Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighmpalmer
This is a wonderful thread. I too have been considering starting this. I am very nervous about starting. Forgive me if this information is elsewhere, but what resources, like books, have you all found helpful in starting this process?

My 1YO makes identifiable sounds/faces with her elimination, but I haven't yet figured out how to start the communication process!
Check out the sticky thread where people share their stories/experiences!! And check out the books by Christine Gross-Loh and Ingrid Bauer.

Communication with a 1 year old is as easy as talking about it open door policy when you go, talking about what you're doing, talking about her faces/signals and how wet her diapers are, etc. Have fun with it

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where to start with a 1 year old?

We started a little around 11 months. One morning DD woke up dry. I had never considered ECing but I put her on the potty and she went! I was so excited that I started doing it every morning and sometimes I could even catch her poop. I didn't make it far beyond that and now every time I sit her on the potty, she gets right back up. She is now 15 months. I'm excited to see this thread because I'd like to jump back on the EC train. Good luck to you mama!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
flowergirls
Registered Users
seller

I started ECing DD1 at about 11 months. And what I did was make potty time on the little potty fun. I read her LOTS and LOTS of books on there while I was waiting for her to pee. And we were using cloth diapers, so I had an indication of when she went pee or almost when she had to go. And I realized at that point, just how OFTEN they pee! So, even at 11 months, it was like ECing an infant, a lot of trying to beat them to it! Trying to get them to the potty right before they needed to pee, so I did look for cues, I relied a lot on timing and we spent a lot of time on the potty just hanging out and reading books. She got the hang of it, it just takes time and attention.

Good luck!
flowergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
sweetencounter
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
I said what I said from experience & others around me that tried to potty train early. That's y I said we make it naked time but mine calls me poo not tells me she needs to (sign). I got lots of resistence with both if I tried to train b4 they were ready. Others I hear are having night probs. Plus I saw a post on ds that her kid was scared of the potty. I have lotsof experienced mom around me to. Others I hear early ec is mostly parental timing to get kid there to pee or poo.
EC is usually most successful when you start at birth. I'm pretty sure the Opening post wasn't about potty training. So 1 year old is considered a little late on ECing.
I'm also starting this method on my 1 year old. We are very close and I'm pretty good with cues, needs and normal behaviors with him. So Good Luck to you all.
sweetencounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Yellow Jewel
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighmpalmer View Post
This is a wonderful thread. I too have been considering starting this. I am very nervous about starting. Forgive me if this information is elsewhere, but what resources, like books, have you all found helpful in starting this process?

My 1YO makes identifiable sounds/faces with her elimination, but I haven't yet figured out how to start the communication process!

Diaper Free by 3 is the book I used from the public library. Having multiple kids and working outside the home, I honestly only began intro EC at 12 mos.
They follow you to the bathroom as soon as they are mobile! I used it to help introduce. I would sign "toliet" while I used the toliet. I brought the potty out to where ever they were (playroom, outside, bathroom). Ask them to sit, it won't be for long since they have short attn spans.
Days that I was consistant, we had snack and read books on the potty during our "naked time." A catch we would high five and have her help pour it out into the big potty and flush.
Signs...she learned the sign and anytime she would sign we would go. Sometimes there's pee, sometimes not. She would stop playing or touch her pelvic area...I take her to the potty.

Definitely check out the book.
Have fun as others have said. Its a learning process more than a training regiment!
Starting earlier for me (unlike with my 1st child) helped me not have the control issues such as holding the bladder full and refusing to go.
Yellow Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote