Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: I know this has been discussed a million times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
no major advice but you dont have to consent to the procedure.

There are no pros that are worth it and even the AAP agrees with that.
That was the only "good" thing the doc said. He told my husband they won't do it unless I agree to it regardless what he wants.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I made my DH agree to look at all the research with an open mind, and told him IF we did it we would wait and do it with a pediatric urologist who uses anesthetic. We have 2 girls so far.

I gave him pause in his pro circ stance a few ways:

1) Asked why our son needed cosmetic surgery when we didn't even pierce the girls ears in case they didn't WANT them pierced when they were older.

2) Asked why he wanted someone to basically cut off part of his sons penis when he's anti-vasectomy because he 'doesn't want sharp objects near his pee pee'.

3) Telling him we could always circ later but you can't un-circ.

We agreed to an open, honest discussion of the facts from reputable sources.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
MyLovely
Registered Users

Have him watch the Penn and Teller BS video on it? I know that's it's generally regarded as very informative while also being funny and not preachy, since it's two circumcised comedians talking about it. Plus, I sometimes forget that not everyone wants to research a lot (I'm a research buff), so it has all the essential information without being overwhelming.

My "tactic" was that the majority of guys are totally in love with their penises. However, if an intact guy hates his, he can fix it VERY easily. A circumcised man who hates it cannot. That alone makes the decision very black and white, IMO.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you shown him a video of it being done? Or the falling rates that if he is circed he will be in the minority. I'm sorry you're having this debate mama. I will. Say if it came down to it, I would refuse to consent.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
pcjs
Registered Users

It needs to be a family decision between you and your husband, not a diaperswappers decision. BUT, if you are not comfortable with the doctor and how it is done, I absolutely would not have that person do it and would go to someone else.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

If it was my dh, i would just tell him to bite me and leave it at that. No one is cuttin my babies. Gl, mamaA
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
From my experience, liberally minded health care providers, as well as those who are truly seeking to be the best docs they can be leave the military service ASAP. For those that stay, their job is typically 60% military and 40% healthcare while using outdated equipment. I was a USAF flight medic once upon a time and one of the predominate reasons DH and I separated from the USAF was because we very strongly agreed that there were way better health care options for our children. The medical referral process within military healthcare is also predominately based on cost - so sad.
It depends on the base and doctors. I have gotten far better care on base and the off base care, especially for my son at our major Children's Hospital which is highly regarded has been very poor both times we went. I have gotten very expensive/innovative treatments done at our base and most of the equipment at our base is new and they haven't withheld anything from us. Referral management is done by a private company and they are a nightmare but those are two very different things.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs
It needs to be a family decision between you and your husband, not a diaperswappers decision. BUT, if you are not comfortable with the doctor and how it is done, I absolutely would not have that person do it and would go to someone else.
Very true. If it gets done, go to someone you trust! Also see if your insurance even covers it. They may not.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I researched it with my last pregnancy a lot (team green, but born a girl. We never came to an agreement) i told him this time and last time if he doesnt research it he gets no say.

He refuses to watch a video of it (ive watched one of each method), I told him IF (big if) I ever consented to it he had to be with the baby while its done, and he's agreed. We watched a video of a glove with a pacifier inside and I thought it was bad enough, but his closing comment at the end, "see that looks normal" what? Really????!!! Normal to who? If "every" baby boy is born intact, how can it not be normal.

By the way the doc told my husband "the pain is irrelevent. It's the memory that makes for a painful experience. He won't remember so the pain is no different than if you let the baby cry for 5 mins because he's hungry"

Eta. Although I enjoy others experiences and views, I'm not going to base our choice off it. I just need a place to vent where someone would be "on my side" because I don't have that right now from anywhere.

Last edited by champatlife; 07-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
KaseyW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out this link for info to give your DH (and maybe your Dr - couldn't hurt to educate him a little)
http://www.intactamerica.org/resources/decision

Good luck!
KaseyW is offline   Reply With Quote