Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
bakerbottoms
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper
I do not grade any work, at all, ever, not even for my 13 year old (when he was homeschooled, he is in public school for now). I honestly do not feel that grading is needed in a homeschool setting. We are right there, we know when they get something and we move on then, we know when they are not grasping something and we can sit put where we are until they get it. There in no pass or fail in a homeschool, at least not one that makes any sense to me.

The amount of time? I am a firm believer that MAX time should be 30 minutes per "grade" starting with 30m for K. You can very easily cover the typical K necessities in 30 minutes, and I would break them up over the day. Now, I'm not saying if your kid is into spiders and wants to spend 5 hours today looking up spiders on the internet and reading books about them that you shouldn't do that. I'm also not saying that I never go over my "max time", but for the core subjects and the basics in the content subjects (core is LA and Math and content would be like social studies, science, art, music, pe, health). If we get involved in something or we watch videos on a topic, of course we can go all day on whatever it is, but I don't go that far unless my kids are interested after I make sure that we have covered the basics. I let them lead our "bunny trails".

Workboxes, We have tried various variations of them over the years, they are ok, but we don't use them any more. Each kid has a dish pan tub thinggy that has their own work in it (the only thing on their own is LA and Math), then I have a bin that is our together work (which is the content subjects).

My best advice to give you is to relax. Homeschooling does not have to be school at home. For my family I have learned the less it looks like school, the more they thrive and learn.
Love your view on homeschool!! This year will be our first year Starting K with my older two kiddos.

Advertisement

~ Albert Einstein
bakerbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
lyterae
Registered Users
seller

Re: Kindergarten questions

I am currently homeschooling my 6 year old (1st grader) :

1.) I don't grade anything, I review her work and mark the ones that are incorrect and we review them.

2.) For Kindergarten we spent about an 1-1.5 hours a day, right now for 1st grade it's looking like we'll end up around 2-2.5 hours (depending on how cooperative she is). We only plan on school 4 days a week (we attend a homeschool co-op one day a week) and some days she will do several days worth of one subject and other days she won't do any. I make a plan per "quarter" of what I want to get done in her books and I keep track as we go along.

3.) I haven't heard of workboxes either but I'm off to read about them.
lyterae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are about 1/2 way through my 5.5 year olds kindergarten year. I do not grade anything. We don't do a lot of written worksheets anyway so there isn't really much to grade. She does have a math workbook and we do it with me sitting right there with her so if she gets something wrong I work with her on how to get it right.

As far as how much time we spend about an hour a day on schoolwork. Usually that's broken up as 15 minutes for phonics, 20-30 minutes for math (depending on how things are going that day), a bit of science 2-3 days a week, and guided reading. We also do some arts and crafts throughout the day but I don't consider that school. We don't school on Monday. Tues, Wed and Thurs are regular school days. Friday is our fieldtrip day and I don't tell them where/what we are doing but give clues. So usually friday is about 15 minutes of guided reading that somehow correlates with our fieldtrip and a math lesson that somehow goes along with it (like last week we went blueberry picking so she did some worksheets on counting the blueberries and adding them up).

We don't do workboxes either, mostly because i'm just not organized enough for them.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Hi! Here in Florida, public school K is all day 5 days a week! And we have really bad ratings and horrible scores!! Anyway, I homeschooled K last year and did one hour a day 3-4 days a week. We also loved playing games like Go Fish, Memory, UNO, anything really- just loved games which seemed to help. And I had her do puzzles and crafts whenever bored. Near the end of the year, I went through four boxes of Bob books slowly at night before bed (like 1-2 readers a night) casually. She tested far into 1 st grade for the private school I am putting her into next year so it worked. I really don't think it's how much time you put in a day or tests - I've never tested her. Thinking that last year I spent 3-4 hours a week on worksheets and she learned more than her public school peers that were in school all day five days a week! I'm so glad I got to enjoy her at home. She's going to a part time school next year since we have just had a baby and busy with three smaller kids. I'll still be homeschooling off days. Florida also doesn't need proof of work or evaluations until the child is 6 and she's still 5. Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
LindsayNErik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my K'er,we do not do grades,but we do correct any and all mistakes. I check her work and then together we fix anything that will need corrected.

We work for 90 minutes a day. We do it in one sitting from 1:00-2:30 each day.
LindsayNErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper View Post
We started out looking like a school room many many years ago now. It was fine, but as we grew and learned together, my idea of what our homeschool was to look like. We are very very far from unschooling. We are not child led. I set our direction. If the kids are interested we do go into child led mode, and we can stay there until they have found all that they feel they need. When they are on a wild bunny trail, we can spend litterally 12-15 hours a day on a topic, reading, drawing, looking things up online, playing games, making games, etc.

In K my main focus is on math basics and phonics basics. I prefer a better late than early approach to deliberate education. This is what works for my kids. They are always learning things, the learn so much just from living life and even watching cartoons/movies (they love things on PBS and the like), they love to play games that have educational elements to them (both board and computer).

The beauty of homeschooling is that there are as many different ways to homeschool as there are homeschoolers. I bet no two homeschooling houses look exactly the same.
This is how I feel about it also. However, we have only been doing it for one year. So, I can't say we started out a lot different than we are now. But, I tried to push my oldest to start sooner (since he only misses the K cut off in our county by 2wks) and learned very quickly that I'm totally a "better late than early" mom. Pushing was not the right thing to do for us. I want to let my young children learn in a relaxed way.

I'm exactly the same with my K focus being basic phonics and math. We do more than 30 minutes, but I don't push it. Honestly, if we didn't get interrupted by other kids and he was more focused, it might not be much more than that. We do have a curriculum, but other than the math and phonics, it was just a guide. One of the reasons we school year-round is so that we can be relaxed and take breaks and go slow. Some days when my K'er didn't feel like we didn't do it. I also suspect that I'll get even more relaxed with K with my younger kids. He was my oldest and got all my focus. I'll be interested to see how things change over the next several years.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I finished up K w/my daughter last month. I didn't grade her work (I still won't in first grade, though I'll have to use "satisfactory" for my quarterly assessments). Seatwork took between 1-2 hrs depending on the day. Can't help you w/workboxes, but they seem like a neat idea. If your child likes crafty-type things, you could look at doing lapbooks.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #18
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't grade here either. I go over K's work soon after she's done, and I praise a job well done. If something is incorrect we go over it right away, and it doesn't usually take long for her to figure it out.

As for time spent, we do about 1.5 hrs between morning and afternoon. 20 minutes of this is phonics, 20 minutes math, and 20 minutes reading a story together, everyday. Everything else I spread throughout the week. Some day's are 2 hrs,. but 30 minutes is music or art, which she begs to do anyway.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 07-28-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

1. Do you use grades in kindergarten?

No grades. If something is wrong, I ask questions and guide until the correct answer is discovered by my child.

2. How long do you HS your kindergartener?

Depending on the day, one to two hours. We do calendar time, Bible lesson, Science (L.I.F.E.) ETC, Funnix Math and Phonics, US History & Geography (Adventures in America), continent unit studies, HWOT and P.E./music/art. Not every subject is done every day though.

3. How do you do your work box system?

I feel like I'm spamming this pic but here is our set up:

DS1 uses the 10 drawer unit. Every unit is a subject and DS1 goes through them all each weekday, basically at his own pace. Some drawers have things like snacks or fun games, it's not all intense workbooks.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use those drawer units too, and I made a sheet in excel of an outline for our day. Each slot for each drawer, (including snack, and directed play).