or when you pick him up in the morning, or the alarm will wake up everyone in the house. The first few weeks we were home, my DH and I both forgot a bunch of times and the other would be woken up by the alarm. I still think it was worth it. We will probably be phasing it out soon because he is pulling up and it will be going off from him moving off it.
We have this version
http://www.target.com/p/angelcare-deluxe-movement-sound-monitor/-/A-13220009

Summer Infant Video: I cannot say enough about how much I love this monitor. The video quality is excellent, the nightvision is significantly better than I had even hoped it would be, and the camera can move around if you need it to. We will be keeping this mounted well into the toddler years to see what he's doing in there. We have caught the dog laying in the rocking chair on this monitor, it's awesome. I can show you a photo of it mounted in his room if you need to see it, it's actually pretty discreet. The audio on it is excellent as well.
We have this version
http://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-babytouch-digital-color-video-monitor/-/A-13299985

I have never seen nor heard other babies on either monitor and we have been using both continuously for 9 months.
I second both of these 100%, and would add the nice video monitor by Motorola, too (we have the top version right now and love it)
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is online now   Reply With Quote