Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Veg/Vegan Ideas

We are adopting a more plant based diet but our 2yo DS has a nut allergy and is also allergic to avocado and sesame. Soooo I need ideas please (I'm desperate). I'm also 6 mo pregnant and struggling with gaining weight (had severe morning sickness) so we need high calorie foods and Ds is tiny too so calories are very important.

Ideas?

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Kitchen sink soups are awesome. Toss a ton of veggies, whatever you have on hand with some veggi broth in the crockpot with a half cup quinoa and a half a cup of brown rice or lentils. Yummy!

Pizza from scratch

Lentil/rice bakes

Quinoa patty sandwiches
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Veg/Vegan Ideas

The no avocado and meat limits weigh gainers a bit. I don't know of any particularly healthy recipes that are really high calorie. Not to mention I have never been in to substitutes. We tried a bunch of cheese, cream cheese subs and found them pretty funky- at least the ones that were available to us. So we just skipped recipes that used stuff like that. Ate our old food minus the cheese or whatever. I am the same for meat. i don't do meat subs- including tofu. Milk and butter are the only subs we use (we only started doing the butter recently). So we focused on add ins. I would start adding extra olive oil to your cooking. Its not much but its a little. My dd can't have dairy or nuts (she is also allergic to coconut). Add in she has a high metabolism and she is always barely on the weight chart. She looks like she is starving, but she eats well and she has maintained her growth according to her growth curve, so we don't concern ourselves with too much. Anyway we cook everything in olive oil. Her pasta gets tossed in olive oil. I don't have much coconut experience because of dd's allergy, but you can add coconut stuff to sweet foods right? That should add some calories.

We're not vegan so we would add scrambled eggs to her rice and pasta. You said your adopting a more plant based diet- does that mean your ok with eating some eggs, cheese and stuff or are you trying to get rid of all of that? If so I'd probably weight on that until your not pregnant. We added eggs into all kinds of things. Do you eat soy? We use a soy peanut butter sub- Wowbutter. We've tried several and its the one that tastes more like peanut butter to us. DD has only recently started eating it, but I ate a ton of peanut butter a jelly sandwiches while pregnant and nursing with dd (suspect that might be why she is actually allergic). Wowbutter was pretty important for my 2nd pregnancy. I also ate it on fruit (something else I use to love peanut butter for). We're carbaloholics in this house.

You probably already saw this
http://www.vegtalk.org/health-forum/...ght-t2914.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...e-vegan-foods/
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/201...lorie-recipes/
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
angelika13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Veg/Vegan Ideas

Check out my blog- in my signature. All veg and lot of allergy and kid friendly stuff too.