Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #31
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Best of Both Worlds: At Peace with Formula Feeding

I went through this as well. My daughter had horrible reflux still does, I was so stressed out and upset all the time trying to BF a baby who gagged every 2 seconds, lots of people encouraged me to keep BFing and I was grateful, but once I just finally gave the girl a bottle (thickened formula) we were both so much happier. I am still embarrassed to bottle feed in public, I know for most it is the other way around. But being a good mom isn't about boobs or bottles it is making the hard decision when it counts. Good job for finding out what is important and don't feel guilty anymore.

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
katherineemmons
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am glad that you feel better about it! I felt like a failure when my daughter wouldn't latch when we came home from the hospital and she never would after that. I still wanted her to get the breastmilk and I pumped for her for 4 months. It got to be so stressful that I dreaded every time that I had to do it because I was only producing half of what she ate in a day and could never keep up. I went through all my stored milk and had to give mostly formula when I decided it was time to cut the stress of pumping out and just enjoy every minute I had with her!
katherineemmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
blhuns01
Registered Users
seller

I was completely unable to breastfeed due to issues with my breast tissue. I had no idea about this before my poor little son was starving at 3 days old. I had a homebirth and was fully planning on extended EBFing. My heart was completely broken and at almost 6 months out, I'm not completely over it. It hurts when people make comments or ask if I'm BFing and I hate it. I can't wait for the time when I feel free from the guilt of being unable to BF.
blhuns01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhuns01
I was completely unable to breastfeed due to issues with my breast tissue. I had no idea about this before my poor little son was starving at 3 days old. I had a homebirth and was fully planning on extended EBFing. My heart was completely broken and at almost 6 months out, I'm not completely over it. It hurts when people make comments or ask if I'm BFing and I hate it. I can't wait for the time when I feel free from the guilt of being unable to BF.
It's such a process trying to get over it, it's not easy and I cannot say that I don't have my moments where I am sad that I can't EBF. When there is a physiological issue it's so tough because it truly is out of your control. I know the pain you have experienced. Us mamas have to be strong, support one another and not judge!

::
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #35
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhuns01
Try not to beat yourself up, mama. I am an adoptive mama, and though I didn't give birth to my little bug, I have been asked so many times "are you still nursing" or "how is the breast feeding going" and even though I was not able, it broke my heart. But, I have a happy healthy 1 year old! Hang in there. not even having the option is hard.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #36
nbert921
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to all the mamas on here. but i really truely believe you should not beat yourself up so much about not being able to or simply choosing not to bf. it's a personal choice. when we told the dr we switched for ebf to ff, he told us something that did make me feel a little better. "we in this country are very fortunate to have such a good alternative to breastmilk." Although we are constantly constantly reminded of how "breast is best," we are still fortunate that if we choose not to or are just unable to bf, we have such a great alternative that babies really do thrive on.

my dd is now 16 months and was on formula since 5 weeks. she is incredibly healthy, never sick, not one ear infection, and is smart as a whip. i have no regrets for ff her. it's just what we as a family chose to do. at the time i was devastated and depressed, but now i just look back and see it was what was best for US and she is beautiful and healthy and because of that i have no regrets!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #37
RainbowMomma
Registered Users

Thank you for sharing. I am still battling on, but I think I might eventually throw in the towel.
I am in the middle of trying out a hospital grade pump, but the darn thing seems to want to rip my nips off!
I hope I can come to terms with not EBFing as you did. I really didn't expect to have such major issues with my milk supply at all, so it was quite a shock, and I still cry about it when I feed my DS a bottle of formula. I look at his little face and I feel like I am doing him wrong, but I am trying as hard as I can...
RainbowMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #38
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowMomma View Post
Thank you for sharing. I am still battling on, but I think I might eventually throw in the towel.
I am in the middle of trying out a hospital grade pump, but the darn thing seems to want to rip my nips off!
I hope I can come to terms with not EBFing as you did. I really didn't expect to have such major issues with my milk supply at all, so it was quite a shock, and I still cry about it when I feed my DS a bottle of formula. I look at his little face and I feel like I am doing him wrong, but I am trying as hard as I can...

It's not easy and it really is a painful experience (emotionally and physically) when it's truly out of your control. I personally found no difference between a medela personal (PnS) pump and the hospital grade one (in terms of production). I fought for a long time, too.

My DD is almost 7 months old and she's already starting to fight even the bottle (we are currently looking for a sippy she can use without making a huge mess).

The time with your little one is precious, regardless of how you feed him. The moments slip by far too quickly to stress over formula feeding!!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #39
Bananasmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel you! I have been supplemental feeding since dd was about 6 weeks old. She is going to be 14 weeks tomorrow. It's such a hard transition to come to terms with. I have actually been attending the local la leche league meetings so I don't totally give up on bf since I know even a little is good for her. It's so hard to not just give in a completely ff sometimes. I keep setting small goals for myself. I made it to my last goal (3 months) now I just want to make it to 6 months! Good job mama and remember as long as your doing what is best for both baby and you then your doing great!
Bananasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
Wapondi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made myself crazy with our first daughter because I had very low supply and I had a lot of guilt about it. I've been much more at peace the 2nd time. There's so much pressure to breastfeed and it can make you insane. Hugs to you! It's not easy.
Wapondi is offline   Reply With Quote