Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Vent about people "in need."

One of the women from my FB due date group posted something along the lines of "I hate to ask but I'm desperate," and then went on to tell us that the father of her child left her, she has almost nothing for the baby, and was asking for some help. Well, it turns out she lives less than 45 minutes from me.

I have an extra crib mattress, so I asked her if she needs one. She said yes that she has one on her Buy Buy Baby registry. I said "Well, I have a spare. It has a rip in it, but it was barely used (DS3 slept in it like MAYBE 5 times). If you put a waterproof mattress protector on it, and a sheet, it'll be totally comfortable." and asked her if she wants it. Well, she turned her nose up at it.

I guess if I were in her situation, I would be grateful to have a mattress for my crib, and wouldn't care if it had a rip in it, as long as it wouldn't be uncomfortable for the baby.

Furthermore, I've LOOKED online at the Buy Buy Baby store... and it seems to me that EVERYTHING there is really expensive. I'm not buying MY baby anything from that ridiculously expensive store, I sure as heck am not going to buy expensive stuff for someone ELSE'S baby. I guess I feel like if she were REALLY in need, she'd be grateful for people wanting to help, not turning her nose up because I'm not going to buy her the friggin $119.00 crib mattress on her registry!

Vent over. Thanks.

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 07-18-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

This reminds me of the phrase, "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth," or "beggars can't be choosers." Our crib mattress has a rip and we used it on a toddler bed for two kids. Turn it over, no one knew. she sounds picky.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vent about people "in need."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
This reminds me of the phrase, "you don't look a gift horse in the mouth," or "beggars can't be choosers." Our crib mattress has a rip and we used it on a toddler bed for two kids. Turn it over, no one knew. she sounds picky.
She actually just messaged me and arranged a pick up date/time/place. Perhaps she didn't mean it the way I took it.. maybe it's just my bad mood coloring my perceptions.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah, doesnt sound like she's to needy to me... Eta-why wasnt your update there when I posted lol Thats nice of you to help

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 07-18-2012 at 06:46 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Oh good. I'm glad she changed her mid and that you're able to help her!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Some people are nervous about used mattresses in particular. Between bed bugs and being unsure what "barely used" actually means, it sometimes skeeves people out a bit.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would personally never have a used mattress, but I totally get what you are saying. A new mattress at Walmart costs less than $50 (heck, they have one for $38!). I knew someone that "was so in need" but turned her nose up at things that weren't high quality (for instance, she needed a stroller, my friend offered her a nicer umbrella stroller, like a McClaren, I think, and she turned her nose up at it). And she couldn't afford diapers for her child, but refused any of our offers for cloth diapers. Some people will never be grateful for gifts and it's sad. Makes me jaded, lol!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Glad you can help her out and she is willing to take what you have to offer.
As a previous poster stated beggars can't be choosers.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't think about people being bothered by used mattresses. If it were a regular mattress, I could see it.... but the crib mattresses are easy to clean so I guess it didn't occur to me that someone wouldn't accept a used crib mattress. The first one I had was used.

I just wiped it down, disinfected it, put the waterproof cover and sheets on it, and voila!

God bless!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get most of my kids stuff used and try to look for things used before buying it new but I would be a little wary of a used mattress due to bedbugs. If I knew it wasn't used long and knew the person then I would maybe and at least a crib mattress isn't fabric and is waterproof but I still am weary about used mattresses.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 07-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote