Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I need encouragement...we are having a rough week.

A little background:

I started doing part-time EC with LO at 6 months (mostly in the morning and after naps and sometimes a few others during the day if I happened to catch them but I didn't want to stress over it.)

Around 12 months he started getting really upset about sitting on the potty, which coincided with walking and I decided to back off instead of make him unhappy and create a negative experience with the potty. Around 14 months he showed interest in the potty again so I let him play with it but he continued to wear diapers. I wish I would have started using the potty again at that time but I digress. :/

I have a friend who has a little girl the same age as DS and she wanted to start potty-learning so I jumped on-board with it and we did 3 days of naked time and then went to training pants, except at night he still wears a fitted with wool.

Things were going GREAT! Most days he was accident-free, except for poop (we haven't successfully gotten poop in the potty yet but I wasn't worried) and on the days he had an accident it was only once, maaaaybe twice and sometimes just a little wetness, like he stopped himself and would tell me "mama, pee-pee!" and we'd get the rest in the potty. He tells me most of the time when he needs to pee-pee by saying "pee-pee" and tells me immediately before or during that he needs to "poo-poo". He even says "uh-oh wet!" when he has a miss.

I was so thrilled at the progress we made in just 2 weeks and we seemed to be going strong and progressing closer and closer to getting poop in the potty..... till we hit the 4 week mark and then suddenly every thing fell apart!

Sunday he peed in his clothes at church while playing in nursery. I figured he got distracted. Monday we had a play group at our house and he had two pee accidents but was dry before and after everyone came over. I chalked it up to distraction again. Tuesday he didn't tell me once that he had to pee or poop and had 7 pee accidents and 3 poops in his pants. Wednesday was the same. He never told me he needed to go, which is not like him. Today (Thursday) has been more of the same... accident after accident after accident, only he did say "uh-oh wet" and started crying one time. The last time he peed was right before his nap and he was sitting right in front of me on the floor and we were reading a book. He didn't say anything. He just peed and sat there. I said "oh no... sweety, are you wet?" and he said "DRY!" and I said "uh-oh, you're wet. Pee-pee goes in the potty. Let's go to the potty" and he kept saying "dry, dry, dry, dry". He was soaked so he didn't pee any more.

I don't know what to do! I am so discouraged and while I'm not mad at him, I am totally confused at why he is suddenly not telling me when he needs to pee/poop. I am just so discouraged.

Does anyone have any advice or encouragement? Does it get better again? Have you had this happen? What should I do?

FWIW, he grew an inch in the last month and jumped from the 55th percentile in height to the 73rd percentile. And he is nursing like crazy the last 3 days. Would a growth spurt cause this problem? If so, should I just keep going and hope he goes back to telling me and using the potty? I'm so lost.

Advertisement

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 07-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need encouragement...we are having a rough week.

My daughter had a total potty strike at 20 months or so. It was so frustrating because she was in underwear all day, then she went to just not peeing on the potty and holding it until she just couldn't any more and peeing on the floor or in her carseat. SOOOOOO not happy.
It depends on the child, but my mom ended the strike by just waiting her out. I dropped her off with my mom for a few days while we took a vacation and apparently after DD woke up she would put her on the potty as usual, and told her that she could get up after she peed. She waited a LONG time, like maybe an hour or more? I think she gave her books or toys but she had to stay until she peed. But eventually she would have to go. My mom would just go about her regular stuff and talk to her while she was sitting on the potty. By the time we got back she was peeing on the potty regularly again, and there were no more strikes. I don't know that this would work with every child, but it did for my daughter. My mom had the time to spare (I really didn't as much), and my daughter is pretty good at listening to her, so she would stay on the potty when my mom said to.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi mama My LO is a little younger than yours. We started part time EC around 5.5 months and have maintained the part time approach. We offer the potty at changes when she is compliant/happy and have occasional naked time. We are basically in diapers full time and just use natural fiber CDs. I try to catch her signals and use intuition as well but am not super dedicated to it.

For awhile recently she was doing super well with pottying - I was starting to go a long time between diaper washes because she wasn't dirtying many. She was signaling a lot and loves her little potty. I was thinking to offer her undies soon. Then it suddenly (recently) stopped completely and she HATES the potty. Fights and cries if we so much as walk towards it. She is almost 14 months and seems generally frustrated about communication. I think she is on the verge of having lots of new words and talking more, and her brain is very busy working on language, so she just has no attention to spare on pottying. I am hoping that once this pause is over she will reach a new level with pottying and telling us when she has to go, but who knows. I am following her lead for when she is ready for underwear and going diaper free, and she is not there yet.

Anyway I know this may not be useful advice but I thought sharing where my DD was at could help you feel better about your DS. I think it is pretty normal to go back to diapers for awhile even when baby has been out of them for awhile, it is not a linear process and whatever keeps your communication and relationship good is the way to go. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need encouragement...we are having a rough week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
My daughter had a total potty strike at 20 months or so. It was so frustrating because she was in underwear all day, then she went to just not peeing on the potty and holding it until she just couldn't any more and peeing on the floor or in her carseat.
That is EXACTLY what I feel like happened! Yes! And it is sooooo frustrating! I feel better knowing that we are not the only ones and that I (hopefully) didn't do anything *wrong*. I worry like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Anyway I know this may not be useful advice but I thought sharing where my DD was at could help you feel better about your DS. I think it is pretty normal to go back to diapers for awhile even when baby has been out of them for awhile, it is not a linear process and whatever keeps your communication and relationship good is the way to go. Good luck!
Actually, it was really helpful! It is just nice to hear that this is normal and like you said, it isn't a linear process (much like other developmental milestones) so I just feel more at ease. Thank you!

Since I wrote this, we got our new Bjorn little potty in the mail and LO is totally in-LOVE with it! I don't know why but it seems to have rekindled his interest in the potty and in telling me he needs to go! He is now reversing the use of the words pee-pee and poo-poo, which is weird since he always used them correctly before, but either way, I know he needs the potty so it works!

I am relieved but also feel more relaxed about it. If he does this again, I'm just gonna wait it out. I can deal with the messes. Really. I just needed to know that it was normal and there was an end in sight. He isn't back to doing exactly as well as before but he is using the potty more than not so I'm thrilled!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps up the positive progress but if we go back a few steps (or a bunch), I'm okay.... (deep breaths.... lol)

Thank you so much for sharing!

If anyone else has similar experiences to share, I would still love to hear them! I just need to fill my bucket with positive reinforcement so I can get through the rough patches!

ETA: the potty that got us back on track!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 07-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote