Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Need to clean pump and get accessories

I'm expecting #2 in November and just recently started thinking about my lovely Medela pump in style (I have a love/hate relationship with that thing). I will be working full time and plan to start pumping a stash the day the baby is born, even though I'll have 3 months maternity leave.

So, I took it out of the closet and all the parts need a good cleaning. What is the best way to get dried breast milk etc out of the tubes/bottles/parts? Soak it?

Also, I work in hospice home care and travel daily in my car (just locally). I will need some type of battery hook up or a plug in for the car lighter. Hmm.. now I guess I better go look on the website. Anyone have any advice about pumping in the car?

Advertisement

Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Adaline'sMama
Registered Users

Re: Need to clean pump and get accessories

I soaked mine in hot water with a little bit of dawn dishwashing liquid last time and the milk came right out. I had to replace the membranes, but other than that I was ready to go.

I use an ac adapter that goes into the cigarette lighter. It's in the shape of a coffee cup, and you can buy it on amazon if you search something like "coffee mug ac adapter.)
Adaline'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I'll look into it!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't forget to have the psi tested, my LC's office does it. Also, remember that they hospital provides the tubing and flanges when you use a hospital grade pump in the hospital...I plan on taking those home and not having to buy new...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I just use a regular old AC adapter for the car.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
hscannon
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can also look at getting the Medela cleaning wipes to wipe down your flanges and horns after pumping in the car since you may not have immediate assess to a sink for washing everything. I pump three times per day at work and do not wash parts between pumping, just stick everything in the fridge so that it stays sanitary. If you have a large cooler for your car you may be able to do that as well. Good luck!
hscannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
ramonajm
Registered Users

I would also recommend using one of the microwave sanitizer bags on your parts after you clean them again, and then regularly after that. You can sanitize tubing in there too, just not with everything else. I got several from the hospital since they recommended I use them 1x/day.
ramonajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
captainmorgancat
Registered Users

i just used a power invertor that plugs into your power outlet and you can plug "normal" household items into it you can also buy a pwer bar in case you wanted to pump and charge your phone at the same time
captainmorgancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a car a/c adaptor for my PIS, but I also have a battery pack. They sell a battery pack that you put AA batteries in and the plug into it so you can do it anywhere. I liked it because I was occasionally pumping in places that had no power and wasn't a car. But I was also pumping full time round the clock, so I may have been in some different places than most people would encounter. But I got it from the company.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote