Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Whits01
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Am I overreacting?

We're having a little bit of head-butting in my family about the date for my son's baptism...

My sister and her husband are going to be his godparents, and they live in WA, we live in TN. They are traveling to town the weekend of Labor Day for a friend's wedding, which is really good timing.They're planning to fly in on Friday morning and fly home Monday night to make it back to work on Tuesday. BUT - the wedding is 3 hours away, and spread out over 3 days!! There's something Friday night, the wedding is Saturday morning, then the reception is Sunday night.
We have to schedule our son's baptism, (which I feel should be FIRST priority) around this crazy extravaganza.

If it's on Monday, my husband won't have to take off work, any local family who wants to attend could, since it's a holiday, and the priest I want is available. My sister's throwing a fit about wanting to have it on Friday because it's more convenient for the two of them.

Am I overreacting, being upset that she's putting a friend's wedding WEEKEND over her nephew's baptism??

Advertisement

Last edited by Whits01; 07-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Whits01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I overreacting?

no! Who has a wedding weekend unless it is on an island?

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Was the wedding was planned first, and you chose that weekend for the baptism because your sister will already be in town for the wedding?
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
bea2269
Registered Users

Yes. She is traveling to town for a wedding first and foremost. You should move the baptism to accommodate her, or you can choose different godparents. The way I read it, it sounds as if you want to piggyback your child's baptism onto their friend's wedding plans. Did your sister suggest this or say it was a good idea?
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just say we're having the baptismm on monday, we've tried to make it so EVERYONE can come, if you can make it great! if you can't come thats too bad.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday.

However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday. However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday.

However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.
I agree. First and foremost, they've promised to attend a friend's wedding. You may find it less important, but they don't, so I would either accommodate, change the date, or choose other God parents.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I'm missing how it would be more convenient for them to go on Friday than Monday. If they have something for the wedding on Friday, but nothing for the wedding on Monday, it would seem that would be a better day. And, assuming they are flying out of Nashville, then wouldn't being in Clarksville on Monday put them closer to the airport, as it'd only be about an hour away? I mean, I'm assuming that if the wedding is 3 hours from Clarksville, it's about 2 hours from Nashville.

But, yeah, it makes most sense to me to put the baptism on the day that the most people can be there who would want to be there. If your sister is pitching a big fit about the day, what kind of godparent is she going to make? Granted, if you change your mind on that, you've got to find someone else and also deal with the fall out of the change.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I do think you need to work with her a bit on timing since they're in town for the wedding. But she needs to be flexible as well unless she's willing to spend more money on flights to come again for your specific event.

It doesn't sound like Monday is a conflict with any wedding festivities so what is her issue with having it that day?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote