Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are you taking for vitamins?

I started taking Usana Essentials about 4 months ago and have just loved them. It's a couple pills of vitamins and minerals (good for prenatal), as well as fish oils (EPA/DHA) and vitamin D. I have also just started taking some Usana probiotics every couple days or so... it's all a bit pricey, but they are great quality and make me feel good.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #22
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
I just take folic acid. It's prescription here and other vitamins are not recommended unless blood work shows deficiencies. Ill be in the US in September though and I'll prob stock up on new chapter prenatals and fish oil though.
Not to start a debate here but I wouldn't recommend spreading information like this without knowing each person's body. Not to mention folic acid is a synthetic form of folate. Folate in real form is far better than folic acid. Same thing with B12's in form of methycobalamin vs. cheap B12's filled in most vitamins in form of cyanocobalamin.

We're all deficient for the most part. In the US people are dying from various diseases and gaining weight from malnutrition, not because they eat too much food. Even if you were to eat clean diet you still need supplements. Sure, the medical field and most doctors will tell you otherwise but they are medical doctors for a reason, not a nutritionist.

Sure, you want to limit the amount of iron and taking too much of certain supplements but for the most part whole food based if not vitamins made from natural source would help to fill the gaps.

Also cheap inferior vitamins is just a way to throw out your money. Too many fillers that cause more harm than good. Centrum for example would be like the junk food of vitamins.

When you break down the numbers whole foods/organic supplements aren't that expensive in a long run. You're doing far better things for your body than taking cheap/synthesized vitamins you don't know what's in it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take JuicePlus everyday & I just ordered Rainbow Light as well.
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
abhernandez
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Not to start a debate here but I wouldn't recommend spreading information like this without knowing each person's body. Not to mention folic acid is a synthetic form of folate. Folate in real form is far better than folic acid. Same thing with B12's in form of methycobalamin vs. cheap B12's filled in most vitamins in form of cyanocobalamin.

We're all deficient for the most part. In the US people are dying from various diseases and gaining weight from malnutrition, not because they eat too much food. Even if you were to eat clean diet you still need supplements. Sure, the medical field and most doctors will tell you otherwise but they are medical doctors for a reason, not a nutritionist.

Sure, you want to limit the amount of iron and taking too much of certain supplements but for the most part whole food based if not vitamins made from natural source would help to fill the gaps.

Also cheap inferior vitamins is just a way to throw out your money. Too many fillers that cause more harm than good. Centrum for example would be like the junk food of vitamins.

When you break down the numbers whole foods/organic supplements aren't that expensive in a long run. You're doing far better things for your body than taking cheap/synthesized vitamins you don't know what's in it.
It's the recommendation from the medical community in Argentina. I've heard similar things for people living in European countries. It's just a different perspective for a different medical community in a different country. The only vitamin available here by the way is centrum (aside from folic acid). And guess what... this country has a population of over 40 million and we don't have an abnormal amount of birth defects or unhealthy babies or mothers whatever. And I can't go out and buy whole foods/ organic supplements. I literally can't. They flat out aren't available here and it's illegal to import vitamins. And I'm not going to feel guilty for it. It's obviously not a requisite of pregnancy because the rest of the world seems to be producing babies just fine without top of the line organic supplements or even taking vitamins at all. I just thought it would be interesting to the group to see how things are done else where.

Last edited by abhernandez; 07-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.
abhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
They flat out aren't available here and it's illegal to import vitamins.
That's really interesting; my post wasn't meant to attack you but the whole medical community is completely different here also when it comes to proper supplementation. Granted, no one can supplement enough or have 100% of anything including in organic/natural form but there's just a lot of misinformation out there where people can benefit.

I wonder if it's politics that are involved in the import ban if only Centrum is available...Pfizer owns them so wouldn't be surprised. At least here in the US problem with a lot of produce and foods that are manufactured is the lack of nutrients. Supplementation becomes a necessity for the most part especially being pregnant, BF'ng or even just exercising alone.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins. Otherwise I have a good diet with a wide variety of foods, especially fruits in the summer, and herbal teas safe for pregnancy.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerswife
Vita fusion prenatal gummies they have fish oil in them and they don't upset my stomach I also take iron and vitamin D
I take vita fusion prenatal gummies too bc it is for DHA, folio acid, and multivitamin. I can stomach it, bc they are yummy. ;-)

I did just notice it didn't contain iron bc the product can appeal to children so I best be going out to get me an iron supplement. I tend to be low on that but try to eat iron fortified cereal to combat that a little.

Last edited by laila; 07-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done at 3 View Post
Love the rainbow lights! I also take Nordic naturals prenatal DHA and if you keep it in the freezer there is no taste or fishy burps
Really? Freezer! That's awesome, I'll have to try that, thanks!

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #29
miabean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B002JOVOVY and Nordic Naturals DHA

lactivist, intactivist, cloth diapering, crazy mama to THREE boys
miabean is offline   Reply With Quote