Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
bartstew
Registered Users

Another Emma J...

Hey Mamas,
Thinking of you that are past due, hope it's soon! I know I am not as well known around here. I used to stalk the first few months before I "came out" to everyone and then have just recently come back once I stopped working.
At my 39 week appt, my doc offered to strip my membranes but I declined because I felt I still had time. Then at my 40 week (Thurs, 7/5) I decided to get it done. My in-laws were visiting to watch our daughter when I did go into labor and we were as prepared as we were going to be. I did not think it was painful, just uncomfortable as she reached all up in there! I had no cramping but some bleeding, a little heavier than spotting. Nothing happened until Friday night, I lost my mucous plug. I was so excited because for my daughter that kick started labor and I had her the next morning after I lost it. I had some random contractions friday night but nothing really. Saturday morning, I took a 2 mile walk with my MIL, which we had been doing daily, but this time we took stairs, hills, etc. Saturday I had false labor during the day, from 3-9 pm, every 8-12 min but mild. I started having them again saturday night but not consistent. Sunday I was having contractions all day and I just couldn't figure out if they were false or not. Finally sunday night, they started coming on stronger and stronger even though they were not consistent with time so at about 2 am we decided to head to the hospital.
When we got to the hospital, I was 4-5 cm dilated and pretty thinned out so I was admitted before 3 am. The nurses and residents were excellent about my wishes to have a natural, vaginal delivery. They actually said they wished more people chose that route. They let me do my thing with my husbands help and checked on us intermittently. My doc was coming in for her shift at 7 am so by the time she got there, I was ready to go. I had her break my water at 7:10, contractions came on wildly, I threw up a few times and at 7:40, I was ready to push. I forgot just how intense pushing is, it really is indescribable unless someone has done it before. At 8:01 am, my Emma Jordan, was born.
The cord was wrapped around her neck and there was a knot in it. That didn't seem to have an effect but while I was laying their in my post-labor mode, the pediatric PA was called in to assess my daughter and I was told there was a problem with her breathing. She was taken to the NICU immediately, given a chest x-ray and was found to have a pneumothorax, a collapsed lung. It was so scary, I was wheeled up to see her and she had been put under an oxy-dome, which pumps 100% Oxygen into her lungs to repair the alveoli. I cried because I couldn't believe I couldn't hold her and nurse her but they assured me it's actually quite common (they said they usually have it happen to a baby once a week or so) and is the result of when they take their breath.
When I was transferred to my post-partum room, I asked for a pump because I knew she would be under the hood for at least 24 hours. I started pumping every 3 hours or so and was able to get something every time. The next morning, they did another chest x-ray and most of lung had repaired itself and I was able to nurse and hold her. She still had an inconsistent respiratory rate but everything else looked good. She was weaned of her IV that day and was taken out of the oxy-hood.
Everyone in the hospital took such great care of us and I am so thankful for all of their help. Even the fact that I was discharged on Wednesday, they let my husband and I stay in our post-partum room until late that night, still provided me with meals and then moved us into a transition room for that night and thursday. Finally, thursday at 2:30 pm, our daughter was finally cleared to go home! We were so happy that she could finally meet her sister too!
Since then, she has done wonderfully, she has been nursing wonderfully, sleeps excellent (more often than not we actually have to wake her to eat) and cries minimally and is easily consolable.
Good luck to the rest of you July mamas! Hope you are snuggling with your new bubbs or anxious for there arrival!

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Congratulations! The collapsed lung sounds so scary, but I am glad she is healed and you all are home now.
Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
Congrats!! Glad labor went well and baby is happy and healthy now!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
calex99
Registered Users
seller

Congrats! So glad miss Emma is okay and doing well
calex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
erkelly
Registered Users
seller
seller

So glad to hear you both are doing well! Congrats mama!!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Emma J...

Congrats...sounds like a scary start, but so glad she is doing well now! Love her name!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
bartstew
Registered Users

Thanks so much for the love mamas!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
rosenfried2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Awesome! Glad she is ok.

Follow me at my blog:Rosenfried's Ramblings
rosenfried2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh I'm so glad she's Ok! How scary and congrats!
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote