Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vent about people "in need."

I was thinking, I had one that you could flip over if it really bothered you. lol

Jake's has been used for almost 4 years now, his is cracked and stuff.. (vinyl cheap one from walmart) I don't care.

Sounds like my niece. She was always just scamming to get stuff. She was a "pregnant teenager with nothing" LONG AFTER she was a teenager.. or even pregnant.

(she had her first when she was 16)

People make up lies all the time so they can get stuff and sell it. I'm thinking your mattress with a rip in it wasn't going to pull in the big bucks she's hoping for.

Advertisement

jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
I was pretty needy when pregnant with DD1.. I tossed 2 pack and plays, one was hideously moldy, the other was recalled. I can't tell you how many carseats that were years beyond the expiry that I accepted, thanked the generous giver and destroyed. I was offered a crib mattress but turned it down. As broke as I was, anything I couldn't completely clean squicked me out. No stuffed animals with voice boxes that I couldn't throw in the washer, and no mattresses. Even the pack and play that I did take and use was a stretch, but I sprayed it down really well and dried it in the sun. Most baby stuff was fine - pacis and bottles I could boil, bedding, clothes etc I could wash, even bleach, furniture and other gear I could wipe down, check for recalls, was any padding, but I made sure I either received as gifts or bought a mattress for the crib, car seat, change pad for the change table and nursing pillow. Almost everything else I received or bought used and I was grateful for it.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I find a lot if needy people in my
Life are just cheap and don't budget for needs, focusing on wants. Expensive registry? Not a woman in need. A woman who wants to spend her money on what she wants and for others to buy what she 'needs'.

I'm probably just grumpy. But it really irks me. I'm in need. Buy me xxxxx and they aren't the reasonably priced stuff. I know when my mom was in need, nothing was turned away. Nothing.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had people like that in my life too. Or they post something like that and then post a few days later about just buying something obviously not needed. I've helped quite a few friends but have stopped since seeing clear lack of care while managing their money.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy_1996 View Post
I've had people like that in my life too. Or they post something like that and then post a few days later about just buying something obviously not needed. I've helped quite a few friends but have stopped since seeing clear lack of care while managing their money.
I am like this too. Its hard for me to offer over something for free even when I see the same people "in need" able to travel or have nice items that I would never be able to afford. Especially if they act all snobby or dont even accept the offer.

Its kinda like a little kid saying "Im hungry" and then you offer them something and they say "I dont like that"....my response is always "well then I guess you werent that hungry"
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I didn't think about people being bothered by used mattresses. If it were a regular mattress, I could see it.... but the crib mattresses are easy to clean so I guess it didn't occur to me that someone wouldn't accept a used crib mattress. The first one I had was used.

I just wiped it down, disinfected it, put the waterproof cover and sheets on it, and voila!

God bless!
Yes, I wouldn't take a ripped mattress from anyone because it means a higher chance of bed bugs. I am scared to death of them. Used mattresses are not happening in this house!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A little different but the same idea, when we lived in Korea, we would go downtown every weekend and there was always this beggar guy sitting on the same corner. After awhile I felt really guilty about always walking past him, so I decided I would give him all the change I had in my purse, which I knew was quite a bit. I dumped my wallet out, I had my two hands cupped and they were full almost overflowing with coins, at least $15 worth. He looked, sneered and shook his head at me because there were pennies in there. (The Korean equivalent of pennies are copper coloured too, so easy to spot.) I dumped my money back in my purse and never felt bad for walking past him again.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

There is a lot of propaganda about not reusing crib mattresses because older mattresses can cause sids. The inner core an also break down and make it too soft, posing a suffocation hazard. That being said, my babies aren't moved to a crib until 9 months so reusing mattresses between kids isn't as big a deal since they are strong enough to roll over then.

http://voices.yahoo.com/5-most-impor...99.html?cat=25

"DON'T REUSE CRIB MATTRESSES
I am placing this first on the list because it is perhaps the least well-known (in the United States, anyway) yet most dangerous safety hazard mentioned in this article. In the last few years, studies have shown that a baby who sleeps on a used crib mattress has a much higher risk of dying of SIDS. Chemicals used to make crib mattresses flame-retardant mix with fluids from the baby (saliva, spit-up, etc.) which, over time, creates toxic fumes. Babies obviously have small lungs and are unable to move away or recognize they are breathing in the fumes while sleeping. This helps to explain why the second child in a family is a greater risk of SIDS than the oldest, and this risk becomes greater with each subsequent child. This fact is widely known in New Zealand, where scientists and the government are making sure that every single new parent knows not to reuse a crib mattress for their new baby. Unfortunately, not all countries have caught up in disseminating this safety knowledge."

I would totally accept a used mattress without rips. One that had a rip in it? I would have to see it/smell it before I could make up my mind. A friend gave us her old mattress that had a rip and it reeked of pee and her house's air freshener. Nothing I could do could get rid of the smell, which made my eyes water and my allergies flare up. I had to give it back to her and she was a little offended too at the thought of me being needy and picky at the same time, even after I explained my allergy and the smell. Honestly, I would have put my baby on a folded blanket on the floor before making him sleep on that.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 07-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
There is a lot of propaganda about not reusing crib mattresses because older mattresses can cause sids. The inner core an also break down and make it too soft, posing a suffocation hazard. That being said, my babies aren't moved to a crib until 9 months so reusing mattresses between kids isn't as big a deal since they are strong enough to roll over then.

http://voices.yahoo.com/5-most-impor...99.html?cat=25

"DON'T REUSE CRIB MATTRESSES
I am placing this first on the list because it is perhaps the least well-known (in the United States, anyway) yet most dangerous safety hazard mentioned in this article. In the last few years, studies have shown that a baby who sleeps on a used crib mattress has a much higher risk of dying of SIDS. Chemicals used to make crib mattresses flame-retardant mix with fluids from the baby (saliva, spit-up, etc.) which, over time, creates toxic fumes. Babies obviously have small lungs and are unable to move away or recognize they are breathing in the fumes while sleeping. This helps to explain why the second child in a family is a greater risk of SIDS than the oldest, and this risk becomes greater with each subsequent child. This fact is widely known in New Zealand, where scientists and the government are making sure that every single new parent knows not to reuse a crib mattress for their new baby. Unfortunately, not all countries have caught up in disseminating this safety knowledge."

I would totally accept a used mattress without rips. One that had a rip in it? I would have to see it/smell it before I could make up my mind. A friend gave us her old mattress that had a rip and it reeked of pee and her house's air freshener. Nothing I could do could get rid of the smell, which made my eyes water and my allergies flare up. I had to give it back to her and she was a little offended too at the thought of me being needy and picky at the same time, even after I explained my allergy and the smell. Honestly, I would have put my baby on a folded blanket on the floor before making him sleep on that.
The SIDS risk was the first thing that came to mind for me. Never know if someone is going to put a NB on it.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy_1996 View Post
We have a couple that we're friends with like this (they aren't really in need, just awful with money), and while I wold stop helping them if I could, hubby on the other hand cannot (he's been friends with the man since they were toddlers and says that he can't turn his back on someone who is like a brother to him). I wish he would just see that you don't have to turn your back on them, just find another way to be helpful than handouts all the time.
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote