Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Home or hospital for VBAC? I thought my mind was made up, but I don't know now.

I'm copy/pasting this from a homebirth group that I'm a part of, so I apologize for any duplication of information that I've already stated here in the past.

I'm starting to get really torn about homebirthing this time. I'm due in the end of December. Here are how my births have been so far. Birth #1 - December 2006, full term, drug-free vaginal birth. Birth #2 - October 2009, full term, drug-free homebirth. Birth #3 - November 2011, 25 weeks, emergency c-section under general anesthesia.

I've spoken with several doctors, including the OB I'm currently seeing (my original plans were to transfer care to my midwife when I hit 37 weeks), and they all looked at my op report and agree that I'm a good VBAC candidate. My preemie did not make it, so the only current stress on my body is the current pregnancy (I pumped for a month and then quit cold turkey, so no milk-producing either). The doctors disagreed on the timing of when I should get pregnant again, but two of them said 12 months between births would be fine. If I make it all the way to 40 weeks then it will be 13 months after my c-section. My midwife is okay with attending a HBAC. We live 3 minutes from a local hospital.

I'm just torn on what to do. I want to homebirth. I'm not afraid of rupturing. I don't know why I keep thinking about birthing in the hospital this time. I'm just trying to get my thoughts somewhat organized, and am failing, lol. Anyone have any words of advice?

I did talk with DH this morning and we have a short list of questions to ask our doctor at our next appointment on Wednesday, and then will go from there. I also texted a friend who'd used this OB in the past (both for her hospy birth and then for the first few visits before she decided on a homebirth) and she told me that she loved the experience with that OB and the OB was very amenable to my friend's requests, etc.

Advertisement

Last edited by Harmony96; 08-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Harmony96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi mama. :-)

I had an hbac in April. So my thoughts might seem a little odd. My delivery was textbook perfect. No complications, absolutely awesome. :-) No issues with baby. And I fell in love with her! She's 16 months now and the light of my life. My older DS is 4 and was my cs baby, and I love him even more than I thought possible after having a healing vbac.

Would I do a homebirth again?

No.

What!?

:-)

Even though the risk of rupture is truly TRULY minuscule, and the risks of other complications (hemorrhage, baby needing more complicated resucitation, etc) are small - I just could not live with myself if something DID happen and the very resources and skilled people who could save me and the baby were too far away to act. I have a friend who was literally only a five minute drive away, but you add time getting
TO the car, into the car, through traffic, and from yor car into the right part of the hospital and that is much more than five minutes.

It's obviously a very personal choice - and one I made for homebirth at one time. But for me, the benefits of homebirth do not outweigh the risks of being away from skilled medical care. :-)

And I promise I really did have a dream labor and delivery. It was perfect. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would stick with a homebirth, because it seems to be what you truly want but I think fear of loss has you doubting. You went through such a hard time with the preterm birth, section and ultimately loosing your precious son. But, God is in control and nothing you do will change the plan he has for your little one on the way. You just hav to trust Him that He will give you a healthy full term baby, and go with what you feel peace with. Ive followed your story and it seems you want a homebirth but have fear of outcome?

Heres my story if it helps:
Ive had 4 premies and 2 full term births. They went 1. Full Term Hospital 2. 6 Weeks Early Hospital 3. 6 Weeks Early Hospital 4. 8 Weeks Early Hospital First CSection 5. Homebirth VBAC Full Term 6. 7 Weeks Early CSection#2

Currently pregnant with our 8th but 7th for me to birth. Were planning a VBA2C. I am choosing this route because I think its the best way for me to get to full term. Me being in control of my care is VERY important. Less stress, more trust and care = less contractions/risk of PTL. I learned with my full term home birth that me taking control and being completely determined in my birth plans (including getting to.full term) is the best thing. I take liquid magnesium, liquid vit c and liquid vit D. I do an organic progesterone cream, eat healthy and take different herbs to stop.signs of PTL and it worked vs. The medical way which didnt. Trusting myself worked and will work again. When I walk in a OB office Im soo "high risk" I feel like a failure before I even got a chance to try. But my midwife believes in me and my body. She cares about my family and my baby. I get a lot of flack from people about having a HBA2C but I have peace about it and know the Lord is in control of my babies life and I am a steward of this life. I believe the best way to get a full term vaginal birth is by being calm and relaxed, trusting in the design of pregnancy of birth and being a good steward of my body and the resources He has given me.

Im on my phone and sometimes things dont come across right typing so many thoughta on this little keyboard but, I just wanted to say go with where you feel peace and like the Lord is leading you. Dont second guess yourself, you can do this! Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

If the hospital is where you have the most peace, maybe it is right for you. IDK its such a tough choice. If you feel the Lord leading that route the trust it. Just make sure youre lead by peace and not fear, if that makes sense

Sent from my phone, excuse any typos.

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 08-31-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Home or hospital for VBAC? I thought my mind was made up, but I don't know now.

No specific advice, but just discovered this decision-making tool in easy pdf format (specifically intended for medical decisions - provided by our city for free). I used it today and found it really helpful in clarifying my decisions & the reasons I kept wavering back.

I've had a hospital birth (DD1) and a homebirth (DD2) and enjoyed both. My homebirth was the end of Dec and I really appreciated not having to take tiny babe (or myself for that matter) out in the cold! She wasn't in a carseat/cold until she was over a week old.

So sorry for your loss of little Jonathan. :hug:
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home or hospital for VBAC? I thought my mind was made up, but I don't know now.

I think it is pretty normal to be undecided about a homebirth after having a traumatic birth just prior. My 4th was a preemie with a month of hospital bedrest for me and then a 2 week NICU stay for him. While it wasn't a c-section, it was a rough experience overall. Prior to his birth I had 2 homebirths. When I was pregnant for my 5th I found myself in the same boat you are in how. I wanted a homebirth, but something was holding me back. I later realized it was the fear of something going wrong that was holding me back (as I remembered my prior experience). What I ultimately did through my pregnancy was see an OB concurrently with my homebirth midwives. I was planning the homebirth but told myself that if I decided at the last minute to go the hospital route that it would be perfectly okay to do so. And I almost did. At 36 weeks my water broke and labor did not start. I was very worried as my preemie was also due to premature rupture of membranes (at 30 weeks). I was *this close* to going to the hospital but then my water stopped leaking altogether. We did CBCs to check white blood cell counts and watched for any signs of infection. Ultimately it seemed that it was a high tear that resealed itself. So I made the decision to wait it out a bit longer. My baby ended up being born at home in the water at 40 weeks 1 day. At the time I went into labor I felt confident in having a homebirth and I am very happy with my decision. However, had labor continued on at that 36 week mark I'm pretty sure I would've gone to the hospital because even at 36 weeks there can be lung issues, etc...

I think it will really be a personal decision for you and your DH to make. And you don't have to make it right now. Heck, you can get all the way down the line and not decide until you are in labor. That is perfectly okay! Just try not to stress about it too much and the right choice will come to you.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
Just make sure you're lead by peace and not fear, if that makes sense
What actually got me first thinking about this is imagining the postpartum time, and me sitting with just my baby in a hospital room, no extra kids around pulling on me, lol. I liked that vision. Maybe I could birth at home and then transfer for postpartum?

There's the family aspect, too. DH and I are in this journey together, whatever we decide, but my mom will worry to death if she gets wind that I'm even thinking about another homebirth, especially with what happened last time. With DS1, she didn't find out about the homebirth until just a couple of months before delivery time (and it was unavoidable telling her, b/c she directly asked me. It was actually amusing how the conversation went down prior to that question, lol). She worried about it but I think she was more in shock than anything and didn't say too much until quite some time later, lol.

DH and I are definitely going to pray about it and think about it and talk some more, both with the midwife and with the OB. I think after the conversations with the care providers, things will be clearer. I'll try to remember to come back and update.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96

What actually got me first thinking about this is imagining the postpartum time, and me sitting with just my baby in a hospital room, no extra kids around pulling on me, lol. I liked that vision. Maybe I could birth at home and then transfer for postpartum?

There's the family aspect, too. DH and I are in this journey together, whatever we decide, but my mom will worry to death if she gets wind that I'm even thinking about another homebirth, especially with what happened last time. With DS1, she didn't find out about the homebirth until just a couple of months before delivery time (and it was unavoidable telling her, b/c she directly asked me. It was actually amusing how the conversation went down prior to that question, lol). She worried about it but I think she was more in shock than anything and didn't say too much until quite some time later, lol.

DH and I are definitely going to pray about it and think about it and talk some more, both with the midwife and with the OB. I think after the conversations with the care providers, things will be clearer. I'll try to remember to come back and update.
The postpartum recovery was sad for me after being in a hospital for so long after my cs. :-) I REAAALLY missed having all the help with getting to and from the bathroom and help with breastfeeding. Our mw was ok, but our lc in the hospital visited every 2-3 hours for the 3 days we were there pp, and our mw was only there like twice during that same time?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me I've had 9 HBAC, I'd never set foot in a hospital if we didn't have an emergency.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had a hospital VBAC and loved it. My OB and nurses were so supportive of my VBAC and that really made it a great experience. I had considered a HBAC, but since I live about 35 minutes from the hospital, it just felt safer to be in the hospital. Knowing that I had a team completely supporting my VBAC and doing everything they could for me made it an easy decision. I'm now looking forward to another VBAC in March! Definitely talk it over with your OB, and if you feel comfortable and believe they WILL coach you through the birth you want, then it just may be the right choice for you.

Last edited by Sunshine915; 08-31-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just called L&D at our local hospital. They do not have anesthesiologists in the building 24/7. My two full-term births have been in the middle of the night, so I think I might have just answered my question. Even though _I_ only live 5 minutes away, it's not likely that the doctors live that close.