Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
elevee
Registered Users
seller

What do you cook when camping?

We are about to go camping for the first time in a long time. Last time we had two kids instead of four! We'll be in tents, on a gas stove with a cooler but no refrigeration. What do you do for reasonably healthy, low time low stress meals?

Advertisement

elevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you cook when camping?

We do a lot of foil pack cooking (wrap everything in foil, and cook on coals or in a dutch oven), and you can chop veggies or marinate meat in advance. Some examples:

Mexican chicken: Chicken, jack cheese, peppers, onions, tomatoes, rice, and then sour cream at the end

Baked potato: Potato sliced open with butter, cheese, bacon, chives, and sour cream

Steak: steak, veggies, rice, anything really

We also make a lot of tortilla wraps, everything from breakfast (with eggs, bacon, cheese) to lunch (BLT, PB and Banana) to dinner, (mexican, stir fry).
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on where you are camping and how far you have to carry stuff and how long you'll be gone...
I bring a cooler most times. (I have gone without a cooler! ) I take pancake mix that only needs water. (They even have the kind that comes in a bottle so you don't need a bowl!) We might add apples, berries, or fruit to the pancakes. We usually just bring all the fruit/veggies in the house so it doesn't go bad while we are away!
We also bring eggs if I have a cooler for breakfast. (Eggs technically can go without refrigeration for a time but we keep it in the cooler anyway. )
We bring bread and sandwich stuff. (PB&J if no cooler/ or shelf stable meat if no cooler)
If we plan to fish, I might bring a lime/lemon and a instant rice side. (Like the liptons mixes)
I like Bear creek soups... Just add water and cook quick!
We bring granola bars and juice boxes for kiddos.
I'm anti-hot dog so we do brats instead! Remember to bring buns! (If we have a cooler we bring meat that could be BBQ-ed. Double bagged in ziplocks so the blood doesn't get on the other food. ) Baked Potatoes in foil are easy.
We have done cobblers for desserts.

Big Marshmallows are always a must! (And chocolate and graham crackers!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The DP grinch got me!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 07-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote