Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:
WWYD...DR or no?

Click image for larger version

Name:	071912150938.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	113570

My ds is 6. He was busy running around playing all morning, then helped me by vacuuming the stairs. Around 3 pm i noticed this on his side.

It is about the size of my palm, warm to the touch, itches, and benedryl has not improved its appearance at all.

Do you think i should take him in tomorrow to have it looked at? Im pretty sure its a bite, however there is no obvious bite mark. We have been doing some serious deep cleaning and i have chased several spiders from their hiding places.

I will be checking it out in the morning, but dont really know what to look for as far as signs that he needs to be seen.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I think I would just keep an eye on it and watch his behavior. Have you applied anything to the area? Coconut oil, colloidal silver, tea tree oil, etc?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Looks like a welt, not a bite. I would leave it alone. And watch for 24-48 hours.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD...DR or no?

Is it hard? I would take him because you said it was warm and it could be cellulitis which can follow a bug bite. My son had a bite and the nurse told me to take him to the er because they treat cellulitis aggressively. Hoping it isn't that, just wanted to give you one possibility.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it is still there in the morning, I'd take him in, and I have to pay cash for our appointments ($8000 deductible).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

I havent put anything on it. I just gave him benedryl thinking it was either a nasty spider bite or a hive.

It does feel a little hard to the touch, but when you press on it, it takes a second to fill back out and the color to completely return.

I will definitely check it in the morning and if it is any worse, or there is no improvement at all, I will call the dr and get him a same day appt.

I was thinking about it earlier and he had been outside earlier this morning. I wonder if a bee got him, but I would think he would come to me crying. I know his grandma is allergic to bees and her whole arm would swell if she got stung on the finger. Its been so long though since Ive had to deal with even a bee sting, Im not sure what to look for.

What kind of things would cause just one big random hive to show up like that? None of my children have ever had hives or anything like this. The closest I can think of would be ydd reaction to mosquitos, but it was no where near this big.

ETA: I just went in to wake him and give him the next dose of benedryl and checked on it. It the not so great light in my bedroom, it looks like it might be getting better. We'll see what it looks like in the morning and go from there.

Last edited by pepsichic9115; 07-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
pepsichic9115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsichic9115 View Post
I havent put anything on it. I just gave him benedryl thinking it was either a nasty spider bite or a hive.

It does feel a little hard to the touch, but when you press on it, it takes a second to fill back out and the color to completely return.

I will definitely check it in the morning and if it is any worse, or there is no improvement at all, I will call the dr and get him a same day appt.

I was thinking about it earlier and he had been outside earlier this morning. I wonder if a bee got him, but I would think he would come to me crying. I know his grandma is allergic to bees and her whole arm would swell if she got stung on the finger. Its been so long though since Ive had to deal with even a bee sting, Im not sure what to look for.

What kind of things would cause just one big random hive to show up like that? None of my children have ever had hives or anything like this. The closest I can think of would be ydd reaction to mosquitos, but it was no where near this big.

ETA: I just went in to wake him and give him the next dose of benedryl and checked on it. It the not so great light in my bedroom, it looks like it might be getting better. We'll see what it looks like in the morning and go from there.
I wish I had some advice to add, but I did want to say that I hope it's better in the morning. Keep us posted.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

get a pen and trace around it so tomorrow you can easily see if it's getting bigger or smaller.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
get a pen and trace around it so tomorrow you can easily see if it's getting bigger or smaller.
Good idea. My cousin used to have mosquito bites that would swell to about twice that size. Thought I would share because you mentioned possible mosquito reaction. Hope it's better in the am.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
My mosquito bites can turn like that. I often can't find the actual bite spot until the swelling goes down. They stay like this for a week, sometimes longer, before it starts to go down. It is gets rubbed up to 2 weeks after the bite it goes back to super itchy and raised