Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation ***asthma help!!***UPDATE 7-16-12

UPDATE***7/16/12

Talked to her dr..we are staying with Flovent for the day to day maintenance as it works (she does not cough at all on it and we never have to use the Albuterol..so it really controls it for the day to day). She wants to get more aggressive at the first sign of a cold so she sending us a trial in hauler, it is also a steroid but the molecules are smaller then the Flovent so will get in the lungs faster, so the first sign of a cold we are to not only use the Flovent but this other in hauler. She also said we will prob bump the Albuterol up from 2 puffs every 4 hrs to 4-6 puffs or might think about getting the Albuterol via neb. (via neb is like getting 6 puffs). She is writing us up a new action plan and we again are to take notes and call her with any questions or concerns. I will be very interested to see how her next cold goes...keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to you all for all the info it has helped a ton!

Dd is two and she has had a cough that is really bad at night..like coughs every 10-15 sec.(coughs very little during day with this cold) we saw a ped spec. and they put her on Flovent twice a day and Albuterol when needed. sine on flovent we had no night coughing...untill sat. as she has a cold. we went in and she is on liquid steroid twice a day for five days plus her two inhaulers and she is still coughing so bad at night she cant sleep. my question is does albuterol work for u or your kids..i dont see it helping what so ever. also im nervouse this is not norm and want to talk to spec about getting an ultrasound on lungs..she had xray and all was well..but im worried we r missing something?!

things we have tried

Teas with honey
just honey
saline spray
elevating bed
warm and cold mist hunidifers
apple cider vingar sprayed on pillow
warm water
air purifier
was tested for allergies
wash cloth on back of neck (read it helps coughs)Lemon in warm water

Advertisement

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!

Last edited by galesville1980; 07-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long has she been on the steroids? It takes around 24 hours for it to kick in.
Asthma is tricky. Once you learn how to control your child's case, it gets a lot easier.
Cold's almost always cause flare ups.
During my daughters last flare up, we did steroids, Q-var twice daily, and her albuterol every four hours while awake.
Did they tell you to use the albuterol every 4 hours? It's necessary during a flare up, in my experience, to get it under control.
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: ***asthma help!!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorris2 View Post
How long has she been on the steroids? It takes around 24 hours for it to kick in.
Asthma is tricky. Once you learn how to control your child's case, it gets a lot easier.
Cold's almost always cause flare ups.
During my daughters last flare up, we did steroids, Q-var twice daily, and her albuterol every four hours while awake.
Did they tell you to use the albuterol every 4 hours? It's necessary during a flare up, in my experience, to get it under control.
yes we do it every four hrs and i dont see it helping what so ever. she has been on the meds since sat morning..so just had her fourth dose. she coughs like crazy and gags she coughs so hard. She just started doing this abour 6 months ago after she had a really bad cough (may have been rsv). im calling het spec. tom to let her know we were in over the weekend...just at my witts end with this..feel so bad for her! and we all need sleep

Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Albuterol is more of an emergency inhaler. It won't help a cough that is just cough. It reduces the inflammation in the airways making it easier to breath. but if the cough is not being caused by inflammation in the airways it won't help. My guess is the cough has nothing to with asthma is is from her cold- in that case it won't help. Is she wheezing at all? How does the cough sound? Is it dry? Wet? Try treating the cough itself- since more then likely its from the cold. Albuterol will lose its effectiveness if over used, but like I have already said it won't help the cough if the cough is not caused by inflammation in the airways anyway.

ETA- this comes from an adult standpoint, my kids don't have asthma but my mom had severe asthma and I've had to use albuterol from time to time (currently using it because if the humidity and allergies) to reduce inflammation.

Last edited by jbug_4; 07-15-2012 at 06:48 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Albuterol is more of an emergency inhaler. It won't help a cough that is just cough. It reduces the inflammation in the airways making it easier to breath. but if the cough is not being caused by inflammation in the airways it won't help. My guess is the cough has nothing to with asthma is is from her cold- in that case it won't help. Is she wheezing at all? How does the cough sound? Is it dry? Wet? Try treating the cough itself- since more then likely its from the cold. Albuterol will lose its effectiveness if over used, but like I have already said it won't help the cough if the cough is not caused by inflammation in the airways anyway.
It was a croup cough per Dr visit that is one reason we twent in...now it is a wet cough. good to know i shouldnt see a diff in the cough. i know the cough is from her cold but the as what we think she has astma is flaring up at night do to her cold/cough. im not kidding when i say she coughs every 10-15 sec...she gets no sleep and we have tried all the tricks known to man to help her cough..

Last edited by galesville1980; 07-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm sorry your going through this. Is it pissible she is having an allergy asthma attack? My daughter would have flares after/during a cold or if her allergies were really bad. We never had a liquid Staroid, but they also didn't diagnose her until after she got pneumonia at 4.

She was on Singular daily, Flovent once a day, and Albuterol as needed and that was barley ever used. DD1 also got the coughing attacks not the wheezing attacks so I feel your pain. I remember sitting there and crying because there was nothing I could do.

*****as I typed this I remember what I was told to do and it help. Give her peppermint candy or a tea. It help open the airways. It works I was on a game once when B had a cold attack, and there were some friends who suffer bad and they told me peppermint works.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does she have a lot of mucus? if so work on clearing that out. Steaming her if it doesn't upset her asthma will help a lot. you can put a hot, wet washcloth over her sinuses and nose. Use a netti pot. I don't think there are any otc meds to clear her up at such a young age. Maybe some vics on her chest. And like pp suggested peppermint candy or tea- anything minty will help loosen stuff up and give her some relief.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom View Post
I'm sorry your going through this. Is it pissible she is having an allergy asthma attack? My daughter would have flares after/during a cold or if her allergies were really bad. We never had a liquid Staroid, but they also didn't diagnose her until after she got pneumonia at 4.

She was on Singular daily, Flovent once a day, and Albuterol as needed and that was barley ever used. DD1 also got the coughing attacks not the wheezing attacks so I feel your pain. I remember sitting there and crying because there was nothing I could do.

*****as I typed this I remember what I was told to do and it help. Give her peppermint candy or a tea. It help open the airways. It works I was on a game once when B had a cold attack, and there were some friends who suffer bad and they told me peppermint works.
She was tested and had no allergys..we give her ginger lemon tea and i add honey...no help at all but still give it to her.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Does she have a lot of mucus? if so work on clearing that out. Steaming her if it doesn't upset her asthma will help a lot. you can put a hot, wet washcloth over her sinuses and nose. Use a netti pot. I don't think there are any otc meds to clear her up at such a young age. Maybe some vics on her chest. And like pp suggested peppermint candy or tea- anything minty will help loosen stuff up and give her some relief.

We do use saline spray for her...hmm i should maybe try pep. tea..that is one thing we have not tried.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS does Flonase 2 squirts in each nostril to help with snot. It takes 2 weeks to kick in fully, though.

Colds really screw with asthma. If all 3 kids get a cold, my asthma kid is always the last one better, and cough.

If he is bad enough to be on liquid steroids, we are always on albuterol every 4 hours around the clock, per the pulminologist. Ours is very agressive. His stance is that he would rather over medicate than cause lung damage from out of control asthma.

Also, you might talk to your doc about Pulmicort. It works differently than other asthma drugs and doesn't get absorbed in the body and cause the side effects of other asthma drugs (it stays in the lungs).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote