Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
knlrachel
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please share your 1 all time hands down favorite thriftyish meal

Sub

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

Tacos. My family loves them and they are cheap - $5 feeds us all with leftovers for the next day.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pancakes, eggs, and sausage.

I make batches of pancakes from milk on the rare occasion it goes sour and it usually makes enough pancakes to last a while. I buy the precooked Banquet sausage links when they are $0.99 each, and my dozen eggs for $0.99 each too.

For 3 adults and 1 3yo I can make dinner for approximately $3 and it only takes about 5 minutes from the time I think "Hey we should have pancakes" until we all sit down to dinner
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yumasetta

1 lb ground beef/chicken/turkey, browned (with 2 Tb brown sugar)
1 jar tomato soup
16 oz pasta, cooked
1 can/batch cream of X soup
Cheese

Brown the ground meat and mix with tomato soup. Layer on bottom of 9x13 pan. Mix pasta and cream soup. Layer on top of meat mixture. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.

Our family will eat an entire pan of this if I don't pull some out for leftovers!

The other SUPER cheap meal we do is pizza. I prebake crusts and freeze them...then in the summer we grill them. A great way to use leftovers!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold
I just tried a great recipe from Skinnytaste.com

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/w...-zucchini.html

It was super easy and affordable because it's a meatless dish. You can really add any kind of veggies. I think next time I'll even add a can of white or black beans.
Hey we are big skinnytaste fans here! It is my go to site for recipes, I usually make at least 2-3 of them a week
I made this last night.
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/d...rimp.html#more
I didn't add the shrimp due to allergies and I used cajun seasoning instead of the separate spices. It was super easy and I think thrifty. I usually have all those veggies on hand. I also buy the 2.25lb lean ground beef for about 10$ and I brown it all and put it in the freezer. I can usually get 3-4 meals out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma View Post
Hey we are big skinnytaste fans here! It is my go to site for recipes, I usually make at least 2-3 of them a week
I made this last night.
I didn't add the shrimp due to allergies and I used cajun seasoning instead of the separate spices. It was super easy and I think thrifty. I usually have all those veggies on hand. I also buy the 2.25lb lean ground beef for about 10$ and I brown it all and put it in the freezer. I can usually get 3-4 meals out of it.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE, LOVE Skinnytaste. DH doesn't even know he's eating healthy! I've tried a couple dozen of her recipes and I have yet to be disappointed. I try to make 2 new recipes a week. A lot of them are pretty inexpensive meals.

Neither of us like shrimp, but I have made the dirty rice recipe without it and it's so good.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma View Post
I made this last night.

yum! Dirty rice isnt something I would have thought to make!
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Spanish Tortilla with some peppers from a farmer's market:
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...nish-tortilla/

(I don't use as much oil).
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Definitely Smitten Kitchen zucchini and squash pizza!

Zucchini, squash and Basil are all free (from garden and from friends). 4oz of goat cheese is $4. Pizza dough is homemade. A lemon is $.45.

Slice a zucchini and a summer squash really thin (I use a mandoline slicer). Work the dough and put it on a pizza pan, pre-bake at 425 for 10 mins. Mix the goat cheese and half of a Lenin's worth of juice, until it is a soft mixture. Take the pizza shell out of the oven, spread the cheese on the dough. Break off some fresh Basil leaves, break them up and spread them around the pizza. Layer slices of zucchini and summer squash on top, covering the whole pizza. Grind some fresh pepper on top and squeeze the other half of lemon over the top. Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes. It is divine!!!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

A slightly different version of salsa chicken:

Place frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot. Sprinkle with a packet of taco seasoning (I prefer the chicken flavor, but regular is fine too, especially if you make your own). Pour a jar of salsa on top and cook for 8-10hrs. Serve over rice. It takes literally less than a minute to prepare and is SOOOO delicious! You can also shred the chicken and make tacos or burritos with it. It's DELICIOUS!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote