Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Put chicken in a casserole dish (any kind) dump in italian dressing (homemade can be super cheap), then onion slices and optional red pepper slices. Then spinach leaves. Then mozzarella cheese. Bake covered until chicken is done. Bake uncovered till cheese gets slightly browned.

Advertisement

Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
One more: Breadbox Chicken

Crumb whatever little bits of chips, croutons, breads you have left (or slightly stale) add a few seasonings and some Parmesan cheese.

Dip meat (I've done chicken and pork) in Italian dressing then in crumbs. Bake or fry.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Please share your 1 all time hands down favorite thriftyish meal

Beef and"rice" (we use millet or quinoa but the original recipe calls for white rice).

.5 lb of ground beef with some garlic and a chopped onion in a pan. Brown. Add one cup rice and stir to coat the ride with the grease (pour off excess). Add 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water and 2 bullion cubes, sprinkle in about .5tsp cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste. Put a lid on it and serve when the rice is cooked. Yum!

Polish sausage and broccoli bake

Cut up the sausage and brown it in a pan. Dump in a bag of frozen broccoli, cook till tender. Sprinkle a hand full of shredded cheese on top and cover till the cheese is melted. Serve.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #24
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

bump- still hoping to get some more ideas!
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beef (or lamb for us) stew, potatoes, carrots, a little beef dipped in seasoned flour and fried on top, add water, seasoning and a little bouilion in the crockpot and turn it on. Just before serving add some frozen peas.

We buy beef in a half for a very reasonable price so the meat isn't much, and we raise our own lambs so we eat this a lot.

The other one we eat a lot is Taco Soup.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My favorite easy easy cheap meal is LO MEIN!

I just take a box of any type of pasta (angel hair, spaghetti, whole wheat works especially well for this, brown rice or buckwheat noodles are great too) and cook like normal until just barely al dente.

Then I stir fry leftover veggies (and meat if we have it but this is often vegetarian or just a tiny bit of meat in my house) and toss with some type of oriental sauce . I often mix up my own using soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar and tiny bit or cornstarch.
Then just toss it all together.

You can use any type of veggies you want but I often use onions, peppers and julienne carrots.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Aileen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Farmers Supper

1/2 onion
2 to 3 slices of breakfast ham
1/2 green pepper (optional)
2 small potatoes (cooked – see directions below)
4 eggs
Start by dicing the onion, ham and green pepper. Get out your iron skillet and let it warm up over medium heat. Add a little oil to the pan. Add your diced ham, onion and pepper and allow it to cook until the veggies are tender.

If you have leftover baked potatoes, use those. If you don’t have any leftovers, get out 2 small potatoes, poke some holes in the skin with a fork and then microwave them until they are tender (about 7 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Slice your potatoes and add them to the pan. Cook them until the potatoes are warmed through.

Get out a small bowl and add the eggs. Scramble them well. Add the eggs to the pan and cook until they are done, stirring and scraping with a spatula as needed.

I make this simple skillet meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast I serve it with sliced tomatoes and toast, for lunch and dinner with a green salad.

Small farmers would make it with what they had on hand.

Variations:

You can use chopped up bacon, or any type of leftover meat instead of the ham.

Instead of or in addition to the green pepper you can add just about any type of leftover veggie. If you are adding the veggies raw, add them with the onion and ham. If you are using cooked veggies, add them after you add the potatoes.

If you’d like, you can sprinkle some cheese over the dish once the eggs are mostly cooked.

-------------------------

I made this with eggs, diced yellow squash, a bit of diced polish sausage & chopped onions and served it with sliced fresh tomatoes. It was awesome! Everyone in my family loved it.
Happily married to my childhood sweetheart Jason & mama to dd-24 , ds-23, ds-21, dd-19, dd-17, ds-15 ds-13, my eager little helper dd-11 , ds-8 , ds-6 and our newest little sweetheart by an unexpected but amazing adoption- ds- 9months.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

brown a pounds of sausage, drain, scramble in a dozen eggs. I usually serve toast with it. my three girls eat it like theres no tomorrow. and soooo quick and easy

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pineapple fried rice (with ham, chicken, shrimp, or whatever small amounts of meat I have if any). It's sweet so my kids gobble it up.
Fresh or canned pineapple
a few cups of rice
Oil
1egg
Frozen or fresh peas
Onion
Chili,s (can omit or use powder)
Garlic (minced)
Raisins
Soy sauce
(I feel like I am missing something, so you may want to check the Internet)
Lightly coat cooked rice in oil using your hands to toss the rice. Heat oil in a pan add chopped onion, garlic and chilies . When tender add beaten egg and scramble mixing with veggies. Add meat (meat is optional). Add pineapple, peas, soy sauce, raisins and cook for a few minutes. Add rice and mix until all coated with soy sauce.
Can be served as a meal or side dish. (I do an extra egg or two if eating as a meal).

We also love ramen noodles, now that we live in Thailand I'm amazed at what spectacular meals can be made from it. It's sold differently here with multiple types of sauce and seasoning packets added, but back in the states we always added meat $ veggies to it to make it more meal like. Here they have kid size portions that are even fruit flavored!

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 pd of chicken breast ($2)
1/4 bottle of jerk marinade (on sale, 50 cents)
dirty rice mix (1.50)
1 can of black beans (60 cents)
1 pound of peas ($1)

$5.60 plus tax in my area. You marinade the chicken, then grill it. Make the rice, peas and black beans separately then mix is all together in the end (otherwise, the black beans make everything gross looking). This is our cheap meal and my DD's favorite meal. It feeds us for supper then her for lunch 2-3 times. She would eat it every day.

Would be cheaper if you made your own dirty rice and if you debone cheap chicken breast on sale.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote