Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

Slow eater?

Dd is 12 weeks old. At night she drinks about 8 oz over the course of three hours, and then conks out for the night. She sleeps for four hours, wakes up for about two ounces, and then sleeps another four.

The three hour feeding is making me a bit crazy! My arms feel like they are going to fall off.

Last time she was eating this slow wwe went up a nipple size. Is that what we need to do again? I din't want to overwhelm her with milk, but this is crazy!

Advertisement

PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Slow eater?

Maybe you do need to go up a size. What you could try doing is poking a needle into the nipple hole and making it a bit bigger. Is she agitated over the flow, or is she fine?

If she's not agitated, she could be snacking and filling up for the night. DD used to do that and still does to an extent. Only we do a combo of breast and bottle so it's not a constant evening thing like it used to be. A lot of babies do that snacking bit in the evening. BF babies as well! It's their way of filling up. DS never did that and was up every 2 hours for a long time. DD does that and sleeps a good stretch before waking again.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

She does get some breast milk, but it is pumped.

I wonder if it is snacking, because she eats at a much quicker rate the rest of the day. I suppose it is a fair trade off for only waking up once.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade7503 View Post
She does get some breast milk, but it is pumped.

I wonder if it is snacking, because she eats at a much quicker rate the rest of the day. I suppose it is a fair trade off for only waking up once.
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like she needed BM, I just realized that it came across that way. I just meant that with my DD I latch her on me part of that time because I got tired of holding the bottle. Sorry!!

It pays off in the end when they sleep so long!!