Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
My Mood:
Big Brother/Big Sister Gifts?

When we were expecting #2, and in the midst of panic over how much I was going to "destroy my relationship with DS by having another baby" I found a thread somewhere about giving older siblings a gift "from the baby". So, I made a gorgeous quilt for DS, basically toddler-sized, and when DS2 was born, we gave it to him as a "big brother gift from the baby". He could snuggle up with it next to me, while I was snuggling and nursing the baby, and it helped me to focus on him growing into the role of big brother, and learning to share mom and dad, while I spent many late nights sewing it. He was almost 3 when DS2 was born.

Now I am trying to come up with an idea for both boys. I think DS1 is less in "need" of something from the baby, but DS2 is more attached to me, so I would like to give him a comfort object, of sorts, not to replace me but to channel some of that new-baby transitional emotional train-ride experience. I was thinking of making them each a cloth doll. DS1 will be 6 1/2 and DS2 will be 3 1/2.

What are some ideas you have seen/thought of?

Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Big Brother/Big Sister Gifts?

We got my step son a radio flyer tricycle when we had Brooklyn. I don't think he made the connection. I think I'll get Brooklyn something slightly more sentimental like a locket or pendant.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Registered Users
I have thought about getting my girls some special toys/games that will be from the baby, and then they will be their special toys that only come out when I am bfing the baby.

Sent from my droid using DS Forum
Lora, blessed to be a wife to Aaron- 11 years and a Mom to DD Ella-7, DD Ava-5, Olivia-3, Weston-1
I sell SCENTSY!!!Labor and delivery resources HERE
doulamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

maybe a doll or a doll carrier ( i want to get lor a doll ergo)
Rachael...wife to Mike 10/22/05, furmom to Swiffer 12/31/05,
and SAHM to Loralei 12/12/07 & Michael HB 10/4/10
Kathleen HB 3/2/13

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
My Mood:

Would you get a gift for a 2 year old? Do you think he'd understand? He already has a special snuggle baby and a Raggedy Andy buddy, ugh, so guilt-ridden!
Tandem BF'ing , BW'ing , CD'ing , Bed-sharing , Anti-circing , Proudly Canadian SAHM
My_Tree_Grows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I always put gift bags together for my kids from "the baby" with a big brother/sister shirt to wear to meet the baby and some activities to keep them busy (whatever they are into coloring books, crayons, stickers, a new toy they have been asking for), and some yummy snacks. This way it keeps them busy at the hospital and after Daddy takes them back home and takes some attention off of the new baby.
For my kids the best way to help the older kids with the new baby is to make sure I am spending time with them too and if they want to help with the baby I let them. People want to come see the new baby so I let them hold the baby and instead of visiting I go off and play with my older kids who need some Mommy time, I also let the older kids hold the baby, get diapers or a burp cloth or a blanket. Sometimes the item they want to bring isn't needed but they are trying to be helpful so I let them. I remember when I brought DD2 home I thought DD1 would break her. Once I learned that she was just curious and wanted to see what all the fuss was about everything calmed down.
Corissa Wife to Daniel Mommy to H (3/07) M (12/08) and T (12/10)
Baby A due 2/13
MommyMeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

When DS2 was born, DS1 was 23 months and didn't care for comfort items beyond his stuffed monkey. He was really into trains, so I bought him some wooden trains and a big brother shirt to wear.

This time I'll do the shirts again...but DS2 isn't all that sentimental either. He never had a lovey, he likes to rub my arm I think my boys would be stoked with monster trucks and superheroes...theyre into that now. I'm going to make sure to place big brother pics of them with baby around the house as they love seeing their pictures too.
*** Wifey to my love and mommy to my two little men and my sweet baby girl ***
808mamaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Registered Users

I gave DD a doll with a blanket just like DS would be wearing when she saw him for the first time. I should have given it to her before he was born because when I tried to give it to her, she looked at me like "umm, here is a real one, why would I want that doll?"
Adaline'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote