Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Some little things thay have helped my 7yo with his asthma (dx'd at 2, but haant had a true attack in 2 years! ):

Allergies and season changea trigger a lot. When the temp goes up and down (spring and fall), i bump up his local honey or Zyrtek intake to daily and watch him closer.
Breathing in cooler air helps. Worst case, ive opened the freezer and let him breathe for a few mins.
Albuterol through the neb worked best for emergency treatments.
Cutting his dairy way down helped a lot. Mucous and all that.

Watch and write down situatiins when your LO has an attack so you can learn the triggers. Hugggg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DS Forum. That means my typing is probably awful. I'm sorry.

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pulmicort is a steroid. If you're already giving a steroid then you probably don't need another.

My DD takes Flonase 1x/day (1 puff each nostril), Albuterol inhaler 2 puffs as needed and Flovent (steroid) 1 puff 2x/day during summer, 2 puffs 2x/day during other times. She also used to take Claritin to manage her allergies.

If you have to give your child Albuterol, which is a rescue medication, around the clock every day, then your child's asthma is not being managed properly. Albuterol is typically only used for acute flare ups, not for management. Most pediatricians/family docs are not versed enough in asthma management and I'd suggest you see a pediatric Pulmonologist.

Fwiw, I'm a respiratory therapist and this lung stuff is what I do for a living.

For the cough, I swear by Delsym at night. It's OTC and most any place. Not sure how old your child is though, OP. The nighttime cough could be from the post nasal drop from the cold. Try propping up on pillows when sleeping, too.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum

Last edited by TS8213; 07-16-2012 at 06:46 AM.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #23
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: ***asthma help!!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post
Pulmicort is a steroid. If you're already giving a steroid then you probably don't need another.

My DD takes Flonase 1x/day (1 puff each nostril), Albuterol inhaler 2 puffs as needed and Flovent (steroid) 1 puff 2x/day during summer, 2 puffs 2x/day during other times. She also used to take Claritin to manage her allergies.

If you have to give your child Albuterol, which is a rescue medication, around the clock every day, then your child's asthma is not being managed properly. Albuterol is typically only used for acute flare ups, not for management. Most pediatricians/family docs are not versed enough in asthma management and I'd suggest you see a pediatric Pulmonologist.

Fwiw, I'm a respiratory therapist and this lung stuff is what I do for a living.

For the cough, I swear by Delsym at night. It's OTC and most any place. Not sure how old your child is though, OP. The nighttime cough could be from the post nasal drop from the cold. Try propping up on pillows when sleeping, too.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
She is on Flovent so yes on a steroid. She was tested for allergies and does not have any. DD turned 2 in March. We dont use the Albuterol daily, just now that she has this cold and is coughing like crazy at night. She does she a asthma ped spec, I just left a message for her to keep her up to date on what happened this weekend.

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: ***asthma help!!***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianxchaos View Post
Some little things thay have helped my 7yo with his asthma (dx'd at 2, but haant had a true attack in 2 years! ):

Allergies and season changea trigger a lot. When the temp goes up and down (spring and fall), i bump up his local honey or Zyrtek intake to daily and watch him closer.
Breathing in cooler air helps. Worst case, ive opened the freezer and let him breathe for a few mins.
Albuterol through the neb worked best for emergency treatments.
Cutting his dairy way down helped a lot. Mucous and all that.

Watch and write down situatiins when your LO has an attack so you can learn the triggers. Hugggg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DS Forum. That means my typing is probably awful. I'm sorry.
Thanks for the tip on the dairy I will skip her milk during dinner!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: ***asthma help!!***UPDATE 7-16-12

UPDATE IN POST ONE

Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #26
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ***asthma help!!***UPDATE 7-16-12

Glad you have a new action plan!
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am so glad that your DR is working with you! I agree with Dr aggressive with colds is a good idea. We had to use the Albuterol with colds and it helped us we had one puff though since DD was a mild case.

Good luck keep us posted.