Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF while pregnant is VERY painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSoldier View Post
what is that? a cream? how do u get it prescribed? U just tell ur ob/gyn that u have nipple pain during breastfeeding?
Yes, it stands for All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Dr. Newman is to breastfeeding as the Drs. Sears are to attachment parenting. I got a prescription from my midwife during the first few weeks of nursing when I was really struggling with pain from poor latch (followed by a yeast infection). My GP could also prescribe it if I ran out, but I'm still using the same original small vial. It helps to heal your nipples, while also providing light topical pain relief.

If you live in an area where people haven't heard of Dr. Jack Newman ( ), then check this link for the nearest pharmacy that makes it and/or provide your doctor or midwife with the ingredient list. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

I'm telling you, this has saved my breastfeeding relationship twice now, when my toes were curling in pain at every latch. Not everyone needs it, but if it's a choice between weaning early (or not starting) vs. rubbing on a thin layer of cream...I'd say get the RX.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
Yes, it stands for All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Dr. Newman is to breastfeeding as the Drs. Sears are to attachment parenting. I got a prescription from my midwife during the first few weeks of nursing when I was really struggling with pain from poor latch (followed by a yeast infection). My GP could also prescribe it if I ran out, but I'm still using the same original small vial. It helps to heal your nipples, while also providing light topical pain relief.

If you live in an area where people haven't heard of Dr. Jack Newman ( ), then check this link for the nearest pharmacy that makes it and/or provide your doctor or midwife with the ingredient list. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

I'm telling you, this has saved my breastfeeding relationship twice now, when my toes were curling in pain at every latch. Not everyone needs it, but if it's a choice between weaning early (or not starting) vs. rubbing on a thin layer of cream...I'd say get the RX.
wow thanks mama! I will share this with my bfing mamas who havent heard of it and i will bring it up to my midwife. I figured there was nothing i could do and i never knew of this cream! So i didnt complain about it at my visits but if it helps and it's available i am all for it! Glad it worked for u so well. I agree with ur sentiment
SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
momomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, I had the worst pain when I nursed my first son while I was pregnant with my second. He was only 13 months when I got pregnant. My nipples were sooooooo sore. While my breasts are really sore this time around, my nipples aren't sore. I don't think I'd have a problem nursing right now if I had a child nursing. My son finally self-weaned around 15.5 months, I think because my supply had dwindled down to next to nothing and he LOVED solids anyhow, it was weird how easily he just stopped as he was a mega boob lover. But I just think there wasn't anything there anymore. I was pretty thankful he weaned because it was excruciating to nurse. Hopefully it starts feeling better for you!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was painful when I nursed my DS while pregnant with DD, but this time around, it doesn't bother me at all. DD nurses about 3-4 times a day and there's no pain at all (not that I'm complaining)