Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does your child know how to dial 911?

Yes, they all can. We taught them around 3.5 years old. I don't know that at 3.5 they'd say anything, but 911 will call back or respond if it's dialed I am pretty sure, so we went with that then.

Advertisement

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

We taught that around age 4. They both know 911=police, fire, ambulance. But I'm not sure they'd be aware enough to see mommy unconscious and think to call 911. Or realize I'm not just sleeping, or whatever. But if I said, 'call the police' I think they'd know what to do.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is 4.5 and a whizz at using the phone to play, watch movies, take pics, etc. Just this past week I realized it might be good to know how to use the phone. He doesn't know any of his numbers yet, but I taught him how to call someone in my Favorites on my iPhone. My favorites are my hubby and parents, so if I was in trouble he could call one of them and have them call 911. I guess we better start working harder on numbers and names and our address!

Using my iPhone, probably while BF, so excuse any typos
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
threec's
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually just started talking to my oldest, who is 4, about this yesterday. I'm 38 weeks w/ #3; and have this fear of tripping and falling down the stairs! I have no doubt he could do it, it's just making sure he can always reach the home phone, and knows what is an emergency. I'll go over it some more in the next week, to get it in his memory.
threec's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids don't know how to call 911. We do not have a home phone only cell phones. Dh takes his with him to work and mine is usually missing. I also have a lockout code on my phone to prevent the kids from using it without asking. the phone does have an emergency bypass for dialing 911 though.
I was just thinking that it is time for the kids to learn our address i will copy the pp and post a sign on the wall. Especially since the billing address for my phone is 3 hours away and no one currently lives there.

PS When I was very little I got in lots of trouble for calling 911 too often. Probably why I have delayed teaching my kids.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Angel89411
Banned

My 4 year old could. Has, actually. He has accidentally called twice. I am reluctant to teach him about 911 because his idea of an emergency is running out of Peanut Butter and he can make it sound like a horrible murder...
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ugh don't get me started. I have a phone that locks which means no calls should go through right? WRONG. If you press ANY buttons it goes to 911 and I've had my toddlers accidentally call them NUMEROUS times. Its a feature of the phone and it wont change. So as soon as the keypad is locked any key is the SOS key. I see how that could be a good feature but honestly its too easy to trip it.

I've had my local police department keep calling me to make sure I'm not in trouble and so far they've been pretty good about forgiving our frequent calls otherwise I would be in debt paying fines. Now they just ignore calls from my number and that's pretty scary if I ever need their services. I can't wait to change phones but right now its not an option. I just have to make sure the phone is far away from toddler hands.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I taught my son when he was little. I had a neighbor growing up who called 911 after his father passed out from a heart attack. His mom was out of town. He was 8. He saved his dad's life! He stayed with us that night till his mom could fly home. I was a teenager at the time and I decided then that teaching a child 911 was important!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote