Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy BF while pregnant is VERY painful

I bf my DS when I was pregnant with DD and had no problems or pain. DD will be two in Sept which is when I wanted to wean her. I would be 4 months pregnant at that point (been nursing STRAIGHT since 2008 so I'll get a break before the next kiddo). When I first started to feel sick (mid May) nursing her was painful. She is a pro so she is not latching wrong, nothing has changed except me being pregnant. The part that HURTS is her latching on and when she releases as she likes to pull and smack her lips. The actual nursing is relatively painless. I have no damage (visual at least), no redness, blistering, bleeding etc just tenderness. Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do to make it stop hurting? I only have 2 more months to go but man oh man does it hurt when she latches on. If I don't bf until 24 months I'll feel like I've shortchanged her and since I breastfed her brother until 25 months I'll feel guilty for not being fair.

I don't want to stop nursing, just stop the pain. Is it possible?

Its been like this for 11 weeks now. I guess whats 8 more weeks gonna do right? right? right?

Advertisement

Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is 20 months (I'm committed to 2-years too) and I've noticed the pain for me comes and goes, some days are easier to tolerate than others. I think I just suck it up since I have my goal in mind and I know DD is not ready to wean at all right now, and I'd feel SO guilty if I quit.

I don't have advice to help but I can say you are not alone

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF while pregnant is VERY painful

hugs, my ds is 21+ months old andi want him to wean when he wants..it is a bit painful but not aweful, for me it's more of a squirmy irritated feeling...but i hate that this pregnancy is usurping him
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have nursed straight through each of my pregnancies after my first dd. For me, the pain seems to come and go, but is never really unbearable. I don't want to wean dd until she decides that she doesn't want to nurse any longer, so I just suck it up.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Blueberry32
Registered Users

I totally get where you're coming from. My dd is just 2 and is still very attached to nursing. The painful latch has slowly started to go away but the whole time she is nursing I feel squirmy and uncomfortable (hard to explain). I would really like to wean her but she just loves it so much I am trying my best to suck it up. I have managed to decrease the amount of nursing sessions a lot, which has helped. She still nurses to sleep and I have no idea what we will do when that is no longer an option.
I too, would really like a break before #2 comes along.
Blueberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, both the pain and the crawling out of your skin feeling are quite common when nursing while pregnant. I nurse my toddler every 1-2 hours during the day and he's pretty much permanently latched on at night, so I hear ya. I also have physical damage from him scraping his teeth along my nipple while pulling back in his sleep, possibly because my supply has dropped a bit; little thin scabs from his teeth. Ouch!

I'll keep nursing throughout the pregnancy and tandem feed afterward, like you did with your last 2. I've found some relief from the leftover Dr. Jack Newman APNO which I still had from when he was a newborn. Can you get a RX for it? I know I had to drive to a specific pharmacy to get it even after my midwife prescribed it. HTH!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
Yes, both the pain and the crawling out of your skin feeling are quite common when nursing while pregnant. I nurse my toddler every 1-2 hours during the day and he's pretty much permanently latched on at night, so I hear ya. I also have physical damage from him scraping his teeth along my nipple while pulling back in his sleep, possibly because my supply has dropped a bit; little thin scabs from his teeth. Ouch!

I'll keep nursing throughout the pregnancy and tandem feed afterward, like you did with your last 2. I've found some relief from the leftover Dr. Jack Newman APNO which I still had from when he was a newborn. Can you get a RX for it? I know I had to drive to a specific pharmacy to get it even after my midwife prescribed it. HTH!
what is that? a cream? how do u get it prescribed? U just tell ur ob/gyn that u have nipple pain during breastfeeding?
SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

OP sounds EXACTLY like me in terms of nursing while preggo. I found out i was preggo because of the oncoming nausea. It was then at two months that I too started feeling SUDDEN discomfort. I had never ever in the 1.5 years of nursing dd had any issues with anything breast-related. And even during my periods or during my pregnancy with her, my breasts were 100% unaffected, no tenderness no nothing. SO this is brand new to me in all my life of having breasts. They became very tender and the nipple...well I had to cover them in the shower to prevent the water from hitting them. That phase has passed but I am 28 weeks today and just last night as I do every. single. time. she. latches. I cringe my teeth and it takes the breath out of me. I can't believe i've made it this long and am determined to continue since ive made it this far. im hoping it goes away after i give birth. My DD too is a PRO. Her latch was always perfect. And she had full teeth way before i got preggo. She ALSO has this horrible habit now of pulling away and scraping off when shes done, mainly when she is night nursing and falls asleep. I cant fall asleep before her because i HAVE to make sure i anticipate her rhythms and try my hardest to unlatch her before she does and causes me to SCREAM ((( i have found no relief and my nipples are constantly itchy, but i have no yeast or anything. they itch as in a painful itch, like if they are in a bra for too long or touched. otherwise they are fine. do u have this itchy nipple feeling too?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'll get the itchy feeling sometimes when DD is nursing.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Tell 'Em View Post
I'll get the itchy feeling sometimes when DD is nursing.
interesting i remember when my milk came in first time around my breasts were itchy, and when I would get let down (which was forceful and give me instant engorgement due to oversupply), they would itch bad suddenly, so much so that when I would get the sudden itch i knew that i needed baby or a pump asap because major leakage was going to ensue. I asked my LC and she was a little confused. But then I thought about it and figured it is perfectly normal for a growing pregnant belly to itch (mine didn't) so why not the skin of ur breasts as they triple in size when ur milk comes or the sudden increase in size due to engorgement? My nipples were unaffected that time but now my nipples itch the way an elastic mark on ur skin would if it was something u were wearing that is too tight (hence when they get out of a bra and are a little moist they ITCH). Sometimes despite the pain, I WANT dd to nurse so that the slight pulling can ease the itch-and it does actually. My breasts do not get engorged at all (although I swear I feel phantom let down!!!-for a split second at random times in the day and then my nipples get erect out of nowhere and it itches like mad for a few seconds) but maybe the nipples are growing due to pregnancy and that's why they itch??? Or I guess it's just the crazy hormones-same hormones that make us restless when nursing, maybe it literally makes our skin crawl lol-on our nips. I hate when DH goes anywhere NEAR them. Anyway, all of this craziness happened exactly when my 1st trimester nausea slowly began to creep in so im counting on it going away after birth...