Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #21
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: kind of upset..

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
i don't want to upset anyone here but it makes sense to me to stop nursing while pregnant....your body has to keep up with itself which requires extra things during pregnancy, then you add nursing to that as well. you really are taking a toll on your body, not to mention that either the nursing or the baby is going to suffer fewer nutrients somewhere and you have no way of telling whether that be with the baby or the nursing. so to me it makes perfect sense. but that's just my opinion, like i said not trying to tick anyone off. i just don't feel the mw if trying to be mean or that she's misinformed, she's just trying to give her patient her best information that's all.
I know that the midwife is informed, I believe that thereare others on this thread more educated to say why...

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #22
Melissa
Banned
seller

I also wouldnt stop unless you start contracting. As for the viactiv and jolly ranchers I wish I would have seen this thread yesterday I would have sent some for you in your package lol. LMK if youwant some and I will def. send them over. I also agree with the pp about the flinstone vits. My ob and I tried a billion (well it seemed like it) different kinds acuse I would get so sick after taking them, and when all else failed he told me to get those.

Good Luck!

BTW Love love love the set in the avi cannot wait to get it!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #23
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
i don't want to upset anyone here but it makes sense to me to stop nursing while pregnant....your body has to keep up with itself which requires extra things during pregnancy, then you add nursing to that as well. you really are taking a toll on your body, not to mention that either the nursing or the baby is going to suffer fewer nutrients somewhere and you have no way of telling whether that be with the baby or the nursing. so to me it makes perfect sense. but that's just my opinion, like i said not trying to tick anyone off. i just don't feel the mw if trying to be mean or that she's misinformed, she's just trying to give her patient her best information that's all.

if you just look at it on the surface you would think that. But if you look/delve deeper you will understand that it is perfectly fine in most cases.

if you are nursing and pregnant you need extra vitamins and extra calories. Your body will nourish the fetus first, then the nursling and then mama. You need to make sure that your are taken care of too. Contractions/pre term labor/miscarriage can all happen. but it is VERY RARE. Your body is alredy used to the constant nipple stimulation from nursing for however long and shouldn't cause contractions. of course if they did you should stop nursing immediatly, unless you are past 36/37 weeks.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #24
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

So, what is your due date?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #25
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The baby and nursing child will take nutrients, yes, but they draw on what the mother puts into her body... if she doesn't put in enough of what they need, they will draw from the mother's stores. There is little to no danger of becoming depleted if a nursing pregnant mom is informed and careful to get all she and her little ones need. I think that unless there is a specific risk connected to labor, nursing is just fine.
Milk is not my favorite drink... in fact, I don't like it at all. I eat cheeses and I take my vitamins, but it's possible to get calcium and vit. D without dairy.
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #26
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I hate milk too Irene. What about Yogurt? I also buy calcium fortified OJ. Even breads now-a-days are calcium enriched.
If you need anything from the states you cant get please LMK - you know Target is my favorite place and I'll put together a little something for ya and send it over :-)

As far as nursing while preggy goes. I know a ton of people that do or have done it. And it hasnt been an issue. Just eay healthy, and get some extra calories, etc...and you should be fine. I dont know if I would go finding another midwife just because of that it's not like she was telling you to cut your arm off or anything. Maybe that is just what she thinks. If I went and found a new dr. every time they said something I didnt like I probably wouldnt have one because I would have gone through them all. Just take it with a grain of salt. You know you're body and your babies. You know what is good for you. She was probably just saying that because there can be a slight chance of preterm labor/miscarriage.

And, yeah how far along are you??????????/
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #27
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh Irene, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you decided to forgo her advice for now though I'm sure Jasper is too...hehe! Good luck on the milk thing...I love milk so I'd be like WHOOHOO! But it sounds like there are plenty of other alternatives out there if you want to go a different route. Can you add like a strawberry or chocolate syrup to the milk to make it taste better to you?

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #28
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

She is so misinformed. I know that is frustrating for you. I nursed through a pregnancy and didn't drink milk and all is well. I did take a suppliment though cause your teeth can suffer the calcium loss in addition to the vitamin D. Can you stand yogert? I ate lots of cheese. I bet there are other sources of vitamin D. Here they are
Vitamin D is found in the following foods:

Dairy products
Cheese
Butter
Cream
Fortified milk (all milk in the U.S. is fortified with vitamin D)
Fish
Oysters
Fortified cereals
Margarine

and here is a link to the chewable vitamins
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...ctedBrand=1887

Oh you can also get Calcium from Tums antacids and they are safe to take.

Last edited by Shaineinok; 06-14-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #29
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, Irene, I'll send you some viactive too. I owe you some workbooks for your kiddos as well. As soon as ds gets over the rotovirus I'll send you some. Don't want to send you any sick germies.
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #30
kathywiehl
Registered Users

Doesn't soy milk have vitamin D? I don't drink cow's milk but soy milk is delicious to me, maybe you could try that?
kathywiehl is offline   Reply With Quote