Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pregnant with Paragard ~ ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

Here is my situation ~ I have 5 children and have had Paragard in place since Sept 2010. June 27, 2012 was 1st day of my last cycle ~ was a heavy cycle, lasting about 8 days and had horrible migraine along with it. About July 13 I began spotting, which is not normal for me. Sunday July 15, I had hip pain that for me is common during pregnancy. Monday went to the drug store and purchased 2 tests. Both showed positive. Went to urgent care that night and blood test confirmed pregnancy. Also had blood test for hcg levels (they didn't tell me the results for this test). Was scheduled an transvaginal ultrasound for Tuesday morning. Ultrasound didn't show anything ~ neither in uterus or tubes. Saw obgyn following u/s and she said because they didn't see anything on u/s they would treat as ectopic. Need hcg bloodwork again this afternoon and follow up in office Thursday morning for methotrexate.

I am scared! Anyone with experience or advice, please chime in!!!

If they don't see anything at all on the u/s I would rather wait before any drugs or surgery. Seeing as I just had my cycle, I would have to be very early along in pregnancy, so what are the chances that when they aren't seeing anything at all, that it could still be a uterine pregnancy and viable?!?!? Advice?

Advertisement

www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Kap7270
Registered Users

Re: Pregnant with Paragard ~ ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

to you, mama. I would be very cautious, if I were you. Being aggressive if it is truly an ectopic pregnancy is important, but I would definitely want confirmation. I share your concern that it might be too early to see a viable uterine pregnancy. I would suggest discussing the implications of the HCG values and ultrasound with your OBGYN and then would seek a second opinion - surely you could get a quick appointment with another OBGYN if you explain the situation. I truly hope everything works out for you.
Kap7270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:

I found on another board a woman who had one in while pregnant. I definitely wouldn't take drugs until researching for yourself. It would be way too early to see anything so I don't understand why they would be treating it as ectopic. (It's only been about 22 days since your last period. very early to even get a positive urine test.) Sounds like the dr. may just not want to deal with the high-risk factor of the IUD. And some doctors could just care less. Follow your instinct. Good luck, Mama. I'll be praying for you and your beanie.

http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Februa...7748975/page/3
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

id wait. 2 days after a +ept last year we were in a car wreck and the ER doc couldnt see anything on theu/s and said it was ectopic. i declined treatment bc i knew it was too soon to see anything. he called my phone for 2weeks telling me my tube would rupture and i would die:/ obviously i didnt and im holding a very cute 3 week old right now.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies so much!
shortcake it is very reassuring to hear your story!!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

It does seem pretty early to see anything on u/s yet. Just pay attention to your body and don't take any changes for granted just in case.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
sassybean
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would wait a while and request more testing if I were you because the same thing happened to my cousin! She had a + test and went to the dr. They said they couldn't find anything in her tubes or uterus. They told her it was an eptopic and she needed treatmeant also. She was devasted and called me crying. I told her it's possible it was just to early to see anything and don't take any measures until they had done more testing and were 100% positive it was not a viable prenancy. Well come to find out I was right and it was just too early to see the baby! She now has a beautiful 6week old!
*For all the people out there who say "Why buy the cow when the milk is free" here's a little news flash for ya...80% of women today are against marriage, why, because they realize it's not worth buying a whole pig just to get a little sausage!*
sassybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can you just request betas to see if they are doubling properly? that should be a clear sign if things are normal or not ALSO they can do more U/S monitoring. a sac can't even be seen if numbers are under 1000 and that is usually around the 5 week mark. If you start having sever side pain or dizzyness then go to the E.R other wise ask for more monitoring.
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want to chime in that my mom had an ectopic pregnancy before having me and she said the pain (even before it got too big to rupture) was SO intense and so painful that she was begging the nurses to kill her. EEK! So I also agree with pp that it may be too early and since ectopic HAS been brought up as a possibility than you should be very vigilant. If you start feeling pain then head over to your health care provider, if your gut says there might be something wrong, head over to your health care provider.

I hope you get it resolved.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all thoughts, prayers and responses!
Had checkup today and hcg numbers are going down on their own, so she said it is an ectopic that is most likely reabsorbing :,( Will monitor hcg again next week to make sure, but they should go down to no trace.
Although we weren't trying to have another baby now, I'm pretty upset by it and want to go ahead and remove IUD. I'm not at all comfortable with the way they work and am kicking myself for not being more educated about it before I got it