Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you all just ever want to give up CDing?

Nope, I love CDing. I do all my laundry at the laundromat anyway so I don't have to worry about a water bill. I just do one wash and they come out nice and clean.

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
4boys4me
Registered Users

Ok, Thanks you all! My plan for right now is to buy some different detergent and go from there. I have to atleast try. It is funny that I don't mind the stuffing of all the pockets, lol It is the washing (which the machine does) and the leaking, etc.. so, I will stick with it and get something else to wash them in.. Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that you have gotten a lot of good responses, but I just want to let you know that I feel your pain!

I have wanted to quite twice. Once, because of leaks, leaks, leaks (I absolutely understand your frustration there) and once because of an awful rash due to build up. I too have a heavy wetter and as cute as they were I finally had to give up on Roos.

I agree with other posters. Chuck the F&C. I used it for a looong time ignoring other mama's warnings. Seemingly, all of a sudden is when my DD kept getting this awful rash. Literally the wash that I switched to Sportwash, it went away.

I know you are not in the position right now to buy new diapers, but what finally proved to be leak free for us were BumGenius with just one CB insert. You still get the advantage of the O/S, but they absolutely work. They are pretty pricey right now especially with the colors coming out, but if you can find the old style with the snaggy tabs on the FSOT board, you can get a good deal.

I would also highly, highly recommend a diaper sprayer. I have to swish and dunk on vaction and I am always so glad to get back home to my diaper sprayer. Love that thing!!!

mama. I went through the same thing. So hang in there. But if after switching detergents and other things, it is still not working out, don't beat your self up. Your sanity is the most important thing so you can love that sweet baby. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #14
Mizelenius
Registered Users

I'm new here but not new to cloth.

One of the best pieces of advice I read (on the Kissaluvs site) was to KIS-- keep it simple. This is what has kept me going!

Let me go down your list:

Stripping/ammonia smell.

My first thought is that you are using too much detergent. Many people do. Unless you have hard water, you need very, very, vERY little. I barely line the bottom of the cup, and I can even go without ANY detergent for several consecutive washings. We have no smell problems or buildup-- and I just use Arm and Hammer (dye/smell free).

Try drying your dipes every so often in the sun. That is a free and easy way to keep them really clean!

Wash Routine.
All I do is ONE hot wash with a cold rinse. Period.

Swishing/dunking/flushing.
I put my DD on the potty for poo. You could try that. If not, use a fleece liner. The poo will fall right off. Don't dunk or swish! Just throw it in the washer as-is.

Leaks.
Buy yourself some prefolds, a few Snappis, and some pull on nylon covers. Add some hemp doublers (fleece topped) and you are SET. You won't have leaks, fit issues, etc. These are SO easy to keep clean and so cheap. These could be your staple, and you can try other things when you are in the mood.

Cloth does not have to be hard or complicated OR expensive!
Mizelenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Alex just had a poop leak at nap, she is teething and has some watery poo and that made me doubt CDing until I realized it would have been wayyyy worse with a sposie!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'd definitely switch detergents! I think all of my "I want to quit" days were when I was using All F&C! That stuff is aweful and it's SO easy to use too much - so it's like every other wash I had buildup! I got sick of that amonia smell real fast! I first switched to Tide Free (powder) and only used at most a quarter of a scoop (and that was on big loads of diapers!).. it was usually more like an eighth of a scoop! It worked way better and I didn't have to order online or anything. Now I use a Trader Joe's brand because the Tide Free gave Eliana a rash - it works even better.

Be really careful about not using too much. After the next time you strip your dipes, try using about half of what you normally use and see if that helps. If dipes come out of the wash smelling poo-ish, it's not enough detergent. If they come off baby smelling like amonia, it's too much.

Since you're using mostly pockets, you might just go with Sportswash - I've heard that's the best for pockets.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
4boys4me
Registered Users

I do use a fleece liner.. still have to dunk and swish. I use 1tsp. of detergent at every wash and I add it to the prerinse cycle before my hto wash, etc.. but yeah,lol.. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #18
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the other responses, but just wanted to chime in.
I think it sounds like you need a break, and I think that's okay.
If you want to try and figure things out with the cloth, then maybe a change of detergent would be a good place to start. I can also highly recommend Bac-Out for getting rid of any odor that might linger, especially in overnight diapers. We use it in our cold soak and can really see a difference if we start going without it.
It sounds like you're using pockets; maybe you could just buy a few new inserts so you don't have to go through all the stripping of the old ones?
At any rate, hope things get better and don't feel guilty if you need a break.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #19
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yucky... dunky and swishy
is there really no way around it? I'm sure you've tried.
i stay away from hemp and now micro over night becuase I don't like dealing with the stinky issues. I say try to prefolds too. Atleast they are super easy to wash and I've never had a leak out of the cover at least under a prorap, or dappi nylon if the diaper was all the way tucked in.... there has to be something said for that ... a little fabric paint can make them cuter too. With mostly prefolds I can soak them overnight or for a couple hours on cold, hot wash and cold rinse. Actually I just do the first one for the poopy. I don't have probs with the All but of course we are back to the difference between prefolds and most other stuff LOL

good luck!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I do! I go on a diaper hiatus ever few months!! I use sposies for a month or so and give myself a break! And then I go back to cloth when I'm ready!!!
Don't feel bad!!! CD is not exactly the easiest thing!!! Give yourself some credit for doing it as long as you have!!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote