Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh
They did a news story here on video monitors. Drove around with a monitor, a common brand, and it picked up every home in the neighborhood on that frequency. Mainly people used it to know when to rob a house, but it creeped me OUT. I'll see if I can find the story. I believe it listed brands to watch out for. Brb.

ETA: It doesn't give a list of brands, but it says wifi signal is the way to go. So I would find one that uses wifi rather than radio frequencies that aren't monitored.

abcnews.go.com/Technology/baby-video-monitors-invite-burglars/story?id=11992731

It was 2 yrs ago, so some may have stepped up their game. But I wouldn't trust radio frequency monitors. My paranoia couldn't handle the idea of some creep scoping my baby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
The new digital ones don't do this- only analog.

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

They cover this in Baby Bargains. They explain which monitors use frequencies that pick up other things, and we cross checked that with consumer reports to pick the one we did. I think that is what makes some of them more expensive than others.
Awesome to know! I figured someone had put out a list somewhere.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More

The new digital ones don't do this- only analog.
Nope, these were all digital that were tested. Maybe they've changed them, but they claimed they didn't back then and they surely did.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: ISO: angelcare baby monitor/video baby monitor reviews

I lost a baby sister to SIDS when I was a child, and unfortunately I was more than old enough to remember very well when my mom found her. I was terrified when DS was on the way of this happening, especially because DH works nights and I was very afraid to be home alone and find DS in his crib (yes, morbid, I didn't deal well with my sisters loss).

So I did a lot of research and came across the angel care movement sensor pad/monitor. DS is about to turn 2 and I still use it. I have several friends who have purchased it after I recommended it, one was having weird spells of not breathing in his crib and another was having similar issues.

We had a couple (literally a couple) of false alarms in the early months when he would be scooted into a very far corner of his crib. However, I did as the monitor instructed and carefully adjusted the sensitivity each time I received a false alarm (worth noting that they didn't wake my DS, although i did but how do you really KNOW it's a false alarm??) and the alarm stopped going off. I see people complain about forgetting to turn off the alarm, but after just a few nights it was second nature for us so that's never been an issue. It's easy to remember, and we were FTP's so we had all the usual FTP stuff going through our heads.

It's important to use a plywood board cut a little larger than the pad so the pad is on a flat surface, not the wire bars the mattress would lay on. My understanding was that they aren't to be used with PNP's but I can't remember why that is and perhaps it's not accurate. I thought it was supposed to be a full sized mattress for some reason.

Right now I use it more to know when DS decides to escape the crib than for SIDS, but truth be told, even though he's well out of the SIDS risk, I'm still paranoid. It's given me a lot of relief when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to sleep - especially that first year.

I can not recommend them enough. I tell everyone I know who is having a new baby about it. It drives me nuts when people say it isn't a "SIDS prevention." We really still have no idea what causes SIDS, and my personal opinion is that SIDS is truely probably a number of different things that the medical community hasn't figured out. It is simply unexplained death, and therefore you have no idea of knowing that some of those babies couldn't have been saved had the parent known the stopped breathing. That monitor goes off after 20 seconds of no movement (aka, breathing is what it is detecting when the baby is sleeping). Some experts believe that sometimes something just short circuits in the babies brain and causes them to stop breathing and die. So if my baby stops breathing, and that alarm sounds and jolts him awake, I'm ok with that. I'd rather a few false alarms than no alarm and find out that perhaps it wasn't a false alarm after all. If anything, you can start CPR and start the medics and might be able to save the baby. We really have no way of knowing, so IMHO it is worth every single penny.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I never got one of those camera ones, because my brother had one ( I have no idea which one) and the picture wasn't clear enough to tell if my nephew was actually breathing. I found it to be really creepy since it could easily be a deceased baby in the image I saw on the screen.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I never got one of those camera ones, because my brother had one ( I have no idea which one) and the picture wasn't clear enough to tell if my nephew was actually breathing. I found it to be really creepy since it could easily be a deceased baby in the image I saw on the screen.
I don't think the video monitors are supposed to show you that your child is breathing or not. They're just so that you can see them. Useful to know if your child is awake and quiet or still sleeping. Or has rolled over, up against the edge, has come unswaddled, etc.

That's why you get a breathing monitor. I still recommend Snuza since it is more versatile, but either option will make you sleep better even if it's overkill.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I understand the videos aren't supposed to show you that, I was simply saying I've seen a lot of people say they'd rather be able to see the baby to reassure themselves that the baby is ok vs the sensor pad, but IMHO the video doesn't assure you the baby is ok - the sensor pad does.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

okay, yeah.. that makes sense if people think it's going to tell them something like that
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I only have the angelcare with no video. It's been great. It really gave us peace of mind in the early days (little man is 10-1/2 months old now). We haven't had too man false alarms and have really felt better having it. I always thought a video monitor would be silly, but in hindsight I would have gotten one
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

I use a snuza go! monitor, love it! I had an angelcare with the sensor pads, but I never got it working right, the sensitivity would always be off and pick up the ceiling fan. If I were in a position where I'd not be in the same room as a new baby, I'd get a video monitor and snuza.